Subject: Advice for a Noob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, so I am now 3 games into MK. 2 walkthrough games and 1 solo conquest game. I feel like I have pretty good handle on the rules, with liberal rulebook references, and am starting to get an idea on the flow of the game. However, I can't seem to balance getting leveled up with how quickly the rounds can pass.

I started my solo conquest and immediately tried to gain some fame by hitting a couple of dungeons and some marauding orcs. This worked out pretty well. I also kept pushing to explore the map and discover the city tiles. With the way my map played out, and trying to get some units as well, I ended up discovering the first city tile on day 3 at level 5.

Ok, so I approach the city with my 2 units ready (Northern Monks and Utem Swordsman), and I attempt my first assault on the city.

Good. Lord.

If I read the clix dial right, for the green city at level 5, I pulled one white defender and 2 browns. These turned out to be a freezer and 2 crypt worms. All of whom are no poisonous. And, I can't even think about ranging the crypt worms since they are now double fortified.

Not that I had any siege abilities anyway, since nothing of that sort had come through the advanced actions offer.

So, needless to say, it did not go well. I eventually did take the city, several turns and multiple wounds later, but would have had absolutely no time to a) find another city, b) recruit any more units, or c) kill random mobs to level any further.

So, my questions revolve around how to spend your early turns in the game so that you can a) explore, b) recruit, and c) level enough to actually stand a chance.

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lim
Singapore
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't think the Freezer is poisonous. If I'm not wrong, only physical attacks become poisonous.

My advice is to aim for spells. These are the things which will carry you through massive enemy waves. As such, look for mage towers or dungeons which reward you with spells in day 1-2. You should aim to hit a city by night 2 (using the black mana to power up your spells). This leaves you with time to recover and march to city 2 in day 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I wrote a couple of strategy pieces: Beginner strategy here and Expert strategy here.

I'd caution against worrying too much. It takes a little while to understand the pace of the game, and how to take risks. It's a lot of fun learning .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang in there. It took me 7 games to finally win, but there was improvement with each game leading up to that, and also since then...

I'm still no expert, by any means, but I would caution against being too concerned with recruiting early in the game. In that first game I won, I only ended up with one unit, which was recruited later in the game. I felt like I'd rather have a really strong unit when I most needed it than spend too much time and attention early on recruiting weaker units. Not that units aren't great to have... sometimes they are incredibly useful, and you want to get them as soon as possible... but I think the nature of each game can be a little different as far as what will be most effective, so you have to play it by ear to some extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamer Morad

Pasadena
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being successful at MK really comes from being able to assess the map and your current situation. This includes knowing what cards you have played and which are still to come, knowing what type of monsters are going to spawn(be flipped) and if you have the strength to take them down. There is one strategy as this is a game of trying to maximize each and every turn. So if you have a hand of influence and move and there is a village near by it would optimal to recruit even in the early game. Also there is a good thread on "rigging" the map which explains the optimal way of exploring the map so that you can easily navigate the core titles hazardous terrain. (saving valuable cards, energy, and turns.)

#1 Learn the pace of your deck
#2 Learn how to maximizes terrain
#3 Learn the monsters

Good Luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Kaskela
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Good advice here. One part of pacing is to try to spare some resources, most importantly mana crystals or mana providing abilities, that can get you through some unfortunate mana rolls and allow you to have those big turns by powering several effects at once.

But also no matter how well you play, you can get hosed by terrain, enemy pulls (especially cities), card offers and mana dice so there is plenty of variance in final outcome even if you play perfectly.

Also, not sure if you meant it, but city defenders are always revealed when you are next to the city so at least you know beforehand what you are assaulting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i improved when i notice adventure sights where face up! there are some nice easy ones in the mix which can give great artifacts and spells..
other then that its general improvement with more plays and different rules right each subsequent game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to learn the hard way that you always need to have a solution in your deck for in case you encounter freezers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamer Morad

Pasadena
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finite wrote:

Also, not sure if you meant it, but city defenders are always revealed when you are next to the city so at least you know beforehand what you are assaulting.

I wasn't necessarily referring to assaulting a city more so any location in general. At night monsters are not revealed until Mage tower, Keep, City is assaulted. Also Dungeons, Tombs, Monster Dens, and Spawning Grounds all do not reveal their monsters till explored/assaulted etc. This is what I was referring to, so there frequently are times that you have to wager if you will be able to over come a Monster before actually seeing him, that's all I was saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pbhammer wrote:
Finite wrote:

I wasn't necessarily referring to assaulting a city more so any location in general. At night monsters are not revealed until Mage tower, Keep, City is assaulted. Also Dungeons, Tombs, Monster Dens, and Spawning Grounds all do not reveal their monsters till explored/assaulted etc. This is what I was referring to, so there frequently are times that you have to wager if you will be able to over come a Monster before actually seeing him, that's all I was saying.

If i recall correctly:
- City: you always reveal when next to them, day or night.
- Mage Tower and Keep: you only reveal it if it's day and you're next to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jonathan,

First, http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/864817/understanding-your-de...

I've only recently left noobtown myself, but here are some thoughts on what helped me in the few wins I've enjoyed.

Mage Knight is largely about picking a general strategy at the start, and then after revealing a few tiles, revising that strategy dependent upon the sites that are available.

Monasteries - If there's a monastery near one or more sites or rampaging monsters, I usually head there and use the monastery as a hub while I clear out the sites. Remember that monasteries put AA's in the unit offer. Once I have no more need for a monastery, I usually burn it to the ground and move on.

Units - Clearly important, but as mentioned above, the correct number per game is going to vary. Are there a lot of Tombs and Dungeons available? Prioritize units with noncombat options. Foresters, Illusionists and Herbalist for instance. Then where possible build your deck towards combat.

Spells - I agree with the beginner guide I linked that you only want a few spells. Anything that debuffs multiple enemies is pretty useful. Might be worth it to get s movement spell as well. If getting multiple combat spells, don't focus on one element. You need spells that can get around common monster resistances.

Reputation - This should be adjustable. The wild orcs and dragons get you 1-2, which easily offsets your assaults. Takes a few more to be forgiven for burning a monastery.

Wounds - Don't be afraid of these. Be willing to take one or two when you can position yourself near a village, monastery or daytime glade. Even more if you've got the movement to get back to it and a chunk of influence still coming.

Deck - While your options are restricted turn to turn by your cards, in a solo game you're probably going to see every card in your deck during the round. As the round goes on you have a better idea of what's left, so that should affect your goals for the round.

Monsters - When attacking blind, take a look over the back of the book to see what your worst case scenario is. If you can take it, go for it. If you think you can take everything but that, it's probably worth the risk.

Knocked out - This is awful, do not get knocked out. you're likely actually out of the game for two turns.

Glades - Glades near cities are excellent, because you're probably assaulting cities during the last night. Being able to get a black mana token to empower your spells for the assault is great.

Crystals - Make sure you always have a few of these. You may have specific colors you want but diversity is important in most games.

As I said, I'm only recently out of noobtown, but this is what I'm finding so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

Monsters - When attacking blind (burning a monastery, dungeon, tomb), take a look over the back of the book to see what your worst case scenario is. If you can take it, go for it. If you think you can take everything but that, it's probably worth the risk.
If you can defeat the worst case scenario with a 'reasonable' number of wounds (less than a knock out), take the risk; otherwise work on another resource first such as exploring another tile or visiting a glade for some free healing.

gaining crystals (mines, crystallize, AAs, Artifacts) is not a wasted turn. having crystals will allow you to take a bigger turn later, which is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my third game last night and managed to pull off my first solo conquest win.
I tried following some of the earlier advice of "let the cards dictate where you'll go" and it worked out pretty well. Managed to recruit the 5 units, and get 3 spells. I was relatively low level and I got lucky (sorta) in the sense that the cities I took on had relatively weaker White and brown units. Attacking the second city literally took 3 rounds of combat (over 3 turns) and nearly an hour of me tracing back all the combinations, wounds, etc.

But I won...and it was such a sweet victory (I charted my progress in photos too)

Read the strategy articles from earlier in this thread. They really can help Also, don't fear. It's a very tough game with a steep learning curve. I'm definitely expecting to lose my next few...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony T
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am right there with you Jonathan! I have played about 5 games and still feel like I am in noobtown haha. I almost had a solo victory on my last run but made some critical mistakes that cost me the game. That is what I love about this game though.

If it were easy I would of got bored already. In a way I am thankful for this game because it slowed down my game collecting/buy disease lol. I am new to the hobby, just started last year, and have been buying alot of games but this one has been able to keep my attention.

Advice:
I would caution about trying to collect too many spells as well. In one of my early games I was knocking over every mage tower or place I could find to get them. Got some good ones but all they did was clog up my deck later especially since I did not have the crystals on hand, and proper mana colors in the source to use them when they came.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I will definately try and incorporate these strategies into my gameplay (I'll be trying some tonigtht).

I love the one about burning the monastary. It's funny cause in every role playing game I've ever played I try to be a 'good' guy. Never even occurred to me to burn one down.

I still have a hard time seeing how folks are able to accomplish so much during their turns. It seems to me that exploring and moving take up so much of my time and deck that I clearly am not doing it efficiently enough. I guess that just comes with time and experience.

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamer Morad

Pasadena
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vectordream wrote:

Advice:
I would caution about trying to collect too many spells as well. In one of my early games I was knocking over every mage tower or place I could find to get them. Got some good ones but all they did was clog up my deck later especially since I did not have the crystals on hand, and proper mana colors in the source to use them when they came.

This is great advice! Its true you have to balance out your deck in the sense you need to be able to utilize the cards you have other wise they become wasted energy. This is why artifacts are great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.