Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer

A puzzle is usually a game situation where you are asked to solve a specific problem. I wanted to start with something anybody could participate in, so it only uses core cards, and the difficulty is quite easy. If you guys like it, then I'll try to post some more advanced puzzles later on. If anybody want to post another puzzle please go ahead, I'll be glad to be on the solving side this time.

Kudos to IirionClaus, byronczimmer and General_Norris for their help refining the puzzle.

Puzzle

You are playing Runner, and had already scored 5 agenda points (Priority Requisition, Private Security Force). The Corp does not have anything left in HQ, but with 5 agenda points scored (Priority Requisition, Private Security Force). He will win next turn.

You start your turn by drawing your last card from stack, which is Tinkering. Then you feel running remote is too dangerous, so you decide to run R&D instead as your second click: you access Enigma. You now have 2 clicks left, could you still win the game ?

Runner (you) active player

Identity: Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Score area: (5 pts) Priority Requisition, Private Security Force
Credit pool: 5 credits
Clicks left: 2
Heap: not relevant (could be considered empty)
Stack: empty

Grip:
Cyberfeeder
Ninja
Inside Job
Modded
Tinkering

Rig
Cyberfeeder
Net Shield
Battering Ram

Corp (opponent)

Identity: Jinteki: Personal Evolution

Score area: (5 pts) Priority Requisition, Private Security Force
Credit pool: 3 credits
Archives: empty
HQ: empty
R&D: top card is Enigma, 20+ cards left

Remote Server:
ICE:
Rototurret (rezzed)
Neural Katana (rezzed)
Installed cards:

Nisei MK II 1 advancement counter (exposed because of infiltration last turn)
Red Herrings (exposed because of infiltration last turn)

Note:
- Your 2 first click actions may seems suboptimal to you. You have to accept that moves as forced play. Like if your young brother was playing Runner until then, and is now asking you to help him win the game.
- Score Areas are not empty but not shown on picture. They both contains 1 Priority Requisition and 1 Private Security Force.
- Some other game areas are not shown on pictures (Archives, Heap, Stack, HQ, ...) because they are not relevant in that easy puzzle. Consider them to be empty.

(Edit to add a note about the first two clicks)
(Edit to fix bad usages of R&D and Archives)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some tips

If you have hard time finding the solution to this puzzle, maybe it is because you do not know about one of the following rules:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

- The game is over as soon as you score your 7th agenda point, meaning that there is no time frame for Jinteki Personal Evolution ability to trigger before you secure the victory.

- When encoutering a piece of ice, the runner could activate any paid abilities to break any subroutines, in any order. After he did so, the non broken subroutines are resolved in print order. This means that it's legal to break "End the Run" subroutine of rototurret without bothering breaking "Trash a program" subroutine first, or at all.

If you actually do know about the above rules, but are still struggling, then maybe this advice will help you:

Don't forget who you are!

Solution

3rd click: Play Modded to install the Ninja icebreaker. Since you did not install anything else this turn, Kate ability reduce further the cost to 0 creds. A bargain if you ask me.

4th click: Run the remote server. You first encounter Rototurret, for which you only break the end the run subroutine with Ninja. This cost you 1 credit, paid with Cyberfeeder. Jinteki trash one of you program (let's say Ninja), but you get through anyway. You then encounter Neural Katana and discard your remaining 3 cards to it. Finally you pay 5 credits to bypass Red Herrings protection to access and score Nisei MK II.

You win the game, and Jinteki: Personal Evolution ability triggers too late too prevent that well deserved victory.

Feedback

You could help me adjusting the difficulty of the next puzzles by answering this pool:

Poll
For you, the difficulty of this first puzzle was
a little bit too tricky: I get lost at some point and I would like something more straightforward next time
just right: I'm not sure I would want something more complex than that
not that hard: It was a good introduction, but I don't mind something a little bit more challenging for the next time
damn too easy: I like the puzzle idea, but honestly this one was trivial. I could definitively handle something much more complex, please step up
      24 answers
Poll created by Haiku

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Haiku wrote:
You now have 2 clicks left, could you still win the game ?

Yes
Click 1: Play Modded, install Ninja for 0 credits (thx to being Kate)
Click 2: Run remote, use Cyberfeeder to break ETR on Rototurret, let Jinteki trash one program, discard your remaining 3 cards for Neural Katana and pay five credits to score Nisei.
You win because Jintekis identity ability comes "too late".

Thank you very much for doing these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Grande
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got it

I've also thought about doing puzzles for A:N but the limitation of clicks and the hidden information make it more difficult than Magic puzzles, for example. Anyhow, I did one, I'll share it with you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

- 1 of your actions must be a run to score the agenda.
- You can't use any credits because you require 5 to steal the agenda.

- Thus first action: Mod the Ninja (5 credits remaining, 3 cards left)
- Second action: Run remote server
- You use the credit from cyberfeeder to break the rototurret end the run with Ninja. (5 credits remaining)
- You lose a program, it doesn't matter which.
- You take 3 net damage (0 cards remaining)
- You access cards, paying 5 credits for the agenda (0 credits remaining)
- You have 7 agenda points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So only 2 Cliks left... and 5 Credits must be saved for stealing the agenda...

3rd Click: Play Modded to Install Ninja for free... Modded + ID Ability = Installcost lowerd by 4.
4th Click: Run on remoteserver
Only break end the run subroutine with Ninja, spend the credit on cyberfeeder..
After that the crop will trash one program of you an deal 3 damage... but you are in and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice puzzle but the real question is:

Why did I draw a card when I could win by taking 2 credits and running on the remote server???

2 clicks = 2 credits (making 7)
Play inside job, and bypass rototurret.
take 3 damage (down to zero cards in hand)
pay 5 for red herrings and take the agenda.

I assume the inside job is in the hand to make it a "red herring" for the solution, but it turns this theoretical situation into something that should never occur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:

Why did I draw a card when I could win by taking 2 credits and running on the remote server???

2 clicks = 2 credits (making 7)
Play inside job, and bypass rototurret.
take 3 damage (down to zero cards in hand)
pay 5 for red herrings and take the agenda.

I assume the inside job is in the hand to make it a "red herring" for the solution, but it turns this theoretical situation into something that should never occur

Agree, especially given that

If you're paying attention, you KNOW what the last card will be anyway. And on the second click, if you can definitely win (albeit with no cards), you should do that over a random run on R&D

Love the idea though, and look forward to the next one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
(rephrasing)
~ Why my 2 first clicks are spend in such a suboptimal way ? ~

Thanks, this is a valid observation! I made that choice for aestitic reason (click counter position), but it could lead to a NPE for solver (forced bad decisions).

I will try to pay more attention to that kind of details in next puzzles. For the moment the answer has to be: "just because" cool

I'll edit my original post with your observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavlos Pavlopoulos
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb

Click 3: Mod in the Ninja for 0 creds.
Click 4: Run the remote, break end the run with the Cyberfeeder cred, have a program trashed, lose the rest of my cards, forgo trashing the red herrings and score Nisei with my remaining 5.

Suboptimal first half of the turn aside, these have the potential to be awesome! Great idea, can't wait for the next puzzles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sohum Banerjea
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun puzzle, thanks!

If you want to fix the above valid observation, possibly:

"You have Wyldside out, so you drew up to these five cards" and "You have four credits" would be the only changes you have to make. You now have three clicks and four credits, rather than two clicks and five credits, and I can't think of any other thing they can interestingly do with the extra click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
sohum wrote:
Fun puzzle, thanks!

If you want to fix the above valid observation, possibly:

"You have Wyldside out, so you drew up to these five cards" and "You have four credits" would be the only changes you have to make. You now have three clicks and four credits, rather than two clicks and five credits, and I can't think of any other thing they can interestingly do with the extra click.

Other than saying you know modded or ninja is the last card in your deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool puzzle. Pretty much got the answer. But I really wanted to use the Tinker, but that would be 1 cred short of the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These kinds of "win in 2 clicks" puzzles are really a cool idea. And yes I agree there's no point in bemoaning the wasted two clicks. To be honest, in future puzzles I wouldn't even explain what happened to them (just tell the current state including click count).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great puzzle!

Note, runner has "stack" and "heap", not "R&D" and "archives". I just mention because I was confused reading it the first time. (R&D empty? Runner wins!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromus wrote:

Note, runner has "stack" and "heap", not "R&D" and "archives". I just mention because I was confused reading it the first time. (R&D empty? Runner wins!)

Thank you to point that out, it was lazy copy/paste during the writings. I feel the pain of rulebook writers, it's so easy to mess up or slip a word

I fixed the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haiku wrote:
I'll edit my original post with your observation.

You could say that the Runner draws Inside Job, not Tinkering. Or change Inside Job to some other red herring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Har. Let this be a lesson. Always look for the simple answer first. I was trying to work out way more complicated plans.

Click 3: Modded + Kate to install Ninja for free. Click 4: Run Remote server, paying 1 from Cyberfeeder to break the End the Run on Rototurret. Let Trash 1 Program Fire. Let Neural Katana fire, discarding my three remaining cards. This leaves 5 credits to beat Red Herrings, steal Nisei, and win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys I have a question about this solution. Apparently the rules work differently than I think, because based on my understanding of the rules, I wouldn't think this works.

When the runner encounters Roboturret with Ninja and fails to break the first subroutine, can't the Corp just trash Ninja at that point?

If this is the solution, that must not be true. If it isn't true, then:

1) Is it because the Runner picks which program to trash? I thought the Corp picked.

2) Is it because all of the interaction with the ICE/ICEbreaker goes off before any of the subroutines resolve? That's a MAJOR difference between how my group has been playing. I suspect this is the answer, and if so, I thank the OP for posting the puzzle so I could learn about the proper way to execute the ICE attacks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
These kinds of "win in 2 clicks" puzzles are really a cool idea. And yes I agree there's no point in bemoaning the wasted two clicks. To be honest, in future puzzles I wouldn't even explain what happened to them (just tell the current state including click count).

Do it like Duelist used to. Just come up with an elaborate backstory about how Kate's evil twin had been using her rig to pester and Jinteki and now, buzzed on Disel, Kate has to worm her way out of this substandard situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
Guys I have a question about this solution. Apparently the rules work differently than I think, because based on my understanding of the rules, I wouldn't think this works.

When the runner encounters Roboturret with Ninja and fails to break the first subroutine, can't the Corp just trash Ninja at that point?

1) Is it because the Runner picks which program to trash? I thought the Corp picked.

2) Is it because all of the interaction with the ICE/ICEbreaker goes off before any of the subroutines resolve? That's a MAJOR difference between how my group has been playing. I suspect this is the answer, and if so, I thank the OP for posting the puzzle so I could learn about the proper way to execute the ICE attacks :)

#1 is not correct, as it is indeed the Corp who picks.

For #2, the Runner has the opportunity to activate as many of his paid abilities (icebreakers) as he wants before declaring he is finished. Only then do the ICE subroutines resolve. So the Runner says "I'll break the ETR subroutine with my Ninja. Now I am done." and then the Corp gets to trash 1 program. So the Ninja is gone, but Neural Katana has no ETR subroutine, so the Runner will just tank the net damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept getting confused by the Face-up Nisei with a counter on it, trying to figure out how on earth I was going to run this server twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I think instead of "having Infiltrated on a previous turn" you could have somehow run that server previously and not had a single cred so you couldn't steal and you couldn't even trashed Red Herrings. Perhaps the corp didn't have enough credits to finish and you somehow ended in this state.

Also, it was a nice puzzle. I've been thinking about doing one of these myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Pietrzak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great stuff. I got the answer and thinking about it was fun. Please keep them coming (this also to whoever else might be interested in doing the same puzzles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:

2) Is it because all of the interaction with the ICE/ICEbreaker goes off before any of the subroutines resolve? That's a MAJOR difference between how my group has been playing. I suspect this is the answer, and if so, I thank the OP for posting the puzzle so I could learn about the proper way to execute the ICE attacks

#2 is exactly the point Haiku was attempting to illustrate with this puzzle - so mission accomplished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.