Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
casperthegoth wrote:
... there are a ton of users who don't even realize there is a forum behind the front page widget for Hot Deals....
A forum? I didn't even realise there was a widget!

What's a widget?! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
badge
Solo Monk - Thelonious Monk
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Threads like these make me want to go through and find every game deal in Tanga and post a thread for each one.
Kind of like hearing the level 20 scolders sling "passive-aggressive" around makes me want to wring a few necks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
There is a problem. It takes virtually no effort to try and mitigate the problem, i.e. pinning this thread to the forum. That won't completely solve the problem, but could make it better.

Whether it's a "problem" or not is entirely subjective as evidenced with this earlier post:

jacob4408 wrote:

Months? This week was the first time I'd seen it. Maybe if there were more posts and people weren't harassed for posting deals then I would have known months ago.

I respectfully must disagree with your position and, personally, will keep sharing information that I think may be of use to someone.

So what some view as a problem, others view as a solution. (finding out about a deal they wouldn't have otherwise… even if it has been posted at some point earlier)

Not everyone subscribes to this forum or checks it obsessively. It's only a "problem" for those that don't have enough impulse control to ignore deals that they already know about.

Sure, it makes sense to send a friendly and encouraging pm suggesting a member scan the first page of the forum before posting a deal if they just added a new thread two posts above another one.

That said, expecting every user to even be aware of the Ye Olde Tanga thread let alone check it before posting is ridiculous given that it's not in the "What is a Hot Deal" sticky, and it's not a sticky itself (though it probably should be).

Meanwhile, posting a brand new thread which is not a deal itself to "help" this "problem" is no less annoying to those that don't see it as one as a repeat post is to those that do. It also IS a violation of the forum guidelines where a second posting is not.

The mods and admin have said repeatedly if you don't like a post or think it's a violation use the red x and let them do their jobs.

Can some veterans do a better job posting deals than sincere but inexperienced newcomers? Of course. Same goes for the actual mods and admin here doing a better job of keeping things running smoothly than self appointed forum bullies who want to push their own ideals of what is and isn't appropriate.

Think you've got a better grasp of what this forum should be than they do? Have an improvement you think should be made? That's what the BGG Suggestion Forum is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look.

No sarcasm or passive aggression was intended in my original post. The two examples I mentioned were not meant to call anybody out, although I can see how they might come across that way, and for that I apologize. I certainly wasn't going to flag those threads as inappropriate.

No, extraneous Tanga threads are not a major issue. But they are common enough that I thought it might be handy to have a thread that people might notice when they go to post in Hot Deals. That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
No sarcasm or passive aggression was intended in my original post.

See? I told you! Now, what do I win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
I thought it might be handy to have a thread that people might notice when they go to post in Hot Deals. That's all.

Except that this post will fall of the first page within a few days and never be seen again.

It's clear your intentions were good, and I for one didn't think it was excessively snarky.

That said, if you really feel this is something needing improvement a more effective approach is to post a BGG Suggestion Forum thread to have an edit made to "What is a Hot Deal" by Octavian, and perhaps lobby to have the Ye Olde Tanga thread pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Tanga combine shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

Now that's funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

No. They're just posting deals on behalf of publishers/distributors so the games are drop shipped from different locations.

That said, a good number of the games allow you to buy multiple copies of the same title for the single shipping charge. Which ones, and how many is covered title by title in tumorous' Ye Olde Tanga Board Game Liste

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed that joke like a damaged fighter hitting the side of an aircraft carrier.

NuMystic wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

No. They're just posting deals on behalf of publishers/distributors so the games are drop shipped from different locations.

That said, a good number of the games allow you to buy multiple copies of the same title for the single shipping charge. Which ones, and how many is covered title by title in tumorous' Ye Olde Tanga Board Game Liste

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
You missed that joke like a damaged fighter hitting the side of an aircraft carrier.

NuMystic wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

That really depends on whether the fighter and the carrier are on the same side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Except that this post will fall of the first page within a few days and never be seen again.

This is how I maintain my air of mystery and intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

blush

DJ Kuul A wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

This is how I maintain my air of mystery and intrigue.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is not a Hot Deal. It has been locked.

Please leave moderating the forums to the moderators. If you see something that you don't think belongs in Hot Deals, flag it as Wrong Forum. If the moderators agree, it will be moved. If not, it won't. Either way, after flagging it it is best to ignore it and move on.

Thanks!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |