Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This evening my girlfriend and I played a 2 player (4 hero) game against Omnitron. Omnitron had a device out that had 15 HP and did X damage to all heroes, X being it's current HP. It went off doing a few damage, but my girlfriend used one of Tachyons ongoing cards that redirects some damage back to a target of her choice (I am paraphrasing since I didn't actually get to read the card). This was enough to destroy Omnitrons device, so my girlfriend placed it in the villains trash before it could do the damage to the rest of the team.

My question is, would the device continue to do it's damage to the rest of the team? Or was this a legal move? She took the damage first so she could do this move, and it was pretty handy. I've read that it's on the players to decide the order of events in each phase to benefit them the most. This seems to be one of those occasions, but it was only our second game so I'm still slightly fuzzy on the rules in situations like this. I've searched the forums and read through all three rulebooks but it's not unlike me to miss the one thing I'm looking for. Any help would be great, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
You played it exactly correct. Once a card is destroyed it stops being able to do damage because it's been destryoed. There are som exceptions but they will say things like "Until the start of the villain turn,..." these will persist until then, even if destroyed,. Otherwise, once the card goes, it's effects stop immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
"Offence often occurs when people mistake the subject of a joke with the actual target. They're not always the same."
badge
"Is there any subject you shouldn't joke about?" is no less ridiculous a question than "Is there any subject you shouldn't talk about?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a legal and smart move on her part.
Omnitron's Electro-Pulse Explosive deals each hero target its current HP in lightning damage. As this damage to the hero's is written in such a way as to be simultaneous, you may decide in what order the heroes take the damage. If Tachyon has Synaptic Interruption (ongoing, burst: If Taychon would be dealt 3 or more damage from a single source, you may redirect that damage to a target of your choice and destroy this card.) in play and takes the damage first then it would let her redirect the damage. If a card takes damage or is destroyed in the process of dealing damage, then it can change its remaining effects. In this case Synaptic Interruption lets you redirect a damage destroying the Explosive before it can damage other heroes. If, for example, instead it had been The Wraith in the game with the card Combat Stance (the first time Wraith is dealt damage each turn, she deals that target 2 damage) in play, then the Explosive would take her damage (assuming she didn't die) and deal the new reduced X Damage to the other heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you both very much. I'm so used to games giving the players the short of the stick when it comes to order of events that I had a hard time wrapping my head around using them to my advantage. My girlfriends sends her thanks too. She's excited that her brilliant move was legal and she's been lording it over me all day. Now I need to pull a power play to save her bacon in another game of Sentinels...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Over
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I'd thought of that yesterday when I did that stunt with Tachyon and we still had the other heroes take the damage from the explosive!

We still pulled out the win, but that would have left our heroes with more points to work with in terms of power options. In our case Legacy was soon down to single-digits and thus was generally unable to block or divert damage to himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muttley
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Kurt, I'm not sure Paul and David's way of playing it is correct. I think each hero would receive the damage simultaneously. Tachyon would then redirect back and take out Omnitron's Electro-Pulse Explosive card. I think it's ok to apply the damage one hero at a time but it seems like an explosion would still affect all heros. I think you played it correctly and it's suppose to be high damage dealing card. Maybe I'm wrong here but this is the way we played it, and still beat Omnitron easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
No damage is simultaneous in this game. Follow cards as to who gets hit first, if it's a tie, the team AS A COLLECTIVE decides who gets hit, deals, damage, effect equipment/ongoing, and so on....

Keep in mind... this games rules are VERY open for interpretation and manipulation and exploitation. The fact there hasn't been this MASSIVE errata to exact everything shows that >G has this game working as intended. So exploit everything you can to your advantage, but follow the few rules there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muttley
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I don't disagree that you can resolve the hit in an order but I don't feel that Tachyon retaliation to the hit (and destroying it) would prevent the rest of the heros from receiving their damage.

If I'm wrong on this then I blame too many years of playing MTG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deimo62 wrote:
I don't disagree that you can resolve the hit in an order but I don't feel that Tachyon retaliation to the hit (and destroying it) would prevent the rest of the heros from receiving their damage.

If I'm wrong on this then I blame too many years of playing MTG.

You would not be the first person to be lead astray by applying MtG rules to Sentinels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.