Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ross Levine
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really frustrated after our last game. There is literally one chance to hit the psionic satellite when it's on track T-6.

T-6: |-----|X--Y-|-Y--Z|

Psionic Satellite: 5 HP, 2 Shields
Cannot be targeted at distance 3

X: All players in this zone are delayed
Y: All players on the ship are delayed
Z: All players on the ship are knocked out

Due to the delay effects, it's only possible to hit the satellite when it's exactly 5 spaces from the ship. We had 2 other serious threats to deal with on top of the satellites and just got our butts handed to us. I think this is the first time I thought a game of Space Alert was just plain unfair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially you need 7 damage in one turn. That means a player needs to be sitting in an adjacent station, ready to double move-in and fire on the thing on the appropriate turn. And he'll need help in the form of a rocket, interceptors, and/or lower guns with pulse to finish it. It's extremely hard to plan correctly.

One thing that my group has learned (though we're still poor at it) is that things aren't always perfect. Sometimes there's another threat that can be ignored in face of the real mission critical problems like this one.

But it is possible to get dealt a nearly impossible task in this game. And I think I like it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, what you need is someone with the Special Ops specialization, like me, on your crew. They also need to know how to use it (which would require someone not like me). Preventing delays is awesome.

Should also point out that once the expansion was released, the designer acknowledged that some scenarios may not be possible to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I love the Hyperjump specialization. We have simply skipped certain threats before, because they won't kill us before we warp out early.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't do specializations, which we found takes the fun out of things.

That said, it's missions like this that keeps the game interesting. And, as mentioned above, they're doable, with finesse on a 7 attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.