11 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spending influence during interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
I was wondering about phases during interaction described in the rulebook.
It states on page 7:

"4. Once a player has calculated their Influence total, he can spend
his Influence points on whatever the site offers."

Stating that you have to calculate your influence total before you can spend it during the interaction. However it also states:

"You can use a newly recruited Unit immediately (but you
cannot use an Influence effect of that Unit to pay its own
cost)"

Does this mean you can use influence provided from units or not during the interaction?

Example Scenario 1:
If I bought an illusionist, could I use their influence ability right away to add to the influence total of the interaction? Such as to buy a second unit or skills or spells, etc.

Example Scenario 2:
If I used those illusionists to buy another unit, could I instantly replace the spent illusionists with the new unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zsionic wrote:
Example Scenario 1:
If I bought an illusionist, could I use their influence ability right away to add to the influence total of the interaction? Such as to buy a second unit or skills or spells, etc.

Yes.
zsionic wrote:
Example Scenario 2:
If I used those illusionists to buy another unit, could I instantly replace the spent illusionists with the new unit?

Uh, they cost 7 influence to buy, and their ability only gives you 4 influence. But yes, if you're one of those Mage Knights that likes to light up cigars with spare influence points, then go for it...

EDIT: or you might have bought them in a previous turn of course. blush But yes, you can do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
So lets say I'm doing it just to empty the unit offer, would that be a legitimate strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle with cigar blowing smoke rings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
For lost legions it is a good idea ... So u can reduce the potential indecisive units joining volkare, right?

Good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zsionic wrote:
So lets say I'm doing it just to empty the unit offer, would that be a legitimate strategy?

It is valid to loot the unit offer by hire, using and then disbanding a unit. When facing Volkare in 'He's Returned' scenario (city capture/defense) it is a good strategy to prevent him from recruiting as many grey units as possible.

What they are trying to short circuit is card drawing into more influence mid interaction by requiring all cards from hand to be played at the start. for example;

Green source + Concentrate + threaten + basic promise = 9 influence (no rep modifier, but now is when it would be applied if any)
I interact at the monastery, hire illusionists for 7 influence (2 remaining); I then activate Illusionists for 4 more influence 6 total to buy an AA from the monastery.

Or at a village; 8 influence; hire peastants for 4 influence, activate for 2 influence, disband peasants, hire crossbowmen for 6 influence.

The point the book is trying to make there is that you can't use an illusionist you don't have to cover the cost of recruiting it; you have to have the 7 influence upfront even if you turn around and use it immediately for 4 additional influence. Phrasing it this way also prevents cards like Cure from introducing card drawing loops as the total influence you can use that turn is fixed at the 'start' of the interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
" the total influence you can use that turn is fixed at the 'start' of the interaction."

Can you clarify that? It seems contradictory if the total influence is fixed at the start yet you can use units to add influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zsionic wrote:
" the total influence you can use that turn is fixed at the 'start' of the interaction."

Can you clarify that? It seems contradictory if the total influence is fixed at the start yet you can use units to add influence.

I have a Rep modifier of -2; I play threaten and promise for 4 influence at the start of the site interaction; the pre modifier is applied making my rep 2; I activate heroes for 5 influence and +1 rep which changes my rep bonus to -1; I don't gain an influence at this point as my influence from rep/cards is set before I start spending influence during the site interaction or adding influence from units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what you really mean is: "you gain Influence (positive or negative) according to the Reputation track immediately once you start the interaction. Later changes to Reputation have no effect on the bonus or penalty you gained." (rules, p. 9)

"You are allowed to play move and influence effects anytime during your turn". (same page)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! I made this post to solve a disagreement, but my friend didn't agree with me until you mentioned pg. 9 of the Walkthrough.

"As with movement, you can alternate playing Influence and spending it."

Thread closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
zsionic wrote:
Example Scenario 1:

Yes.
zsionic wrote:
Example Scenario 2:

Uh, they cost 7 influence to buy, and their ability only gives you 4 influence. But yes, if you're one of those Mage Knights that likes to light up cigars with spare influence points, then go for it...

EDIT: or you might have bought them in a previous turn of course. blush But yes, you can do this.

Heroic Tale gives a bonus for the number of units you recruit that turn too, so maybe you want to maximize the number of units you recruit (I did this in PBF #4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.