United States
Lafayette
CO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slim was my first choice. Here are a few other nominees:

Xenophon. Not only led the Spartans out of the Persian Empire, but was a damn fine writer, too.

Józef Piłsudski. Built up the Polish Army and stopped the Bolshevik Army from overruning his country.

Ramon Magsayay. Not a general, but as Secretary of Defense for the Philippines and later President, was the "indispensable man" for leading the government's campaign against the Hukbalahap guerrillas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd nominate Stefan The Great since it's part of country's history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_the_Great 46 wins / 2 losses

And also one of (if not the) best generals of all time Alexander Suvorov - 93 wins / 0 losses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Suvorov
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
I'd nominate Stefan The Great since it's part of country's history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_the_Great 46 wins / 2 losses

And also one of (if not the) best generals of all time Alexander Suvorov - 93 wins / 0 losses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Suvorov

Fascinating!..never even heard of this guy...a sad indictment of my Anglo-centric background
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Nutmegistan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duffy's book on Suvorov and the Italian campaign of 1799 was really good, and I'd strongly recommend it for anyone interested:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
calandale wrote:

Belisarius frittered his away. He also
played politics (or had supporters do so) in such a manner that the emperor didn't trust him - which prevented reinforcements, and led to his recall.

Not like all the other generals that Justinian trusted implicitly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools

General Alan Brooke? Considered a very capable corps commander during the Dunkirk retreat (able to control Monty which argues major talent), but spent most of WWII as CIGS, translating Churchill's enthusiastic suggestions into coherent policy. Sacrificed his ambitions for large-scale battlefield command because he was clearly more useful co-ordinating strategy - a bit like General Marshall in the US. His contribution to British/Allied success is certainly comparable to Wavell, Auchinleck, Alexander, Slim & Monty, who I suppose are the other major British generals of the war, but he's not a name which figures much in discussion.

At one point he was in line to command Overlord but his nomination was withdrawn when it became apparent that the overall commander would have to be an American.

And I always thought it was really sad that as a keen ornithologist he had to sell his collection of bird books to fund his retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Barbarossa wrote:
calandale wrote:

Belisarius frittered his away. He also
played politics (or had supporters do so) in such a manner that the emperor didn't trust him - which prevented reinforcements, and led to his recall.

Not like all the other generals that Justinian trusted implicitly?

Well, Narses was inherently not a threat.

Not having balls is a big advantage when comparing generals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
My point was that Justinian didn't trust anybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corrado Soprano
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Alessandro Farnese, Duke of Parma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Farnese,_Duke_of_Parm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Garfink wrote:
General Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck, undefeated German General in charge of the East Africa Campaign, won despite very poor odds using local know how, a regular Ho Chi Minh.

Hmm...I had pushed his counters in Sideshow: The Campaign for German East Africa 1914-1918 when I was young. I felt the system was as awkward and clunky as him.cry

You might enjoy the new ATO game Guns of the Askari, which looks much more streamline and promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdaddy wrote:

Xenophon. Not only led the Spartans out of the Persian Empire, but was a damn fine writer, too.

As a Classicist I had to laugh at this. It's the first time I've ever heard Xenophon called "a damned fine writer".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Kingdaddy wrote:

As a Classicist I had to laugh at this. It's the first time I've ever heard Xenophon called "a damned fine writer".

Is that what they call Xenophonobia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Kingdaddy wrote:

Is that what they call Xenophonobia?

Xenophon is often used as a first text in Greek simply because it is so repetitive. My Greek professor organized a class for us specifically to read the apology of Socrates because the Greek as more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.