Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
Train 6 (Padarn), during step E: "Take 1 build action after all other build actions (min: 1) have been resolved."

Contract card 10, during step E: "After all other build actions have been resolved, you may take a build action as if you had placed a labourer here this round."

Let's say both these players want to use their effects in the same round and there's only one spot open to build on after the players who chose that action with their workers perform it. Who takes precedence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Mr Bulb,

For the purposes of resolving effects that conflict (initiative, sort of), Padarn's ability is treated like a Contract card played at the start of the action phase ie. you resolve card(s) clockwise starting with the start player.

If the same person has multiple cards to resolve in a phase they choose the order that suits them the best when it's their time in the order(!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony,
are you saying the locomotive action must be announced at the start of the phase?

That is not mentioned in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Tony,
are you saying the locomotive action must be announced at the start of the phase?

That is not mentioned in the rules.

No, but it resolves like a Contract card - you'll be able to see if someone with Padarn a) has (or will get this turn) resources to build with and b) is likely to use it. To be honest, IF you buy Padarn then you'd be mad NOT to be using it every round wherever possible as that is, of course, it's raison d'etre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tony! One followup question which I didn't see in a quick check of the rulebook: if a person declares they're using the contract card but then can't because they're blocked by someone using Padarn, does the contract card still count as used? Or can they use it again on a later turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'gamer' answer is: "Tough! The card is used (even if it ends up doing nothing) and should be rotated 90 degrees - you need to plan better/pay attention, buddy!"

I am aware that some groups don't play that way, so letting someone 'take back' their decision to play a contract card should be regarded as a house, rather than official, rule.

TeeBee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
The 'gamer' answer is: "Tough! The card is used (even if it ends up doing nothing) and should be rotated 90 degrees - you need to plan better/pay attention, buddy!"

I am aware that some groups don't play that way, so letting someone 'take back' their decision to play a contract card should be regarded as a house, rather than official, rule.

TeeBee

As my recently deceased buddy
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
used to say "Next time you'll learn." Not even "Maybe next time you'll learn." Used to bug me, but it did make you play a bit more carefully. I would be in favor of the take back move myself, so come over to my house and play (and bring a copy of the game because mine isn't arriving until next week ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
R.I.P

Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
For the purposes of resolving effects that conflict (initiative, sort of), Padarn's ability is treated like a Contract card played at the start of the action phase ie. you resolve card(s) clockwise starting with the start player.

If the same person has multiple cards to resolve in a phase they choose the order that suits them the best when it's their time in the order(!).

Suppose that (a) no one placed a Labourer for Action E; (2) the start player has Contract card 10; and (3) the next player has Padarn.

When play reaches Action E, the players have the opportunity to say whether they're using a Contract card (or Padarn).

Normally, Padarn wouldn't be usable because no Build actions are being performed.

But if the start player announces that he will use Contract card 10, he will get a Build action without a Labourer. Can the next player then announce and use Padarn?

If he can - and uses Padarn after the start player's use of Contract card 10 - then the start player's Build action is not "After all other Build actions have been resolved" (as specified on the card) - because it's not after Padarn's.

What if the cards were reversed (and the start player had Padarn)? Can the start player use Padarn after the other player decided to use Contract card 10? Or is he stuck because he has to choose first (and no Build action has been performed when it's his "turn")?

I'm not sure whether this is really a "conflict" in the same way as the original example.

Maybe it would be best to say that Padarn can always used after Contract card 10 (after all, Padarn applies "At the end of resolving" [E] - but cannot be used before that card if the player with Contract card 10 comes before the player with Padarn in turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why I got so confused by this.

I think that this is what makes sense.

Just before Action E (Build), the player with Contract card 10 may say that he will use it in this round.

After all the Build actions (from Labourers placed on Action E) are complete, the player with Padarn says whether he will use it to Build.

After that, the 1-2 players who declared that they would build can do so in turn order. The player with Padarn (but without Contract card 10) cannot build if, when it is his turn to do so, no one has built yet in this round. (Of course, if one player has both, he can first use Contract card 10 and then Padarn. Of course, this can be done only once because, after that, the Contract card cannot be used again.)

Neither Contract card 10 nor Padarn may be used immediately following Action B when that action is Build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.