Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately it would require going back in time and showing how it was doing well and had fans excited until that movie deal went south. It'd probably show at Sundance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not failed as it just... stopped...

As things progress I feel more and more that it may not be the movie deal that is the problem. You dont make deals that prevent the product from existing. A MP movie could come out and everyone would go, "huh? Whats Monsterpocalypse? Oh, that game that vanished years ago. Who cares."

Game based movies rely n the game for essentially free advertising.

So it feels like it must be something else. Wasnt poor sales as from all accounts sales picked up after the switch to non-collectible.

In the end though the game is still effectively discontinued. Which is frustrating as it was the PP staff themselves who got me re-connected with the game after a disasterous start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All collectible miniature games die after a year or so, from a retail standpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not true. Some have hung on a good while. But the push has been to go non-Collectible by retailers so at some point the game either putters out, or changes formats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
All collectible miniature games die after a year or so, from a retail standpoint.

Assuming facts not in evidence. They printed Mechwarrior expansions for four years; I don't think they took a loss for three years to do so. And they still make HeroClix today, 10 years after it first came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Yugblad wrote:

Assuming facts not in evidence. They printed Mechwarrior expansions for four years; I don't think they took a loss for three years to do so. And they still make HeroClix today, 10 years after it first came out.

I stand corrected!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read something on another forum that I totally agree with. That this endless, newsless, wait would be easier to take if they had of released series 6. And not left the second run of factions incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsterpocalypse didn't fail, it's a great game, in fact I'd go so far as to say its one of the best miniature games I've ever played. Its rules are so tight, its so strategic and just so awesome.

What DID fail seems to be Privateer Press. Their dismissal of the game has killed it and although I would be easily tempted back by a revival (with Block 2 completed and sold in non-collectable format) they may have killed it for many.

Well, that along with their inability to pack either boosters or Battleboxes/DMZs correctly- I know of so many miss-packs just in the sets between me and my friends its shocking.

The only way I could imagine the film effecting PP's decision to kill the game would be if they are holding off releasing the other stuff until AFTER the film has arrived, maximising sales whilst the interest is fresh, but this is dangerous as its been proven on more then one occasion that upsetting your fan base is not good for business.

There's no denying they haven't upset fans, even there fallout with Team Covenant, the single biggest pusher for Monpoc on the web, shows stuff hasn't gone too well for Monpoc. I'm not holding my breath. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narlgoth wrote:
The only way I could imagine the film effecting PP's decision to kill the game would be if they are holding off releasing the other stuff until AFTER the film has arrived, maximising sales whilst the interest is fresh.

That would be the worst possible approach. You dont cancel a game mid stride when a movie is upcoming and wait. As said above, all that generates is a "oh... that game that vanished... who cares." reaction.

Worse yet. With Pacific Rim coming out soon, and then a new US Godzilla movie sometime later, they could have been reaping the incidental kickback of renewed interest in giant monsters and games with them.

In the end the game is still currently shut down when it shouldnt be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.