BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How to gain credits in game design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Shakra
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hey guys I am an avid game designer. I have designed a magic the gathering set, a mini- board game. etc. But I was wondering how I can get someone to look at my work and see my attributes as a game designer without having a legal issue with intellectual property law. I know a head designer at Wizards of the Coast as he was from my home town but he cannot look at my design work, nor does he know enough about my design aptitude to give me a recommendation. My reason for asking this is there is an internship at Riot Games who made the popular League Of Legends game with came from Dota All-Stars on warcraft III. Originally, when i was in 8/9th grade when the Mod came out I submitted lots of ideas on the mod's websites forums which were implemented in the live updates of the game. Later on when League of legends and other Moba's were being developed the websites data was I assumed copied off the internet and put into the companies databases deleting the content and not crediting anyone. I understand it was my fault for not owning the ideas but back then i was just doing it for fun didn't think the game would take off the way it has now. So how can I prove myself to Riot Games that I am a great designer and how can I get people to recommend me for game design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Board Game Design.

Hopefully someone can shed some light...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shakra
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Should i make a TLDR ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to show then some designs as part of an applicationn process. The other option could be to try PnP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronchakra wrote:
Should i make a TLDR ?

Honestly, if someone can't read through the five or six lines in your post I would question their capacity to give you any useful advice!

If you ask me, the answer is simple, but not easy, and probably not what you want to hear. That is, you should just publish what things you have designed, make people aware of them, listen to feedback and continue to develop yourself and your skills... and so on. You mention that you've designed a mini board game? Post it on the design forum here, talk about what you were doing with it, see if people like it. Re-theme it if you're worried about copyrights, trademarks and all that. If you think there's something interesting that you've done with your Magic set, and you aren't using other people's artwork, then post that - people post fan-made supplements/additions to commercial games all the time. Keep designing games, trying new things, honing your skills. The more games stuff you design, the bigger your portfolio when you go looking for game design jobs. (Although I don't know how much people in videogames think boardgames are relevant.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shakra
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
well i don't know how to code characters in league of legends or even draw them. But for their scaling hp, abilities, etc. I'm very good at coming up with elegant designs. I just don't know how to go to school for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure people in the Magic forum here would be happy to give you feedback on your set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron

Are you in High School, graduated or in College or planning on going to college?

It's not a matter of simply talking someone at Riot Games, you have to look at their open positions and see what skills those positions require

taking a look at their webpage http://www.riotgames.com/careers

There have a wide range of positions open right now

Let's use the assistant game designer position as an example

As Assistant Game Designer, you’ll learn about game design directly from the people that work on League of Legends. You’ll unleash your design skills as you help the team create, test and implement game mechanics and content like champion abilities, items and summoner spells. You’ll level up your play with daily games while working behind the scenes testing new features.

Work closely with designers and producers to create, tune, and implement game content for League of Legends

Collaborate with engineers to support implementation of game features

Develop game systems and design mechanics while testing early-stage play balance

To Apply

Click the button below and don’t forget your resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.

Also include a list of your 10 favorite games of all time, your League of Legends summoner name and the realm you play on.

Answer, in 150 words or less, “What is the worst-designed ability in League of Legends, and why?”

Tally your score using our point system: give yourself 2 points if you’re attending or you’ve graduated from one of the top 25 universities on this Forbes list or the US News national ranking, or the top 10 of the US News liberal arts ranking, or Digipen or Guildhall. Add 1 point for achieving gold rank in a previous season, or if you’re currently 1800+ Elo in any queue, plus an additional point if you’ve won significant awards for game development outside of your immediate educational program (list ‘em).

Write a three sentence description of why you’re an exceptional candidate we should especially value; focus on stand-out characteristics or accomplishments that differentiate you from other applicants.

Also check out some of the questions about the intern positions, they tell you want they want to see from applicants
http://www.riotgames.com/internships

Pretty much all the video game studios and publishers post exactly what they are looking for from candidates in the various positions. Check out the companies here
www.gamedevmap.com/

If you are looking into college programs for game design check out
www.fullsail.edu/
www.artinstitutes.edu
www.cs.ucsc.edu/game-design
www.westwood.edu

Also check out the ranking of different programs here
http://www.princetonreview.com/game-design.aspx

This will give you an idea of which program work directly with industry and have a track record of placing students in jobs right after graduation

As far as recommendations for a job application you generally get those from either academic (professors) or professional (co-workers)source

Having games you have worked on before is certainly good for a portfolio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG.

Some game designer notes.

First off. Your IP is automatically protected. Your game mechanics are not other than exactly as written. Its complex, but if you stay in the gaming biz long enough you get used to it.

Second off, IP theft is about nil. It does happen rarely, but its easy to spot and in the gaming biz is a death sentence. Last year a publisher was caught massively stealing games from other companies and was effectively shut down. Design theft is rare too. But theres a catch.

Third is the catch. Your unfinished design, WIP as it were, is worthless. Why? Because it is unfinished. BGG Design forum section is packed with WIPs that never saw completion. you dont steal failures. And once your game is on the shelves, its fair game. Luckily at worst somone will lift an element, a mechanic, etc. Rately the whole game as its easy to spot and again can end your career.

Forth. BGG is a great place to get feedback. Alot of games have started here now as WIPs or PnP endeavors and gone on to get published as various publishers look in now and then for something interesting. RoboDerby Express is a good recent example as it was picked up from its PnP version and became Pirate Dice. Drawback is. Some companies refuse game designs that have been posted on the net anywhere. But those companies are also often not taking submissions anyhow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shakra
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I finished my 2 year at a community college and am currently enrolled in a 4 year to finish my 4 year degree. I'm part of an University parallel track. I didn't do very hot in high school as a i was always busy working on mods in WC3 and playing around with gary's mod and such. So I ended up going to a community college. I'm always coming up with new ideas for games etc. One time when i was in 4th grade i came up with an idea for a person to talk to their pokemon back when i was into that game. It was where you can talk to your pokemon and tell it what to do. A few years later N64 had a game called hey you pikachu that had that same exact feature.It was a flop but none the less i came up with an idea that someone else created. I've always wanted to be a game designer, i just need to get my foot in the door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice command games pop up on occasion. Echelon was one of the first I ever saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Robles
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Aaron, I hate to be this guy but the first bit of advice you need to take is to format your communications in a somewhat professional way. By ignoring paragraph breaks you will automatically limit your audience, some by unwillingness to slog through your block of text and others that assume that your writing style signifies that any advice given to you will be wasted effort.

Look at this as what it is, you are asking strangers who are either professionals or avid hobbyists for advice in the career you wish to enter. If you approached a publisher at a trade show would you slouch and scratch your ass? Would you punctuate every thought with "like," "uhm," or "y'know?"

As someone who gets a few dozen inquires for jobs, internships, or sponsorship requests per year I can say that any that resemble your posts in this thread are not considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron, have you posted this here before or on Linkedin? If not then someone posted the exact same question about wanting to work for Riot games because they were a fan of their games. I know I have seen and responded to this question before sometime in the last few months. Either that or I am getting senile before my time

While all designers will not have the same background there are clear paths into the video game industry. The companies tell candidates exactly what they are looking at for open positions.

One thing to consider is attending one of the developers conferences, just like with the toy and board game industry this is the best way to network

www.gdconf.com/ this is one of man

One issue with the industry though is that it’s a seller’s market, meaning there are less jobs than qualified candidates as studios come and go as they are bought out, closed, etc. So there are always going to be dozens of applicants for every position.

So you have to be able to stand out from all the other candidates.. For example you might be interested in design, but what else can you offer the company? Can you do coding, art, do you have experience with play testing, how about writing? You have to show that your are versatile and can work on a complete project not just one aspect of the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.