Pål Toler
Sweden
Uppsala
Unspecified
flag msg tools
OF GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Tovak's cooperative skill Mana Overload work with Concentration (i.e can Concentration be considered to be a card that gives Move, Influence or any type of Attack or Block)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatty wrote:
Does Tovak's cooperative skill Mana Overload work with Concentration (i.e can Concentration be considered to be a card that gives Move, Influence or any type of Attack or Block)?

I tend to answer "no" with the following statement from the official Rules FAQ thread:

Q: When I play another card with cards like Concentration, Will Focus and Maximal Effect, how does this work with resistances?
A: The second card played is what matters since the first card is just making the second card better. So, if you play Maximal Effect with Ice Shield on an enemy with Fire Resistance - the Ice Shield special effect still happens. But not if the enemy has Ice Resistance.

But it depends on what's written on Mana Overload exactly. I haven't got my copy yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatty wrote:

If you play advanced Concentration to play a card that generates Move, Influence, Attack or Block, then yes. If you play basic Concentration, or play advanced Concentration to play a card that doesn't generate Move, Influence, Attack, or Block, then no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
MANA OVERLOAD
Once a Round:
Choose a color other than gold and gain a mana token of that color. Put this Skill token in the center and mark it with another token of the same color. The first player who uses mana of that color to power a card that gives Move, Influence, or any type of Attack or Block, gets +4 from that card and returns the Skill to you, face down.

Judging by that, if you're using Concentration with another card to give it the +2 bonus (or +3 for Goldyx) to Move, Influence, Attack, or Block, and if the mana token on the skill token is green, then you will get the extra bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The skill says "the first player..." Can you set yourself up by using it for a token, and then playing the same mana on a card to get the bonus from Mana overload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
The skill says "the first player..." Can you set yourself up by using it for a token, and then playing the same mana on a card to get the bonus from Mana overload.

If you read the general rules about interactive skills, you'll see that the secondary effect is for OTHER players, not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Floating World wrote:

If you read the general rules about interactive skills, you'll see that the secondary effect is for OTHER players, not for you.

Thanks for the response. Guess this is an other thing we played wrong, even after 40+plays. One cannot remember all the rules exeptions in Mage Knigt. (There should be a saying: It is a s difficult as remembering all the rules exeptions in Mage Knight :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case someone finds this thread: the answer is no, Mana Overload doesn't work with concentration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.