Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Saying "both sides do bad behaviour X" is not by any means proof of "both sides will do bad behaviour Y."

You're just mad because they thought of it first.

I point out logical fallacy, BJ exercises said logical fallacy immediately. It's probably all that football you watch. It DOES THINGS TO BRAIN.

Go Vikings! Wait... WTF were you two discussing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
But they will. As soon as the Dems have control of some "red" states where they can steal a proportion of votes that makes it worthwhile, they'll do the exact same thing.

Nebraska has been using a variant of what the GOP is proposing here since 1996 (assigning some electoral votes by district and then the remainder by popular vote). Maine has been doing it since 1972. This isn't some wild new electoral idea nobody thought of before; nobody did it because they recognized that on a large scale it would be dramatically unfair given the nature of Congressional districts.

Saying that Dems will "do the exact same thing" when somebody does it to them first and using that as proof of moral equivalence is like me saying that if I, without provocation, punch you in the face, you're just as bad as me if you hit me back. The political degradation in the USA over the last twenty years is very much a story of "GOP abandons unwritten agreement about how government is supposed to function; Dems follow suit because if they don't, they're effectively conceding defeat."

I don't hold it as a moral equivalence, ass, I'm simply saying that you don't get to claim the moral high ground if your excuse for the same behavior is "he did it first." Punching someone in the face isn't very nice, whether they punched you first or not.

More importantly, if your only interest in the "political degradation" of the past two decades is laying blame then how do we expect to do anything about it? Sure, it's breaking an "unwritten agreement," but if the purity of your electoral system hinges on everyone playing by some rules that no one has made explicit, it's a broken system anyway.

BJ, shut up, voter ID would be perfectly justified if the GOP wanted to pass those laws now, giving everyone a chance to get the proper ID and plenty of time to adjust to the new rules. Doing it a month or two before a major election is just electoral gamesmanship and you know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I don't hold it as a moral equivalence, ass, I'm simply saying that you don't get to claim the moral high ground if your excuse for the same behavior is "he did it first." Punching someone in the face isn't very nice, whether they punched you first or not.

Then let's extend the metaphor: I am going to beat the shit out of you (because my actions will not stop with one punch - they are designed to come to a specific end). Are you justified in defending yourself? I think the moral argument there is plain.

Quote:
Sure, it's breaking an "unwritten agreement," but if the purity of your electoral system hinges on everyone playing by some rules that no one has made explicit, it's a broken system anyway.

Well, yes. Your political system is badly designed: it's an adversarial first-past-the-post system which also relies on an assumption of consensus. Any poli-sci major can tell you that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Any poli-sci major can tell you that.

Yeah, Dave. Probably rethinking that MBA now, aren't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Any poli-sci major can tell you that.

Yeah, Dave. Probably rethinking that MBA now, aren't you?

I didn't say we'd pay the poli-sci major.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've been crazy, couldn't you tell. I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "any poly-sci major can tell you that" can safely be placed on the list of statements that should never be employed by anyone for any reason. The fact that I wrote it down in order to mock it makes me want to stab myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
I think "any poly-sci major can tell you that" can safely be placed on the list of statements that should never be employed by anyone for any reason. The fact that I wrote it down in order to mock it makes me want to stab myself.

And here I was going for you actually stabbing yourself. Maybe we can work out something with a sociology major instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've been crazy, couldn't you tell. I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
And here I was going for you actually stabbing yourself. Maybe we can work out something with a sociology major instead.

Actually stabbing myself would interfere with my plan to eat an obscene amount of Mexican food for lunch.

Sociology, however, is one of those soft, flabby sciences that attracts lovely young women by the score. I'm sure an...arrangement...could be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

I think you both need a psychology major.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

But I already know I'm crazy. I don't need to pay someone to tell me that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I thought you would need someone to tell you whose fault it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
mistermarino wrote:
Jythier wrote:

It's obviously MGK's fault. Aren't you paying attention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
rshipley wrote:
happyjosiah wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
I'm glad the liberals have taken the high road on gerrymandering.

The whole business disgusts me and this is exactly why. Sure, the GOP are the bad guys right now, but as soon as the pendulum swings, the left are just as likely to take the low road.

So they're both equally bad because one side is advocating doing something rotten? You might want to blame people for what they actually do rather than what you can imagine them doing.

Imagine? Do you really mean to say that democrats have never gerrymandered? Or perhaps that they never will again? It's pretty easy not to cheat when you are already winning. Doesn't make you any better than the cheating loser if your actions would be the same in their shoes.

This isn't about gerrymandering, but Republicans jiggering the way electors are assigned only in states that they control that tend to vote for the other side. Democrats have controlled states that voted for Republicans in previous presidential elections (Reagan-Bush era is a good example). I'm not aware of them suggesting anything like this.

What some Democrat-controlled states have done instead is enter into a compact where they would assign all of their electors to the winner of the national popular vote regardless of their state's results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstat...

So we have Democrats supporting a more democratic result and Republians supporting a system that increases of their candidate winning even if they get less votes.

Yeah, sounds just the same. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

It's my own Goddamn fault for hanging out in RSP. I just saved a lot of you a few hundred bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
and assclowns like Rich want to feign shock and point fingers at how the "other guys" are the only people who would ever think of stooping so low rather than addressing the inherent flaws in a system that allows this kind of cynical manipulation.

Wrong as usual dipshit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
and assclowns like Rich want to feign shock and point fingers at how the "other guys" are the only people who would ever think of stooping so low rather than addressing the inherent flaws in a system that allows this kind of cynical manipulation.

Wrong as usual dipshit.

Name-calling hardly seems necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Wrong as usual dipshit.

I hope that's intentional irony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

That's why he didn't use your name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
If it's not necessary, why do you do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
If it's not necessary, why do you do it?

Why do birds fly? Why do dogs bark? Why do you masturbate to old Keith Olbermann segments on YouTube? Some things are just natural, Jer-Bear. They just happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Wrong as usual dipshit.

Irony?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Wrong as usual dipshit.

Irony?

You know, like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid.

OH! I get it. Like good advice that you just didn't take, maybe? Or 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Wrong as usual dipshit.

Irony?

You know, like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid.

I can't talk right now, there's a fly in my chardonnay. Or maybe I got chardonnay in my fly. Not too clear about that just at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Wrong as usual dipshit.

Irony?

Hypocrisy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
rshipley wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Wrong as usual dipshit.

Irony?

I can't talk right now, there's a fly in my chardonnay. Or maybe I got chardonnay in my fly. Not too clear about that just at the moment.

Who would have thought? It figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |