Andy B
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Any thoughts on suppressive fire?

As far as I can tell this is accomplished through pinning? Maybe? Sort of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer pinning halfs all stat's so works well to show the effects of suppresive fire on a soldier, keeping his head down and effecting his fighting ability.

Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the minor niggles I have with the game - the lack of suppressive fore or overwatch. It is a problem linked to the story cards and how they sequence the action. So far I have not had many occasions where I really wanted to fire but no fire action was available so it has not been a huge problem. There have been a couple of times when I had troops in terrific fire positions while the enemy was advancing and was unable to fire and it was annoying but that is the nature of card games.

I am not sure how to (or even if it is worth a house rule) attend to this given that activation is by squad so how to put some guys on overwatch while the others move becomes problematical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Overwatch in some form will be covered in the Equipment and Tactics expansion. Not sure if there is any future plans for some kind of suppression beyond pinning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, somewhere down the road are plans for overwatch/opportunity fire type actions. Jeff wants to move slowly on adding layers of complexity, and I sure think that is the right way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Indeed, somewhere down the road are plans for overwatch/opportunity fire type actions. Jeff wants to move slowly on adding layers of complexity, and I sure think that is the right way to go.

Couldn't agree more!

I remember learning Squad Leader one mission at a time... Read the first twelve pages of rules, play a mission, read two more pages, play a mission, two more, mission, etc. 12 missions later, I knew all 48 pages of rules. Then came Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, Yanks, etc, and the same approach added more complexity. Well, time went on, and then ASL came out, and I was fine, because I'd learned each part of the rules in steps. But guys whom I try to get interested in ASL now?!?!?! Not happening. Nobody I know in this modern day of drive-thru microwave meals is going to take the time to learn ASL, which makes me sad. It's a great game, which I now no longer remember how to play or have the time to read the 100+ pages of rules to refresh my knowledge.

Someday, perhaps when I retire, I'll dig the Squad Leader basics out again and step some friends through it, but until then I'm grateful we have SMG where I appreciate being fed bite-size pieces of steak with a fork, not an entire herd of cattle with a firehose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time you dig through Crescendo of Doom, see if you can find an 8-1 British leader named "Sgt.Duke."

Yep.

Was part of folks deeply involved in the original expansions, and "Cornaghie" from the CoI Axis minors, "Glankler" from the CoD Allied minors, and McDonnell, who shared the British with me, were all part of the team.

We loved that game, and put together a "Squad Leader Team Tournament" at Origins many years ago-- something like 220 participants. Same Origins that GI-Anvil came out at, and, as much fun as we had had, we started to drift the scene about that Anvil time, as it just got too, too far away from what we liked about the game. I was alone working on ASL and Deluxe, and exited myself after the initial releases of those.

I believe Jeff is mindful of that development path and intends to avoid it. As long as I'm a consultant, I will advise doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I know why your name seemed so familiar! Very glad you are part of the SMG team. Any reservations I had about my hefty initial investment plans are now put to rest!

Unrelated off-topic question headed your way in a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:

Isn't this someting the React cards are going to help with? So while they will cost you negative VPs, they may let you shoot when in position at a time you want to without having to wait for the Shoot card next phase or turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
This is one of the minor niggles I have with the game - the lack of suppressive fore or overwatch..

This is what i like about the game,the fact your soldiers don't do everything you want them to do.

You know what you want your men to do because you can see everything thats going on.

The system of the story dack and the action cards is there to plan your turn .it's to easy just to stick men on "Overwatch" and wait snore
Amos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:
martimer wrote:
This is one of the minor niggles I have with the game - the lack of suppressive fore or overwatch..

This is what i like about the game,the fact your soldiers don't do everything you want them to do.

You know what you want your men to do because you can see everything thats going on.

The system of the story dack and the action cards is there to plan your turn .it's to easy just to stick men on "Overwatch" and wait snore
Amos

Agree with you Amos...and on another note...PLEASE don't move toward the ASL type format...way to many niggly rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.