Popular Tags: [View All]
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something I've been wondering: when someone tips you GeekGold, is it expected that you will thank them?

I've been fortunate to get a few tips lately (I was on a roll there for a couple of days). This was a new experience for me, and I realized that I wasn't sure whether a personal reply was in order.

Is it OK not to respond, secure in the knowledge that your tipper knows you appreciate their generosity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't expect people to thank me when I tip. The tip is for something you have already posted. No need to thank them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shoulda tipped him when you said that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
Is it OK not to respond, secure in the knowledge that your tipper knows you appreciate their generosity?

Yep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to thank people all the time when I got tips.

But it is a lot of work monitoring where you get your geek gold from, couple that with the severe depletion of value in geek gold (it's not terribly uncommon to see people drop tips in the hundreds of geek gold) and I don't send notes anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent a note the first couple of times, only because I was so new. Then, only if the tip was significant (of course, that is very subjective per person.) Or, if the tip came with a note. Then I would probably send a note in return.

But for the most part, I seriously doubt anyone will be offended if their tip is not acknowledged. Even if it is hundreds bagbag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did GM those that gave me specificly for an avatar when I first started,to thank them and show them what their kindness bought me.

I often tip small amounts [ less than 1gg] if I have really liked your comment/picture/idea or even if I did not agree but you validated your case well. Sometimes it was just funny or clever, I dont want or expect thanks.

BUT if anyone would like to give me bag of then I will happily thank them via GM or even send them one of the olden day letter things, yes I would be most grateful, so anyone? umm hello? where did every one go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't respond to pennies, as I see them just as a way to point out that this post deserves even more than a mere thumb cool

When someone tips me in full I usually thank them in a GM. Although I don't expect the same if I do this, it's always nice to get GMs meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its necessary to thank them. Usually the geekgold is a tip to say you've done something for them and they appreciate it.

When I start a recommendation thread, I try to give a little bit of fractional geekgold to everyone who posts a good suggestion, and some whole geekgold to those that suggested the game I finally decided to go with or who were instrumental in that decision.

Generally, if someone posts something useful, I try to give a geekgold or at least fractional geekgold if its potentially useful but doesn't immediatly help me in any way.

Sometimes I'll give fractional geekgold to people who ask insightful questions about a game I own.

i try to always be aware of where my geekgold comes from though, and I tend to review threads that grant me geekgold tips to know how I'm helping people so I can continue to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Very helpful and reassuring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I used to thank people all the time when I got tips.

But it is a lot of work monitoring where you get your geek gold from, couple that with the severe depletion of value in geek gold (it's not terribly uncommon to see people drop tips in the hundreds of geek gold) and I don't send notes anymore.

Where?! Where?!
laughlaughlaughlaughmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tipped my fair deal here - and personally, it's more of a hassle if I get a "thank you" geek mail - as then I feel obliged to respond with "You're welcome" - as I'm unsure if that is expected as a response
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely a tip usually is just like a thumb+, an "I value your post enough to show appreciation" akin to dropping loose change in the tip bowl on a bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
The Dungeon
Warhammer Quest
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you agree with the tip, you should thumb their original post if they had one. If you really agree with the tip, you should tip them back. Likewise, if they really agree with the agreeing tip, they should be tipping you back, and then you should thank them for tipping your tip and for you tipping them. If they thank you back...

What was the question again??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.