Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: How do you store your ziplock and magazine games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since dipping my toe into wargaming, I've acquired a few games that come without boxes, either in ziplock baggies or as part of a magazine. They currently rest in a pile on my games shelf, but I am looking for nicer ways of storing them.

While I'm at it, I'm also thinking about how to sort and store the counters - a full size counter tray is often overkill for these smaller offerings, and I have yet to find half-size counter trays. So I usually go with smaller ziplocks for the counters.

How do you folks store your boxless games? Do you have any suggestions that look a bit more attractive on the shelf than a pile of plastic bags? How do you store counters for these games, particularly less than a decent tray's worth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lady Solitas wrote:
Since dipping my toe into wargaming, I've acquired a few games that come without boxes, either in ziplock baggies or as part of a magazine. They currently rest in a pile on my games shelf, but I am looking for nicer ways of storing them.

While I'm at it, I'm also thinking about how to sort and store the counters - a full size counter tray is often overkill for these smaller offerings, and I have yet to find half-size counter trays. So I usually go with smaller ziplocks for the counters.

How do you folks store your boxless games? Do you have any suggestions that look a bit more attractive on the shelf than a pile of plastic bags? How do you store counters for these games, particularly less than a decent tray's worth?

I don't have too many, so it's not a big problem for me, but I store mine in plastic sleeves in ring binders, something like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a place to by plain white boxes in roughly the same dimensions as a GMT box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
awdougherty wrote:
Is there a place to by plain white boxes in roughly the same dimensions as a GMT box?

GMT sells them. They're not cheap though - I think I paid $6 for the box I bought to house Sweden Fights On (I got a ziploc edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For ziplocked and magazine games I use shelves with cubby holes.
For the counters I mainly use small compartment boxes of different sizes which I store in rolling drawer trollies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I keep them in folders in priority mail boxes.

The counters separately in baggies in smaller boxes.

Both sets sorted by era, and then alphabetically within the era.

I used to have a file cabinet to hold them, but couldn't haul that
around, and I haven't found one in the trash recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j page
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
[/q]

I don't have too many, so it's not a big problem for me, but I store mine in plastic sleeves in ring binders, something like this:

[/q]

+1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
Lady Solitas wrote:

Same here...

I've added more such games to my collection since these pictures were taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing fancy, just a filing cabinet.

Each drawer holds 70-90 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hladik
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have too many, these are nice...

http://www.atomagazine.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=60&category=5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
monongahela wrote:

+1.

+2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
I store mine much like Enrico does although I've boxed a few. I have them sorted by there historical era. I have one rather large box with all my ziplock, magazine, eastfront games in. I also print out my own boxcovers on full sheet label paper. One of them is the representative image for Death in the Trenches: The Great War, 1914-1918

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have that many ziplock/magazine games (about a dozen) and I have most of them in large 9" x 12" envelopes and store those in a cardboard file box - the kind with individual pockets that are sometimes indexed. That way I can carry them all anywhere I need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
mbmb
Amnese wrote:

+3, but the counters tend to bulge the binder out if you try and (cheaply, like me) put multiple plastic sleeves/games in one binder.

Wow. I am HUGELY impressed with some of the solutions presented here.

edit to fixed quoted name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup
desertfox2004 wrote:
Amnese wrote:
Lady Solitas wrote:

Same here...

I've added more such games to my collection since these pictures were taken.

Simply awesome...and inspirational. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I store them in the freezer so they don't spoil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
Just don't put them near the Euros or dexterity games - nothing good can come of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep them in the ziplock bags they came in, and stack them with the other games from the same publisher in my collection.

Most of my ziplock games are from Victory Point. But I have some of the minigames from Decision and about a half dozen S&T's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I found a company online that sells 4mil baggies of all sizes. A tad more expensive but very sturdy.
If any one is local and wants to go in on a larger order for Magazine sized stuff let me know, it makes a big deal on price.

I'll find the link at some point and post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Nikoms wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:
Just don't put them near the Euros or dexterity games - nothing good can come of that.

Why would anyone keep compost material in the freezer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"A Truth thats told with bad intent Beats all the Lies you can invent It is right it should be so Man was made for Joy & Woe And when this we rightly know Thro the World we safely go Joy & Woe are woven fine A Clothing for the soul divine ."
mbmb
hipshot wrote:
I found a company online that sells 4mil baggies of all sizes. A tad more expensive but very sturdy.
If any one is local and wants to go in on a larger order for Magazine sized stuff let me know, it makes a big deal on price.

Those sound great. I sometimes buy old S & T's from a place and the baggies have no seal at the top - just an opening for counters to fall out if you pick it up wrong.

I wish you could get nice 4-mil magazine-sized zips with a reinforced side and holes for 3 ring binder storage. The binder inserts I have found are not durable enough for the magazines.

The ones desertfox2004 has look as if the opening is on the long edge next to the binder spine and they are crimped around the other three edges. They look pretty tough...if you read this post, desertfox2004, at which office supply store did you find those, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
hipshot wrote:

Those sound great. I sometimes buy old S & T's from a place and the baggies have no seal at the top - just an opening for counters to fall out if you pick it up wrong.

I wish you could get nice 4-mil magazine-sized zips with a reinforced side and holes for 3 ring binder storage. The binder inserts I have found are not durable enough for the magazines.

The ones desertfox2004 has look as if the opening is on the long edge next to the binder spine and they are crimped around the other three edges. They look pretty tough...if you read this post, desertfox2004, at which office supply store did you find those, please?

I got everything you see in the pictures (except the games!) at "Staples".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:

Of course Euros are kept in the bathtub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep mine in expandable file folders grouped according to subject matter. The counters I keep in baggies in that folder with the map and magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Since I have put my C&C:A collection into one of those Plano fishing tackle monstrosities, I have some empty boxes lying about.

I dedicated one of those to hold my zip locked games. Works well enough, but I cannot see them easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.