7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Quick question about skipped quests. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rez Northman
msg tools
mbmb
For some reason over the last few days reading threads here, I recall seeing someone mention that the overlord gets the rewards from the skipped quests (eg three Act I are completed, heroes get what they win, overlord gets the remaining quest rewards).

Is this true? Or did I completely dream this?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Conway
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it is true in the sense that the Overlord gets to use the appropriate relics and lieutenants in the finale, but NOT in the sense that s/he gets the extra XP...

I hope that that is the way it works! Elsewise these dreams we share are terrifying...

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rez Northman
msg tools
mbmb
So if there was an item reward, say The Shadow Rune for example, but we had skipped over that quest in Act I. The Overlord would get that item to use for the Interlude and Act II quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. There's a quest reward in LotW that lets the OL choose a relic that hasn't been claimed, but otherwise, if you skip a relic quest, you've missed the chance for that relic, whether you're heroes or OL.

The Shadow Rune is a reward for both Interludes, I think, so someone ends up with it no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pg 21 of the Rulebook wrote:
If a certain Act I quest was not played during the campaign, it is considered to be won by the overlord for purposes of choosing the corresponding Act II quest.

Emphasis mine...

I believe this would indicate that they only matter for what quests are available in Act II, and relics from un-played quests do not get to be used by the OL just because the quest was un-played....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's totally not true. The overlord does not gain rewards from the quests not attempted. That would be rather silly IMHO. The only thing he gets is that during Act II, when you decide which quest to you, you have to look at who won the Act I quest, heroes or overlord. If either group decides to attempt an Act II quest that was not done in Act I, they can, and the assumption is the Overlord won the Act I quest (so they have to pick the right hand side of the quest).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rez Northman
msg tools
mbmb
Awesome, thanks all for the quick responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.