Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
109 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How do you choose your color and does it mean something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a light thread. I love colors in games. In fact, I love colors. Period. And admiring all the vivid colors on the board of Dungeon Petz yesterday evening, I thought of this possibly interesting discussion if you are willing to participate...

I wonder what fundamentally motivate the choice of a color over another before the beginning of a game. I usually choose the color that reflects my mood on that day or the color that I find the most pretty on that game. All greens or all blues are not equal and the given shade in some games is way better than in others.

Some threads test which is the favorite color of everyone, some others propose meaning for each color, but do you yourself have a motivation in your color choice other than to remember what are your own components? Do you convey a message by playing your favorite color?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying til' you run out of cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blue... always blue... no one else can have blue

It's my favorite color and because I've played with blue so much, if I'm not blue, I will make mistakes thinking I am blue at some point during the game.

If blue isn't available, then white... it usually contrasts well and is easy to see...

I also tend to design with blue and white an awful lot outside of gaming...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play purple any time there is an option to...which isn't very often.

When there's not purple, I ask my boyfriend to pick first and then pick whichever colour 'speaks' to me, hahahaha. That makes no sense... and there's no reasoning at all. It's just like picking your pizza slice. Haha.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play red because I always play red. If I don't, I will still grab the red pieces and think they're mine.

Camdin wrote:
do you yourself have a motivation in your color choice other than to remember what are your own components? Do you convey a message by playing your favorite color?

Nope. If red doesn't exist as a player color, then I'll take whatever's left over.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't care what my color is. So I let everyone pick first, then I pick whatever is left.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
I really don't care what my color is. So I let everyone pick first, then I pick whatever is left.


Me2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to choose Red, it has always been my favorite color. Or I play black. either way my wife still wins.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlett_O wrote:
It's just like picking your pizza slice. Haha.


Where are you getting these wonderful rainbow pizzas? Here in NY you just pick between thin crust and thick.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually invite guests to choose their colours first and take whatever's left.

If I choose, I tend to go for red, it's my football team's colour - see avatar Otherwise I like green, otherwise whatever is left.

Similarly, my wife tends to blue or navy as it's her team's colour. In two player games, we will more likely than not have red and blue as our colours.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm playing with new gamers, they get to pick first. Otherwise forget it, I'm playing with blue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No singular preference, though I like red, green, and blue. If other players are picky, I choose whatever it left over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I like the whole "natural" wood grain look. If that isn't available, and it rarely is, then I go white.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I did not think I would have so many answers so quickly! Thanks!

I see that many of you, after having the courtesy of letting a guest choose first, will play the same color over and over again, if possible.

Do you think that, apart from helping you locate easily where are your components on the board, this color choice influences your type of play?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually pick orange if it's available. It's because I'm from Florida, so I have to show a little Florida pride no matter how weird our state can get. To be honest though, the color doesn't matter to me. I usually pick colors I haven't played in a while, so I end up playing different colors all of the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take whatever colour there is but will never CHOOSE red if I have a choice. Mainly because it's the colour that Arsenal play in and they're the biggest rivals for Tottenham.

I'll take it if all the other colours are gone (rather than not play for example) and I won't whinge about it but I won't choose it. My wife's good actually cos if others play our games with us we let them choose colours first and if red and another colour are left, she'll always take red to help me out!


I'll only take red when playing as Britain in Napoleonic war games.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
I like the whole "natural" wood grain look. If that isn't available, and it rarely is, then I go white.


The correct word for this is nude. And I also like to play nude
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
This was a triumph
badge
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying til' you run out of cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jheaney wrote:
If I'm playing with new gamers, they get to pick first. Otherwise forget it, I'm playing with blue.


You're nicer than me lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play purple when it is available.

Otherwise, it's "Black, like my soul."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy wortley jr.
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
i play red whenever i can, which luckily is all the time. worse case i use whatever is left unless it's purple than i won't play. purple is ugly and should never have become a color.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I pick green. It means I like green.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play green when I can. When green isn't available I pick last of what is available after others have chosen.

If green is in a game and I don't play as green, I end up getting confused and moving the green pieces anyway, so...

That said if I am playing with someone else that loves green, I allow them to have green and I make due with a lesser color.

I never play red. Red means stop. (in fact I replaced the discs in Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small with Green and Purple meeples, because blue and red didn't appeal to my wife or I)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Norwalk
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I take whatever is left after everyone has picked. If purple is a choice after all players pick I will take it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
You call me a masterless man? You are wrong. I am my own master.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm playing with my wife, it's always blue, as that's my favorite color. I'll take blue if possible, but if there are several people I'll see what the situation is first - after blue I tend to go for red or black.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Caedmus wrote:
blue... always blue... no one else can have blue ;)

It's my favorite color and because I've played with blue so much, if I'm not blue, I will make mistakes thinking I am blue at some point during the game.
.


I could've said this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. In Agricola I try to pick one which stands out from the cards so it's easier to see the pieces.

In Dominant species I try to pick the color matching the animal's natural resources.


If this was quake team game then team mates would be blue and other team red. In regular multiplayer I would avoid red because that's obviously the most aggressive and kill kill kill and opt for something beige to try to not be seen ;D

I'd do the same in a team game of Warcraft III. Can't really handle four different players with mine and team mates switching even though it would be good to separate the two enemies. So I'd often (earlier at least) opt to play with "team colors" on so my team had one color but my units separated from those and the other team a different color.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.