Subject: Missing / damaged components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received a copy of Mage Knight from an online merchant via Amazon UK yesterday - a retailer I hadn't used before. (My FLGS is an hour away by car and didn't have it in stock anyway).

Opened the cardboard shipping box and noticed the shrink-wrap was a bit messy, sort of puckered up a lot. I didn't think anything of it.

I opened the box, fairly impressed by the storage inserts and started to look through. It took me about 5 minutes to realise I was missing some bits... big bits! soblue

No rule book, no Walk through, no skill / rep tracker and no day / night board. Rather disappointed I started checking the rest of the components.

Although there was no damage to the outside box, the plastic insert was broken in the corner where the cards go. It also appeared the cards had been rammed in to the storage section, so the separator moulding was flattened.

A large number of the Shield tokens where really badly split or damaged, as were one or two of the rectangular cards.

A few Wound cards looked a bit battered at the edges, which I suspect happened when they jammed the cards in to the tray. A lot of the cards were a bit bowed as well.

To say I was gutted is an understatement. I'm assuming someone was having a bad day at the packaging plant, but considering the type of damage and the poor shrink-wrapping a part of me wonders if I was sold a used copy that had been resealed. In general the pieces are OK and most look new but the inside of the box was a little dusty and the bag for the crystal pieces looked tatty (plus all the stuff mentioned above).

I am awaiting a response from the retailer, but if anyone has any advice it would be welcome, as I've not encountered this before. I'd rather get a replacement or refund than have to get individual parts sent as the insert is broken.

On a side note... I thought the quality of the miniature painting was poor. The green character has a smudge of paint on his wings, and the black / red character isn't great either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're the cards wrapped in anything or were they put in there loose?

It sounds like someone got their hands on a shrink wrap machine and pulled a fast one on you. That's a lot of stuff to be missing/damaged for it to be WizKids fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Townsend
United States
New York
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mb
That is bad news. In the US, retailers who use Amazon for marketing and fulfilment basically have to commit to do 'no questions asked' return and refund. You can kick this off on the Amazon website. If the retailer stalls or refuses, I'd contact Amazon UK for assistance. As a last resort, the credit card company through which you paid can investigate this as a fraud (assuming the product was advertised as not defective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobotka wrote:
We're the cards wrapped in anything or were they put in there loose?

It sounds like someone got their hands on a shrink wrap machine and pulled a fast one on you. That's a lot of stuff to be missing/damaged for it to be WizKids fault.

Everything was wrapped in perfectly fitting bags. I am suspicious that it was used, but some of the stuff looked untouched while other bits (as described) were not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveTownsend wrote:
That is bad news. In the US, retailers who use Amazon for marketing and fulfilment basically have to commit to do 'no questions asked' return and refund. If the retailer refuses, I'd contact Amazon UK for assistance, and as a last resort, the credit card company through which you paid, to investigate this as a fraud (assuming the product was advertised as not defective).

The retailer has asked for photos of the damage (I copied one of the Shield tokens below - there were about 10 pieces like this). I'll give them until Monday and if they've not sorted something out I'll use the Amazon claims as you suggest and return the item at their cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that the retailer asked to see the damage is actually a good sign. You're not out of the woods yet, but it sounds like you'll at least get your money back, then the retailer will sort out why their product was damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb

That's crazy. Well, the quality of the painting is not so great anyway... don't get your hopes up there.

But they should not have let The Hulk pack your box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hum... sounds like... wizkids^^
i don't know, I don't wanna start this discussion,
but it sounds alot (and I mean A LOT!) like my experience with Mage Knight.
Same bad shrink (but as far as I know, this is the usual shrink they use in the US), sandy or "dusty" inlay, broken as well... I threw the inlay away immediately because it made me feel like I get a rash from it. I was missing a gold mana chrystal, a skill token, a lot of shield tokens and about 60 of those 240 cards were damaged because they were just pressed into the inlay. Not to mention all those misprinted offset cards and landscape tiles.

I claimed for replacement and got everything replaced for free from the publisher here in Germany.
Still the replaced cards were also slightly damaged and printed offset. The publisher told me that they can't give me a satisfactory replacement for them, because they just don't have well printed components, if not even worse printed ones.

I can play the game now, the components after the replacement are okay and are not distinguishable. Still I had to sleeve everything because the cards are so bad quality that some of them got slightly damaged from sleeving alone! And I am really careful when it comes to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the jammed cards are something odd because the way that insert is makes you jam the holy hell out of the cards (until you get the expansion which eases that a ton). I didn't have any of those problems other than the jammed cards in mine. Thankfully it was only 2 wounds that are significantly nicked. I really hate that stupid insert for the cards though. My only gripe about the base game honestly.

Hope you get everything straightened out as I'd be livid with everyone if I paid that much for a game and had that many broken pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Linnell
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jdoki wrote:
SteveTownsend wrote:
That is bad news. In the US, retailers who use Amazon for marketing and fulfilment basically have to commit to do 'no questions asked' return and refund. If the retailer refuses, I'd contact Amazon UK for assistance, and as a last resort, the credit card company through which you paid, to investigate this as a fraud (assuming the product was advertised as not defective).

The retailer has asked for photos of the damage (I copied one of the Shield tokens below - there were about 10 pieces like this). I'll give them until Monday and if they've not sorted something out I'll use the Amazon claims as you suggest and return the item at their cost.

That wouldn't be the "Online Game Shop" Amazon seller that were selling copies rather cheap? My copy from them had dodgy shrink wrap and a busted storage tray where the cards sit too, as well as a very mouldy/musty smell. Nothing missing and that a good airing would sort, but I put it down to their shoddy shipping. Anyway I messaged them and ended up getting a £20 refund and keeping the game. But if it's identical damage in two copies from the same seller things get interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JezUK wrote:

That wouldn't be the "Online Game Shop" Amazon seller that were selling copies rather cheap? My copy from them had dodgy shrink wrap and a busted storage tray where the cards sit too, as well as a very mouldy/musty smell. Nothing missing and that a good airing would sort, but I put it down to their shoddy shipping. Anyway I messaged them and ended up getting a £20 refund and keeping the game. But if it's identical damage in two copies from the same seller things get interesting...

Yes! That's the company I used! They were only about £1.50 cheaper than buying through Amazon directly, so no suspicions were raised.

They've offered me a £15 refund which I've refused. I've now raised a claim via Amazon to help arbitrate for a full refund or replacement.

That's really interesting you had the same damage from the same retailer. I'll be avoiding them in future.

I hope you're enjoying your copy, and fingers crossed I get to play mine some time soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read up on and quote from the distance selling regulations if you have to.

Here is a good place to start
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/regulation/11/m...
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/regulation/14/m...

In summary, under the regulations you have a week after receipt of goods to cancel the contract, and they have to refund you in full.

Also, under the sale of goods act, if a product develops a fault within 6 months of receipt the goods are automatically presumed to have been faulty on receipt and the retailer must repair or replace it.

Don't loose your consumer rights! Shout, scream and stamp your feet until you get satisfaction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless they changed the packaging for the third printing, the cards are wrapped in shrink wrap, not bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Campbell
msg tools
Just wanted to add my experience.

All my cards, tiles, fame track and day/night track were all bowed.

I tried using their online replacement tool but because of the amount of components I needed replaced, they said to e-mail.

I e-mailed Thursday and someone responded today (Monday) asking me to create a package on the online tool, he then modified it with all the components and said it should ship shortly.

We shall see how good the replacement parts are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
let us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tehmerms wrote:
Just wanted to add my experience.

All my cards, tiles, fame track and day/night track were all bowed.

I tried using their online replacement tool but because of the amount of components I needed replaced, they said to e-mail.

I e-mailed Thursday and someone responded today (Monday) asking me to create a package on the online tool, he then modified it with all the components and said it should ship shortly.

We shall see how good the replacement parts are...

That sounds like good service from Wizkids. Fingers crossed all the parts are fine.

I've just had agreement from the retailer to refund me the full amount plus postage costs to return the item. I thought about trying to get replacement parts direct from Wizkids, but I've not used a service like that before and assumed it would be tricky outside of the US. Plus the insert was badly damaged and the box was a dusty mess; and part of me didn't want to give money to a retailer that ignored distance selling regulations by trying to fob me off with a £15 refund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.