The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Scenario - Into Fangorn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aside from working on the Tales from the Cards blog, I've recently been spending time creating a custom scenario called Into Fangorn. As you can guess from the name, it has to do with Ents, Huorns, and investigating Fangorn Forest (pretty good timing considering the other post about Ents today). It's a stand-alone encounter set, so you don't need to include any other sets. Here's the link to the post, which will direct you to the download. You can either download a printable form or there are also some sets to play it on OCTGN:

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/custom-sce...

Feel free to give me any feedback on play experiences!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schock
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rad. What difficulty would you put it at? Any suggestions for deck preparation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the difficulty, it's hard to pin down because the difficulty ratings have been all over the place lately with the official scenarios. I would give a rating of maybe a 6, but once people get to grips with it with different decks, I'll probably have a better idea. In general, I found that the first couple of stages are a bit easier, and the difficulty ramps up as you go on.

As far as deck preparation goes, one of the main things you'll be facing is a lot of different effects that exhaust your heroes and characters. You'll want to make sure you have lots of readying effects or be able to get lots of allies out. There are some very tough enemies in the scenario, so you might need some attack-boosting to handle them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing I notice is... why underlined words and not use the correct style (bold on keyword and trait and italic on shadow and trait) ?

Well, apart from that, a lot of treachery have the surge keyword, wich make it really difficult. This is challenging, I'm not complaining. But I find the shadow effects of lulled to sleep and grasping branch to be too imbalanced as they appear 4 times each, and often result in a hero being killed.

Also, there is a lot of exhausting effect. One might want to deckbuild with fast hitch/boromir/unexpected courage. Will boost is encouraged for the 4th quest card, but good preparation is enough. There is no doom nor threat raising effect, so you can easily camp 3rd quest.

Some effects are written oddly ("each player must choose one" is usually at the begining, not at the end).

The last boss is not enough challenging for a last quest in my opinion.

Art is good. Good ideas. Would likely test it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Alogos. Very helpful as I work towards version 2.
The weird style (underline instead of bold, no italics, etc.) is because I was using the Strange Eons program on a Mac, which has some issues with not being able to create bold/italics effects. My compromise was to use underlines instead. I could have used Publisher instead, but graphic design and that interface is not really my strong suit, to be honest.

The balance of shadows and surges was a challenge to get right. In my first version, there were a lot less of both, and I found things too easy. So I increased them and made the shadow effects have a bit more teeth. I'll think about toning them down a tad for v2.

The battle with Amroth is meant to be a big climax to the scenario. I will be modifying things for v2 to improve that showdown.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good quest in most respects - thematically well designed, good artwork, challenging and interesting to play.

Some of the card text is a little confusing as you haven't used the standard layout and fonts on some cards.

I think you have gone overboard with shadow effects - most published quests have about half to two thirds of the cards with shadow effects, and a lot of these are quite minor (typically +1 attack), whereas you have a lot of very nasty shadow effects in this set. This means the difficulty of the quest is highly dependent on whether the players can get out burning brands or not. Also, every enemy has 4 or more attack, which is a lot higher than published quests.

The spiders are very nasty in numbers - in one game I had two of these engaged with me, so all my characters had -2 attack and -2 questing (I was in stage 2) and they still contributed 4 threat each turn. That could easily be Game Over for a deck which relied on numbers of smaller characters.

Well done! definitely one of my favourite fan-published quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's good to hear that Into Fangorn is one of your favorites, that means a lot! From the feedback I've received in various places, it appears that the shadows do need to be reduced a tad, probably close to the levels I originally had them at in my early versions. What can I say, I have a fever, and the only prescription is more shadow effects!

For v2, there won't be too many changes, but so far my changelist is:

- Reduction of shadow effects
- Slight change to quest stage 3b (Seeking the Ents) to make it more consistently challenging
- Slight change to Anger of the Forest and Ent Guardian to make it scale better for 3 or 4 player games
- Change to quest stage 5b (Showdown with the Fallen) to make it more consistently challenging

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've released version 2 of Into Fangorn based on player feedback. Here's the link:

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/into-fango...

And here's the change list:

- Formatting now follows the correct template (italics, bold, etc.)

- The cards now include a custom icon for the scenario instead of the Passage through Mirkwood icon

- Frequency of shadow effects has been decreased

- Anger of the Forest and Ent Guardian have been modified to scale better depending on the number of players

- Quest Cards 3B and 5B have been modified to be more consistently challenging

- A few minor text tweaks on certain cards

- Updated to work with the newest version of the LOTR OCTGN plug-in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice scenario, tried in o OCTGN and I want to print it and play it with my wife.

Has anyone any clue on what paper should be better to print ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.