Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Hey all, Just wanted to put out 3 things that to me, make the gameplay (along with the others in this series)even better. Try it out sometime, and see what you think.

1) When a hero dies and no healing surges are left, its not game over. Tip over the hero on the square there on. They remain there. A adjacent hero can pick up here treasure and use it. If the dead hero had monsters they controlled, Those monsters go(look) for the closest hero. That hero then controls those monsters.

2) Encounters when you dont explore. I had a 6 sided die made just for this. The D6 I had made has 3 blank sides, and the other 3 say "Encounter". When I dont explore and your suppose to pick a encounter card, I roll this D6. If blank, the dungeon is calm for the moment...if encounter is rolled, draw a encounter card. Of coarse if you draw a tile and has a black arrow, draw an encounter card. I still play the classic way sometimes, but adding this die roll in when you dont flip a tile makes the game WAY better balanced and gameplay even better. Before I got my D6 made, I used the D20...1-10 no encounter card, 11-20 pick a encounter card.

3) When monsters cards say "Move monster adjacent to a hero", or something to that effect. This may be a little hard to understand...I let a D8 decide where the monster goes....for example, I count around the spaces of a hero, say theres 4 open spaces, I roll the D8, 3 comes up, I place the monster on whatever square 3 was. I kind of think of it as what the monsters brain is thinking. And lastly, for those horrid chambers, and dire chambers when they become revealed, I do this....theres 6 dire/horrid chamber tiles, I assign the tiles 1 through 6...roll the D8, say 3 comes up, that monster goes on the 3rd tile, then I count how many squares there is on that tile, say theres 12....I roll the D20 until a number 1-12 comes up, that monster gets placed on what ever square that number that was rolled on the D20 came up. Hopefully you got my point, it just makes the game more random.

Let me know if you try out any of these variations...talk to you soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Groovus wrote:
2) Encounters when you dont explore. I had a 6 sided die made just for this. The D6 I had made has 3 blank sides, and the other 3 say "Encounter". When I dont explore and your suppose to pick a encounter card, I roll this D6. If blank, the dungeon is calm for the moment...if encounter is rolled, draw a encounter card. Of coarse if you draw a tile and has a black arrow, draw an encounter card. I still play the classic way sometimes, but adding this die roll in when you dont flip a tile makes the game WAY better balanced and gameplay even better. Before I got my D6 made, I used the D20...1-10 no encounter card, 11-20 pick a encounter card.

Rodger, welcome to BGG.

Reading the above, I thought that a really thematic way of doing it would be to just flip the coffin token - if it's an open coffin, someone goes "Muahaha!" and you draw an Encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.