Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the 325th Play-By-Forum Battlestar Galactica game. It will follow the format established by ColtsFan76. It will be a 5-player Pegasus game, heading for Kobol, without Cylon Leader.

Players

This game is the first that I am moderating and it is sort of a rematch for BSG 321 - Countdown which ended rather anticlimatically by the hands of two Centurions. After this game I will start a game using the waiting list (found here: BSG PBF Wiki).

The players are:
Flyboy Connor
Zeller
l33tspaniard
nmarlowe062
al_fredo

Rule changes

If Cain is amongst the crew, her OPG will be the "Really Blind Jump": the jump will be to the second destination from the top, the first being buried.

Playing notes

The regulations of the game are pretty much as in all the other threads. If this is your first BSG PBF game, please read through at least one of the previous games to get a feeling for how it is done.

Some particular notes for those taking part (you can find more notes and tips on nbergom's geeklist Tips and Tricks of BSG PBF):

1) Subscribe to this thread.

2) Please, login at least once a day, preferably more. As this is a European game, you might expect most players to have some time in the evenings. Logging on at least twice in the evening would probably do a lot to keep the game moving. Note that I have a 24-hour rule in place: when it is your turn to act, I expect you to respond within 24 hours; if not, then I am going to take measures, which may lead to seeking a replacement if your absence was unannounced. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time (and that is totally acceptable), please tell us in the thread (or me by geekmail), and we can pause the game if necessary.

3) All players must have their own copies of the game as I am only going to publish card titles (this is an FFG request).

4) Private communication will be by geekmail between me and particular players, all other communication will be by posting in this thread. Please start your geekmail subject line with "BSG 325" and your character name.

5) To speed up the game, please use Conditional Orders (i.e., geekmail me what you will do if certain circumstances arise). CO's are particularly useful for interrupts, such as Evasive Maneuvers. I am going to assume some standard CO's are in place (see below). Note that I prefer not to get "public CO's" until all Cylons are known.

6) Please use the following posting conventions:
- Normal text for discussions.
- Italics for flavor texts.
- Bold for in-game moves and actions. I won't process any decisions/actions unless bolded in the thread or I receive them by geekmail.

7) Please, make clear in each post who your character is by posting a banner at the top of your post. Great banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here (use the "medium" option to display them). If you find using a banner is too much of a hassle (or you are on your phone), at least list your character name (preferably in bold) at the top of your post.

8) For flavor, a useful selection of character pictures is hosted on this geeklist by GerryRailBaron, though by all means provide your own if you wish. Easy, quick links to the items on Gerry's geeklist are provided here.

9) Please do not post any (big) spoilers for the television series in the thread.

Standard Conditional Orders

To keep the game flowing at a reasonable speed, I am going to assume that the following standard conditional orders are in place:

- No player will use Strategic Planning, Evasive Maneuvers, or Calculations to help the Cylon cause.
- No player will use a Strategic Planning on a scouting roll, unless there are two or fewer raptors available.
- If a scout is launched without mention of which deck to scout, the target will be the Crisis Deck.
- Evasive Maneuvers will be used to save a viper from damage or destruction: (a) when the viper gets destroyed; (b) when the viper is manned; (c) when it is the last viper that protects a civilian in a sector; (d) when there are two or fewer undamaged vipers left. No EM will played in other cases. In general, I will automatically play the lowest-valued EM, giving preference to cards from the pilot of a viper that gets damaged. If there is still a choice, I will choose the one closest in playing order to the current player.
- If a check is failed by 1 or 2, Declare Emergency will not be played unless an explicit CO is given to that effect (note that you can give me a general CO that you want to use DEs on skill checks to save them).
- No player will use his OPG before the sleeper-agent phase has hit.
- Adama will not use his OPG, unless he announces (by GM or in the thread) that he wants to decide on it after the current skill check.
- Chief will not use his OPG, unless he announces (by GM or in the thread) that he wants to decide on it at the end of the current skill check.
- Starbuck will not use her OPG on a crisis; however, I will wait for a decision on her OPG if (a) it is after the sleeper-agent phase; and (b) the crisis is an assault and the jump track is in the red, or it is a crisis that might cost humanity the game. Any further crises that she wants me to wait on, she has to let me know by GM.
- Helo will not use his OPG; however, I will wait for a decision on his OPG if (a) it is after the sleeper-agent phase; and (b) the decision on a crisis is made by a revealed or soft-revealed Cylon.
- Helo will use his ECO ability to reroll a die that harms humanity.

All these conditional orders hold for all players, whether they are human or hidden Cylon. However, as soon as someone has clearly soft-revealed as a Cylon, I will no longer hold them to these CO's. But you best let me know explicitly by GM that you no longer want to follow them, as we might not agree on what "soft-revealing" means. Of course, if you want to stick to completely different CO's altogether, just give them to me.

As for OPGs, as you can see from the CO's above I will not wait for them unless I have a reason to. That reason might be that someone brings it up in the thread. So, if one player wants another to consider using their OPG, they don't have to hope that the other player will give a timely command to that effect: they can simply announce in the thread that they want that other player to consider using their OPG, and I will then halt the game at the appropriate time.

Acknowledgments

My thanks to Orphius, whose spreadsheets I am using to mod this game and to Flyboy Connor whose opening post I just shamelessly copied.

As for the title of the game: It is a reference to the poem Ulysses by Tennyson which ends with the lines:

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

First thing after everyone checked in will be the determination of the player order. As Pieter suggested, I would clump the Europeans and American together to reduce delays. The question where to place Neil Sean who while being located in Texas was up during European times as well. So I suggest that his spot be after the Europeans but before the Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for starting your "job" as moderator. Deeply appreciated.
Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Marlowe
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in, but you have me and Sean B confused. Only on the weekends am I up at all hours of the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In....and thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nmarlowe062 wrote:
I'm in, but you have me and Sean B confused. Only on the weekends am I up at all hours of the night.

Right, my bad. That what happens if I only refer to players by their characters' names for too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Zelei
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am!

Any questions that you have about modding (without giving any secrets away, of course), don't hesitate to ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already CO'd for Character choice. I'm sure Sean B will be in...so I'd say roll the dice, and he can check in and pick a character in one post. If he's out for some reason, we can find a replacement when his choice comes up.

BTW...as a consolation to the Human loss last game, at least we got the Imperatrix Ellen banner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, let's do this then. First sort by Continent and randomize those putting l33tspaniard in between.

Europe: Who is first? 1custom2{Zeller;Flyboy Connor} -> ( Flyboy Connor) -> Flyboy Connor

America: Who is first? 1custom2{al_fredo;nmarlowe062} -> ( nmarlowe062) -> nmarlowe062

Which mean you are seated in the following order:

Flyboy Connor
Zeller
l33tspaniard
nmarlowe062
al_fredo

Now who of you will start? 1custom5{Flyboy Connor;Zeller;l33tspaniard;nmarlowe062;al_fredo} -> ( Flyboy Connor) -> Flyboy Connor

That means the order above is already the one we will be using.

Flyboy Connor, you're up for choosing a character! Base game and Pegasus only.

Edit: I guess I should you all from the waiting list then, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 251867. Sunchaser
  • 1custom2{Zeller;Flyboy Connor} =
  • ( Flyboy Connor) =
  • Flyboy Connor
  • Who is first?
  • Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm
  • [+]
  • 251868. Sunchaser
  • 1custom2{al_fredo;nmarlowe062} =
  • ( nmarlowe062) =
  • nmarlowe062
  • Who is first?
  • Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 pm
  • [+]
  • 251869. Sunchaser
  • 1custom5{Flyboy Connor;Zeller;l33tspaniard;nmarlowe062;al_fredo} =
  • ( Flyboy Connor) =
  • Flyboy Connor
  • Now who of you will start?
  • Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I started second guessing that player order. If l33tspaniard is usually up late, maybe it is better to have him at position 5 instead of 3.

Edit: I'll wait for a comment from him but it seems the better way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question: Did you direct message him? Because I forgot to subscribe to the thread. And he hasn't posted here yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a hard time choosing, but ultimately decided to go for my favorite politician:

My dear fellow crew members,

I am delighted, ecstatic even, that you decided to bestow upon me the lofty position of "President of the Twelve Colonies." Ignoring the fact that the twelve colonies are now in the hands of Cylons, I promise you that I will be a fair and righteous leader, who will treat each and every citizen with equal respect, whether they are from glorious Caprica, courageous Tauron, backwards Sagittaron, pig-headed Gemenon, depraved Virgon, or any of those "minor" colonies whose names elude me for the moment.

Let us put all our petty differences aside for the moment. They are a thing of the past. We should now strive for a common goal, which the Admiral told me is the discovery of the planet Kobol. You may wonder why he thinks that is so important. Frankly, it's got me stumped too. I've not heard anything really good about it. The man seems to know what he's doing, though, so my advise to you all is to follow his lead. I know I will, at least in military matters. As for civil matters, rest assured that I will keep a firm hand on the steering wheel.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy the view: if you look out of the starboard window, you can see some spectacular nuclear explosions over the main continent of Aerilon. What's that, Billy? Oh, OK. Billy tells me that is actually Leonis. Big whoop. It's not as if we will ever return there.

I will now retire to my office, but I will be back later with more updates on our progress. I wish you all a pleasant flight.

Roslin out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Zelei
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose Karl 'Helo' Agathon and pick one card from each color as my strating draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dee!

2 Tactics and 1 Engineering by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That just blew up my CO...Ok, MOD - cancel it while I think about. Since I'm last, I should look where we end up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Funnily enough I had checked this thread two hours ago and wasn't sure of who to pick until after breakfast whistle since I picked a support, you can move me to the last spot if you think that would work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, here he is. So I guess we'll stick to that player order.

nmarlowe062, any Military Leader Pilot or the Chief.

Edit: ninja'd by Allen and Sean.
Edit: Why can't Helo just stay at his desk as a good Military Leader would?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Feindt
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not too fond of changing the order after you picked. Not sure how big the delay will usually be because of that but I think we can live with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW...choice is between Chief and Pilot. Helo is Military.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I could take Boomer if you hate Pilots, I know that's not uncommon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not me that's up! I'm fine with a pilot, which it appears I'll be able to pick no matter what. But being last, I probably should look at the distribution of available cards. Right now, we're a bit weak on Politics. Gaius might be a good pick, but I've played him A LOT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Politics there is the Press Room. I always like it if someone is stationed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...me too. Well...If he picks Chief, I know who I'm picking. If he picks a pilot, I have the board open. And still not sure yet. How do we feel two pilots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problems with two pilots. Really, any crew can work. Apollo can basically fulfill any role. So go ahead and pick whomever you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.