Popular Tags: [View All]
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been helping a friend develop a game in which the players purge their (real-life) house of stuff as one of game's mechanic.

I'm wondering, are there any games out there that also cross the border between in-game and out-of-game. Where the in-game mechanics or actions have tangible results outside of the game?

Just to be clear I'm not really referring to games with gambling such as Backgammon, or Poker. (or sexy-time items for that matter). Although money and "pleasure" are indeed real-world results.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizards, if you believe the original advertising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavarnway
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of "games" like The Ungame that are really therapy activities in disguise. See Therapeutic Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you not asking how many of us think a game's outcome affects the outside world?

Did my wife tell you about one of my Catan tantrums? Who put you up to this? I object!!! Victimisation!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
J'te Gage Que...
You never know if someone is doing something b/c that's on their card, or they're just doing it for real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Well, D&D certainly does, in the eyes of some. Warning, not safe for the sane. And completely serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bios: Megafauna and even more so High Frontier will change the way you look at the world in a fundamental way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I thought the film Mazes and Monsters was a bit far fetched but at least that was fiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welshmilla wrote:
Wow - I thought the film Mazes and Monsters was a bit far fetched but at least that was fiction.

Are you suggesting that Chick Tracts are non-fiction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
In college we played Diplomacy games that would last for weeks - we'd play a couple turns a night and leave the board set up (actually used printed maps and colored thumbtacks). During the week we'd all be trying to talk each other into supporting our various attacks, backstabs, double backstabs, etc. This inevitably led to plying each other with pizza, beer, etc.

If you have not already, you should check out Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal (http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Broken-Games-Better-Change/dp/...). She talks a lot about games she has made (mostly, but not all, of the electronic variety) designed to improve people's real lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Well, D&D certainly does, in the eyes of some. Warning, not safe for the sane. And completely serious.

He said 'real-life'. I don't think Jack Chick has been there for a really long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The creator of Thug Life made such a claim. However, the game is not in the database here. You can find information about it by searching Google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
francisthe3rd wrote:
There are plenty of "games" like The Ungame that are really therapy activities in disguise. See Therapeutic Games.

This seems perhaps closer to what I was thinking. I like the idea of longer term personal change as an intended result of a game. Lots of games and gaming in general have an impact, but often its unintentional.

cferejohn wrote:
If you have not already, you should check out Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal (http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Broken-Games-Better-Change/dp/...). She talks a lot about games she has made (mostly, but not all, of the electronic variety) designed to improve people's real lives.

This too seems interesting, is anyone familiar with board games that relate to this concept?

Originally I was thinking about the kind of things my parents did when I was a kid to try and make drudgery-filled things more enjoyable. Such as a race to get dressed, or a quick contest involving straightening up around the house. Have there been any board or card games that formalize these sort of things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
Did my wife tell you about one of my Catan tantrums? Who put you up to this? I object!!! Victimisation!!!!!

I recommend referring to the previously mentioned

francisthe3rd wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a few close Car Wars moments in traffic...

Would have been closer if I had the front mounted machine guns that I was imagining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ever since I started playing games about a year ago, my ability to conceptualize strategies in specific real life circumstances has drastically improved. I'm not great at it, but going from zero to something is a huge change
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
seditious wrote:
I've been helping a friend develop a game in which the players purge their (real-life) house of stuff as one of game's mechanic.

Any thoughts?

If this is done well, it could be money! Uncluttering (decluttering isn't a word) is popular right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cash Flow games claim to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyne Tarse
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The Abounding River

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Basham
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I quit!
badge
mb
JasonJ0 wrote:

God, painful flashbacks of my youth. Growing up surrounded by superstitious hillbillies is not nearly as fun as it sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it myself, but I've heard that Diplomacy can end friendships (and human lives, on rare occasion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Murder_case

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seditious wrote:
I'm wondering, are there any games out there that also cross the border between in-game and out-of-game. Where the in-game mechanics or actions have tangible results outside of the game?

Russian Roulette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Easy! Battle Shots and Stoner Fluxx. Especially if played in the same evening gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a cool little story: Therapeutic Gaming >> Blokus a Big Hit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.