11 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: we will bury you. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Unreasonably Spiteful
Greece
flag msg tools
I have used the card in the headline of the turn. On my first action i've played middle east scoring. I have domination and the US player has merely presence. So i earn 5 + 2 battlegrouds = 7 VP . US has presence 3 + 1 from Battlegroud . So i earn 3 from the scoring card . Am i take + 3 from the Will bury you or none because US doesnt take VP ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Since the US hasn't had his Action Round yet, you don't get the WWBY VPs. If you play WWBY as a headline, you don't get the VPs before the US has had his AR*. It doesn't matter at all what you play for your first AR.

*) except, as I understand it, if it's clear that US can't play UN Intervention, e.g. if it's in the discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jablow
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
Since the US hasn't had his Action Round yet, you don't get the WWBY VPs. If you play WWBY as a headline, you don't get the VPs before the US has had his AR*. It doesn't matter at all what you play for your first AR.

*) except, as I understand it, if it's clear that US can't play UN Intervention, e.g. if it's in the discards.

Even then, you don't get the points until the Action Round itself. If the other player somehow wins the game in his Headline Phase or on your first AR, you don't get the points. But would you get the points at the beginning of the AR or the end I'm not sure about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
EricRJ wrote:
Even then, you don't get the points until the Action Round itself.

Apparently false. From the Collected Rulings: "The 3VP is awarded as soon as it is clear that the US player will not play UN as an event the scoring takes place. (so the 3 VP would be awarded before the US player's event, unless that event could possibly lead to the play of UN Intervention)."

Jason Matthews: "once it is clear that the US player will not play UN as an event the scoring takes place."

/canofworms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Belegk wrote:
I have used the card in the headline of the turn. On my first action i've played middle east scoring. I have domination and the US player has merely presence. So i earn 5 + 2 battlegrouds = 7 VP . US has presence 3 + 1 from Battlegroud . So i earn 3 from the scoring card . Am i take + 3 from the Will bury you or none because US doesnt take VP ?

Your AR1 play has no effect at all on the resolution of WWBY. At the start of US AR1 (immediately when it's clear that he won't play UN Intervention) the USSR will receive 3 VP (before the US will get any VP from his played card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
Jason Matthews: "once it is clear that the US player will not play UN as an event the scoring takes place."

So what if USSR play WWBY in the headline phase. USA has 19 VP and plays a card that would award him exactly 1 VP (Alliance for progress or a scoring card).

UN Intervention is in the discard pile

Does USA win when his card is played or does USSR receive his points first? As soon as WWBY is played it is clear that USA will not play UN Intervention since it is in the discard pile...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As I understand Jason Matthews' answer and the entry in the Collected Rulings thread, the USSR would win in that case since the WWBY VPs would be awarded in the headline phase.

(That's not how I personally would have interpreted WWBY, but if that comment by JM is canon, then I stand by the above.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the collected rulings and turbothy above, USSR would win on autovictory on US AR1 (assuming nothing else affecting VPs occurs on USSR AR1). On US AR1, they play the scoring card for 1 VP. This is not UN Intervention, so the USSR is awarded 1VP for WWBY before the scoring card takes effect. USSR Victory.

ETA: While practically speaking you probably can just award the victory at the headlines, technically I think it should be played out. While extremely unlikely, the Soviet player could make some kind of error during their turn that affects the score prior to the US turn or somehow allows the US player to draw UN Intervention from the draw pile.

And help my memory out here - is there any card that would allow the US player to draw UN Intervention from the discard pile and play it in the same action round? I'm thinking no, but all the draw cards are kind of mixed up in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4100xpb wrote:

And help my memory out here - is there any card that would allow the US player to draw UN Intervention from the discard pile and play it in the same action round? I'm thinking no, but all the draw cards are kind of mixed up in my head.

Star Wars does exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiss
afafard wrote:
4100xpb wrote:

Star Wars does exactly that.

Thanks, I thought there was one. So if USSR headlines a game winning WWBY with UN Intervention in the discard pile, a US player ahead in the space race and holding SALT Star Wars could pull UN Intervention out and play it on their first AR to prevent the WWBY points.

While certainly a rare situation, it would be fun to shut down a USSR player from thinking they had just won the game with this.

Edited to fix my brain fart, thanks Alex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4100xpb wrote:

Thanks, I thought there was one. So if USSR headlines a game winning WWBY with UN Intervention in the discard pile, a US player ahead in the space race and holding SALT could pull UN Intervention out and play it on their first AR to prevent the WWBY points.

While certainly a rare situation, it would be fun to shut down a USSR player from thinking they had just won the game with this.

SALT does not allow to play the discard card picked event right away. Only Star Wars does.

There is another scenario that would work; Given that the USSR is holding UN, US could play the Grain Sales event.
A lucky US player could pick it and play the event.

Anyway, I personnaly think the US should be allowed to play its action round and, as written on the WWBY event, grant the USSR player his point before any US potential scoring (unless the UN event gets played during his AR).
You never know what kind of trick can be pulled out of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.