Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Police Precinct» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of dealing with emergencies when an Urgent marker is on the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night and the two of us who knew the rules (or so we thought) differed on our interpretation of the Urgent marker effects.

Lets say you have 2 yellow emergencies, one of which has the Urgent marker. Does it matter which of the 2 you attend to first? I didn't think it did; if you resolved the yellow emergency without the marker first, the marker on the other yellow emergency stays in place, moving when needed, without any further negative effects.

My friend thought you needed to specifically resolve the emergency with the Urgent marker, or it will fail as soon as circumstances require it to move, even if, at that point, it is the only yellow on the board.

Which of these interpretations is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
You can resolve them in any order you want, but you must weigh the risks of doing the non-urgent emergency first.

Your friend is correct that if the urgent marker moves, the emergency it came from is failed, even if it's the only one of it's color.

Using your example, if you have two yellow and you do the non-urgent first, a second emergency of a different color may be drawn forcing you to lose (discard) the urgent yellow emergency and increasing the crime track.

I believe that if you solve 1 yellow and then a second yellow were to come up you would be safe and not fail the first, but I'm sure the Chief will be around to point out if this is wrong.
(That's the way I've played so far, I think; maybe didn't come up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wah, I hate being wrong!

Thanks for the clarification. Will resolve the Urgent emergencies first from now on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Wah, I hate being wrong!

Thanks for the clarification. Will resolve the Urgent emergencies first from now on!

Deb, actually you were right! So is Wyphy!!

All Wyphy is saying is that... Your interpretation is correct, but your friend is thinking along the right lines in terms of strategy.

So, YES you CAN handle any emergency you want at any time, BUT if you solve the one with the Urgent Marker, you are doing yourself more good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but if my friend was correct, I was not.

I meant by that phrase "without any further negative effects" that the remaining yellow Urgent emergency would not fail if the Urgent marker were forced to move - because, I reasoned, there was only one yellow emergency on the board at that time.

He wins, I lose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:

I meant by that phrase "without any further negative effects" that the remaining yellow Urgent emergency would not fail if the Urgent marker were forced to move - because, I reasoned, there was only one yellow emergency on the board at that time.

He wins, I lose!

Ah...

Yes, I get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe "without any further negative effects" means "in this turn"??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:

[...]

He wins, I lose!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured you'd find this, Michael!

MM: 1
DW: 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.