Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Piotrowski
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just gotten back into gaming and have been considering Pandemic. There are a few copies at a local store and I heard a new version is due in a month. Any recommendations... get the old one, or hold out for the new? Reasons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
The new one is ugly. Go old school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike most of the new art, but I'd still get the new one if I were you. There is an upcoming 2nd expansion coming, and owners of the original version will have to buy an upgrade pack for compatibility...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to consider is the fact that the new version will have two new roles.

It's also got upgraded components.

More info here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pandemic-The-Board-Game/15449...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the new version offers a well deserved face lift that the game needed. I'd wait for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say get the new one if you feel the need to get the two newer roles. Outside of that, I'm more than OK with the old art and the game plays very well as is. The new edition is more of a face lift than improving the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
The new one if you have no problems with it's design (I don't except for the fact they felt they needed to change the backs of the cards, which is the main incompatibility with the old version).
It will be fully compatible with both expansions (I believe they are re-releasing On The Brink)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the old version. Great atmosphere, good art, and EXCELLENT graphic design.

The new one in my opinion has GREAT art and good graphic design. Atmosphere is unknown without playing it. So yeah, with the new roles and upcoming expansion, I'll wholeheartedly recommend the new one to you, friends and families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own the original version of Pandemic and had been eyeing the On the Brink expansion for some time. Upon learning a reprint was coming next month with a new design I decided to hold off on my purchase until the reprint arrives. I would rather purchase one compatibility pack instead of two. I would recommend that you wait at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to be able to get the expansion that's not yet released wait for the new version. I think I'm going to replace my current (old) version and expansion with the new one when it comes out for this very reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art on the old one is terrible, the art on the new one is terrible, just in a different way. However if you are just buying it I would get the new one in case you later want to add the newest expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Begin
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to Quote the Nerd Commandments:

2) Thou must always recognize your first exposure to a nerdy property was the best possible incarnation of that property. Likewise, thou must always find new incarnations, sequels, spin-offs, rip-offs, and media inspired these properties to be crappier than your prized original.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/01/the_20_nerd_commandments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjira wrote:

2) Thou must always recognize your first exposure to a nerdy property was the best possible incarnation of that property. Likewise, thou must always find new incarnations, sequels, spin-offs, rip-offs, and media inspired these properties to be crappier than your prized original.

Must be an errant hipster gene in us somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjira wrote:

We're Geeks, not Nerds.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new one looks so much better than the first one that I'll probably buy it even though I already have the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for the new one. It looks sharp. Also, as others have mentioned, it comes with new roles, so it would be easier to get the new one than to hope that they release the new roles in a way that matches the design of the old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could always evade the edition wars by buying Defenders of the Realm, which is basically the same game, apart from the fact that it includes hundreds of minis and is fantasy - not virus - themed. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'd go with whichever one is cheapest. If the game were drastically altered in some way for the better, take Descent 2nd edition for example, then it would be worth paying more money for the new version. This game is 99% the same except now it has a cheesy action movie look and feel to it. That's not to say the look of the original was any better, considering it had a 70's feel to it, but really it's just not worth worrying over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Well, you could always evade the edition wars by buying Defenders of the Realm, which is basically the same game, apart from the fact that it includes hundreds of minis and is fantasy - not virus - themed. meeple

this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Well, you could always evade the edition wars by buying Defenders of the Realm, which is basically the same game, apart from the fact that it includes hundreds of minis and is fantasy - not virus - themed.

Different designer though...

The issue for me is if you buy the original version you will have to buy the original expansion (new one not compatible) which will be increasingly difficult to do. Artwise I prefer the original, the new one is too 'Hollywood' for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stick with the original Pandemic and on the Brink. For my feelings the game is complete and fun as it is and dont need another expansion.

To that im not a Fan of this modern "realistic Movie like Video-Game-Artwork". Those designs lacks the cuteness of imagination. If Pandemic would hit the table more often than other Games we play i would consider to add another expansion. But it dont do that. Another argument for me is that i dont like to buy the same product twice. gulp

I definitely stay old school. thumbsup

greets Hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you like to get all the expansions, wait and get the new version. The second expansion In The Lab will only be compatible with the new version without buying compatibility packs. However, I like the look of the old version better and you can probably pick it up cheaper now from someone selling theirs to get the new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faustulus wrote:
gjira wrote:

Must be an errant hipster gene in us somewhere.

It's not just errant. Board game hipsters run wild here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll now wait for the Original On the Brink to get cheaper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the old game is fine as is and with the OtB expansion as good as it is really going to get. I can't see these new expansions doing anything that special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.