Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
World at War: Blood and Bridges introduces the British forces to the World at War series. As a commanding officer in the BAOR (British Army on the Rhine) you will find yourself controlling Chieftain and Challenger 1 tanks, as well as infantry and support weapons. You opposite number has T-80s, APCs and swarms of infantry at their disposal as they try and capture the important bridges over the river Rhine. Stopping the Soviets here will really hamper their drive into Western Europe.

The World at War series has very little rules overhead. The rules are easy to follow and quick to get into. Combat is a matter of rolling the required number of dice trying to roll higher or equal to the ‘to hit’ number. Defender then does the same thing for their armour roll. Successful armour rolls cancel out successful hits. (It takes longer to explain, than to actually do.) A word of warning, tanks can be very vulnerable to long-range anti-tank missiles. My Soviet forces have melted away as Milans and TOWs have reduced them to smouldering wrecks on a number of occasions. Makes use of terrain and smoke to move across the battlefield if you want to bring their guns into play. Of course this could just be me and my inept play!

The scenarios follow a similar pattern to World at War: Eisenbach Gap though there a more scenarios than were in that game. Each scenario shows a small section of the Soviet advance and usually builds on the scenario before. You will usually find small NATO forces defending against larger Soviet forces though occasionally the NATO player will get a chance to go on the offensive.

The rules have been tightened since Eisenbach Gap with some new concepts added like air support and battlefield chaos. The extra rules though do njot really add to the overall complexity. If playing solo one of the great helps is the chit-pull mechanism which adds a level of uncertainty to who will activate next which helps to keep things interesting.

Overall Blood and Bridges is a fun part of a quick playing series. The small amount, and easy to grasp nature, of the rules means that you spend more time battling your opponent than flicking through the rule book. Most of the scenarios can easily be played in one sitting, while still providing an interesting challenge for both sides. Blood and Bridges is a welcome part of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Fitzroy....Wow, now there is a suburb whose name I have not seen in a decade. Damn I miss Oz sometimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Fitzroy....Wow, now there is a suburb whose name I have not seen in a decade. Damn I miss Oz sometimes!

Probably hasn't changed that much either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petegs wrote:
The small amount, and easy to grasp nature, of the rules means that you spend more time battling your opponent than flicking through the rule book.

Don't know if it's me or what, but as a new player, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time "flicking through the rule book". I agree with your comment in principal, but I seem to find so many situations that aren't covered in the rules. I suspect it has something to do with the games I'm most familiar with: ASL and Federation Commander. Those take a different approach to rules and perhaps I just have trouble adjusting my own thought patterns and expectations of the rules. Am I the only one? A nice index would probably help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
That is a good point Warren. The game does not case by case cover every situation. A Lot is left to inference and or common sense.

I played 7 hours of WaW yesterday with a new player. After the 2 nd game I was being told by a current ASL player - hey we do this now!...
Cool!

We had perhaps 3-4 looks for unique situations I had never crossed before. I was glad to see that we could compromise and hear "wow this is awesome I can focus on tactics and the objective not conformity of process"

The rules are not perfect. But they work once you get there. Good luck. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.