Hide
12 Posts

Roads & Boats» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing without attic or Glass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal A Mander
msg tools
I have been thinking about buying a copy with explanations. The only thing that bothers me is the need to cover up the playing area with plastic or glass. From what I have read it is to show connections between hexes.
Has anyone figured out a way around this? Are there pieces out there that can be used to show the connections?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you replace drawing the connections with pieces, I think you'd still want to cover the tiles with something - there are a LOT of little chits that get piled up everywhere (even more so if you add pieces for connections). It is difficult enough to move the pieces around without the tiles accidentally moving around as well.

Also, drawing the connections is, in my opinion, really the best option - there is already so much going on that it will just add to the confusion and complexity of managing everything.

I bought a cheap poster frame from a craft store when it was on sale and use the plexiglass from that - works great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sal A Mander wrote:
I have been thinking about buying a copy with explanations. The only thing that bothers me is the need to cover up the playing area with plastic or glass. From what I have read it is to show connections between hexes.
Has anyone figured out a way around this? Are there pieces out there that can be used to show the connections?

Thank you

The easiest would be to use wonder bricks of unused players. It is also possible to use wall sticks of unused players, but then building walls becomes a little more cumbersome. (You cannot stack sticks on sticks without falling over, so the walls must be places beside the roads.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use glass. But then, the people I play with are dextrous and careful enough not to send components flying. We use craft matchsticks to represent roads: mine are the exact width of a hex (or centre-to-centre).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my copy there was a big plastic sheet included. I think there is no problem using plastic or even glass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the road and bridge file someone uploaded here and printed them on some card, it can get a little busy but I prefer it to carrying a sheet of plexiglass around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sal A Mander wrote:

Thank you

I never use the plastic to cover the playing area. Instead I use the train tracks from TransAmerica to represent the roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing with the board covered.

It makes roads the easiest to deal with, without adding to the clutter. As well, you can easily draw a bridge. If you are using road tokens, you need to differentiate the roads from the bridges.

Plus, if you start playing with the expansion, then you have power lines that you also need to deal with.

Additionally, now that the board is covered, you can write taunts on the board, to discourage your enemies!

I even take it one step further. I play with a small piece of plexi over the wonder board. Instead of the neutral bricks going on, I number it, so we always know what round we are on, and how close the end of the game is coming. And, we color in our wonder contributions with our color as well, and as each line is completed, we add the score to the end of the row.

Release your inner scribe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the game comes with a rolled up sheet of plastic, I don't use it because you pretty much have to tape it to the table to get it to lie flat. I just picked up a good-sized sheet of plexi for $20 at the hardware store and it works very well. (If we can't find a regular pen, we even use that for adding up the scores :-))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard brewis
United Kingdom
milton keynes
buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have to be honest... drawing all over the board is part of the fun! My gaming group tend to make notes on the board, and one member inevitably labels a pasture hex 'jiggy'... In case they forget!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluenamedocean wrote:
Yeah, I have to be honest... drawing all over the board is part of the fun! My gaming group tend to make notes on the board, and one member inevitably labels a pasture hex 'jiggy'... In case they forget!

What size and thickness is best for the Perspex? (Plexiglass)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.