Hide
9 Posts

Risk 2210 A.D.» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exiled States of America may attack Canada?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gamehall
msg tools
On the game board these territories appear in all ways separated by the expanded great lakes body of water. Can someone please clarify this, since I don't see any FAQ or even discussion as to the answer to this frustrating contrast between what the rules say and how the board appears.

Please help me!! I will play my first time this weekend and hope to have a definitive answer, or at least something to go on. Maybe an argument why one way is better? And if ESA is connected to Canada, then isn't RDQ connected to Nunavut?? Aggghhh...

"You may attack only a territory that is adjacent to one of your own. Examples: Exiled States of America may attack Nunavut, Canada,..." etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any connection permitting the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Yhanto
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, ultimately the choice is down to you and the other players. If you want to play with a connection between the territories, you should go ahead. It is, after all, your game. :b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that it's just a typo in the rules,,,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't attack over bodies of water except where explicity shown on the board. In Risk 2210, the designation of being able to travel over water is even more blatant than in others, such as the road-like path between South America and Africa, and colored lines at the edges of the board where you can move to the opposite site.

Since ESA and Canada have no such designation, no, battles can't occur between the two regions. Same with Nunavut and Quebec. I would say what you quoted from the rule book was either a misprint or a misunderstanding from the writer.

But, as rukiosu said, if you really want to allow it, you can. I would recommend trying the game as it is first though, and if you do decide that it would be beneficial to allow that change, make sure all the players are aware of (and accept) your house rule when you play later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gamehall
msg tools
Thanks! Your comment and a lot of the others have been very helpful!

I'm going to take the board-design as law over the printed directions for now, since that seems more permanent and visually in my face than the rule book.

Opinion: This question has a medium-low importance in game play, since if the Exiled States of America gets taken as an invasion point, the invader will have either 3 or 2 territories connected to ESA to worry about backlash into Europe from or to further penetrate into the North American continent through. A 1 or 2 territory question of this type would have been more critical, but all other areas of the board are blatantly free from ambiguity .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Clinton
Bolivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Risk 2210 FAQ file below which gives the official answer from the game designer, Rob Daviau.

Question: "The Classic Risk board has Ontario and Greenland adjacent as well as East Africa and the Middle East. On many older Classic Risk boards, this is further clarified by dotted lines that connect them.

The new Risk 2210 A.D. board has changed the corresponding territories of Canada & Exiled States of America, and the Ministry of Djibouti & Middle East to appear no longer connected."

Answer: "The Canada/Exiled connection was eliminated to make North America a bit easier to hold in 2210AD without seriously changing standard RISK. With the new connections into NA, we took one out.

I am not sure why we took out the Djibouti/ME connection but it is also gone."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
gforce088 wrote:
I'm going to take the board-design as law over the printed directions for now, since that seems more permanent and visually in my face than the rule book.

That's generally the best method to use. It's easy for a typo (or in this case, a less-than-accurate play example) to slip into a rulebook, but if the game board itself is inaccurate... well, then we have a much bigger problem.

kalem wrote:
I am not sure why we took out the Djibouti/ME connection but it is also gone.

Everyone wants a piece of Djibouti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! It's true. The typo is there. Would you believe I had never paid much attention to that paragraph in the rulebook? I already knew the basic rules, so I skipped the examples.

Quote:
You may only attack a territory that is adjacent
(touching) to one of your own. Examples: Exiled
States of America may attack Nunavut, Canada,
Republique du Quebec and Iceland GRC.
Saharan
Empire may attack Egypt, Andorra and Amazon
Desert. At the western and eastern edges of the
board, Northwestern Oil Emirate is considered
adjacent to, and may attack, Pevek.

So, I am with the rest of the guys. This is a typo, probably either the writer was used to the rules of original risk, or the connection was removed from the map due to design and they they didn't realize that it was mentioned in the instructions.

Go with how it look in the board, the Risk 2210 board is known for being very balanced and dynamic, and we already knew it has been changed from the original to remove some connections and add more territories.

(And BTW, yes... an error in the printing of the board is much more catastrophic and has bigger consequences. It has happened and when it does, it always becomes very very widely known. See Risk Onyx.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.