Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

I appreciate the effort, really I do. But I have a suggestion.

If you see a nice deal on Tanga, don't bother posting it unless you are a regular follower of Tanga and know that it's new.

Most of the games on Tanga have been available at their current prices (or, in some cases, even lower) for months. Occasionally something new will appear, but true Hot Deals are kind of rare.

Magestorm? Months.

Race for the Galaxy? Months.

Don't worry -- if something new that's worth mentioning pops up, someone will notice it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
Hi everyone!

I appreciate the effort, really I do. But I have a suggestion.

If you see a nice deal on Tanga, don't bother posting it unless you are a regular follower of Tanga and know that it's new.

Most of the games on Tanga have been available at their current prices (or, in some cases, even lower) for months. Occasionally something new will appear, but true Hot Deals are kind of rare.

Magestorm? Months.

Race for the Galaxy? Months.

Don't worry -- if something new that's worth mentioning pops up, someone will notice it.

Also, check this first:

[Closed] Ye Olde Tanga Board Game Liste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:

This! Checking this list will tell you if it's anything special or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do people even try to post this stuff?

New users will come in all the time. About 1% of them will read sticky threads. Especially since the easiest way to post a new thread isn't even by going to the forum itself....

In fact I bet there are a ton of users who don't even realize there is a forum behind the front page widget for Hot Deals.

My suggest is better. When you get a tanga deal you know is old click the "Mark Read" and live and let live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:

You realize you are saying to new users "People are better at this than you, leave it to the professionals" right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
DJ Kuul A wrote:

You realize you are saying to new users "People are better at this than you, leave it to the professionals" right?

Sometimes that's just true... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'I'm alright if I miss a hot deal because someone was unsure if they should post it' - no one, never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:
DJ Kuul A wrote:

Sometimes that's just true... whistle

I'm not saying it isn't true. It is obvious there are people who are more diligent about researching and posting deals.

Sure there are rules and there should be, but to call out posts like this isn't very friendly.

I use this forum a lot and I posted a few things a couple years back. I realized then that I shouldn't post anything - even if I think I found it. It isn't worth having the backlash if it was posted three months ago and I didn't see it.

So, you do miss out on some deals, possibly, that I would post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
Sure there are rules and there should be, but to call out posts like this isn't very friendly.

DJ Kuul A's post was very friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hatemachine wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:

I read it as quite sarcastic. Posting the examples with the comment that they have been up for months. Noting appreciation when still posting the topic (just like the good old Larry David bit "On the other hand")...

The comment that really says "We can do it better"

It seems passive aggressive to me. I normally don't comment on stuff like this, but it inspired me to.

The friendly thing would have been kind and direct comment / GM on the original post... as is normally done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
hatemachine wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:

I read it as quite sarcastic. Posting the examples with the comment that they have been up for months. Noting appreciation when still posting the topic (just like the good old Larry David bit "On the other hand")...

The comment that really says "We can do it better"

It seems passive aggressive to me. I normally don't comment on stuff like this, but it inspired me to.

The friendly thing would have been kind and direct comment / GM on the original post... as is normally done.

I read it as neither sarcastic, nor passive aggressive.

(this is also not sarcasm)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
If we're going to whine about Tanga posts, how about when only the game price gets posted with no mention of the additional shipping cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb

The hot deals forum is not here to serve a select few. It's here to be used by everyone on BGG. Fellow BGGers should not be afraid to post something in hot deals because a few users take it upon themselves to act as admins.

Did I find the OP's post passive-aggressive? Yes, especially when the post calls out two recent threads. Not cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cobb
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
Hi everyone!

People that aren't a regular follower of Tanga are exactly the people that need a friendly alert to a deal they might be interested in.

DJ Kuul A wrote:
Hi everyone!
Magestorm? Months.

Months? This week was the first time I'd seen it. Maybe if there were more posts and people weren't harassed for posting deals then I would have known months ago.

I respectfully must disagree with your position and, personally, will keep sharing information that I think may be of use to someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. When I read it to me it came across is more BGG elitism telling people what they should and should not do here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
My suggest is better. When you get a tanga deal you know is old click the "Mark Read" and live and let live.

You realize you're saying that the problem is hard so we shouldn't try to do anything to make it better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
HI appreciate the effort, really I do. But I have a suggestion.

argh, you do realize you just posted a non-"hot deal" yourself in the "hot deals" forum... check out the pinned thread for this forum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
DJ Kuul A wrote:
HI appreciate the effort, really I do. But I have a suggestion.

argh, you do realize you just posted a non-"hot deal" yourself in the "hot deals" forum... check out the pinned thread for this forum...

HA! Outstanding. This thread is really making my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:

You realize you're saying that the problem is hard so we shouldn't try to do anything to make it better?

Not everything in the world is a problem. Tanga deals in the Hot Deals forum is about as low as it gets. If it is a problem, it is certainly a First World problem.

If it isn't a problem, I don't see why ignoring it is such a major deal. I think the world would be a lot better if people stopped trying to solve everyone else's itty bitty issues...

But I do see why you read that sentiment into what I said. I just don't exactly take issue with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
If it isn't a problem, I don't see why ignoring it is such a major deal. I think the world would be a lot better if people stopped trying to solve everyone else's itty bitty issues...

There is a problem. It takes virtually no effort to try and mitigate the problem, i.e. pinning this thread to the forum. That won't completely solve the problem, but could make it better.

Minimal effort, some improvement. Why not do it? Unless you just want to be obstinate for the sake of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a lesson in here somewhere to be learned by all parties involved, I just can't seem to put my finger on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:

There is a problem. It takes virtually no effort to try and mitigate the problem, i.e. pinning this thread to the forum. That won't completely solve the problem, but could make it better.

Minimal effort, some improvement. Why not do it? Unless you just want to be obstinate for the sake of it.

I am glad to concede this argument so it doesn't go on. A sticky thread about tanga sounds great if it makes you happy.

If I remember Aldie has some sort of stake in tanga, so it may never happen, but go for it.

I suggest in the sticky you just point to the GeekList and be kind - not try to post examples of issues.

It would even be interesting to analyze the posts before and after... then we can get an idea of its effectiveness. Maybe then we can have stickies about CoolStuff's daily deals, or amazon around Christmas.

When the front page is full of stickies, then everyone will be forced to read them! It will be a beautiful world of totalitarian problem solving....

Sheesh. As an advocate of ignoring things I really took that bait, didn't I? lol....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea here is that there is nothing to improve. Nothing is perfect nor does it need to be.

Thanks for your opinion, but the Admins have already decided against the OP's desire. Instead of taking it up with the Admins, whose job it is to oversee the site (their job, not yours),the OP has decided to try and intimidate people in a passive-aggressive manner.

If you have a problem with people posting a hot deal, the Admins have asked that you click the red X and do nothing more. If you feel that is not enough, please take this discussion up with the Admins, and stop intimidating people from posting hot deals.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Threads like these make me want to go through and find every game deal in Tanga and post a thread for each one.

I won't, but it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Sutherland
United Kingdom
HAMPTON
MIDDLESEX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
... there are a ton of users who don't even realize there is a forum behind the front page widget for Hot Deals....

A forum? I didn't even realise there was a widget!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.