Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1-Which kind of ships can bombard? All with attack capacity?

2-The only purpose of bombard a colony is to reduce the colony until its destruction? If this happens and the colony is destroyed, if there were ground forces, could remain intact, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombarding can be done not to destroy the colony, but to reduce the number of militias on it so it's easier to invade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Bombarding can be done not to destroy the colony, but to reduce the number of militias on it so it's easier to invade.

I have not seen this anywhere in the rules.
The rules says that Ground Forces contributes at defence strength of the colony, and the bombarding is used to reduce the colony (I suppose CP level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, all ships with attack capacity can bombard unless otherwise stated in the scenario rules (though I don't think there are any scenarios like that so far). The exception is the titan: Instead of bombarding, it will destroy the entire planet and replace it with an asteroid field. This destroys the colony for fairly obvious reasons.

2)
deedob wrote:

This is slightly confusingly worded. If you bombard a colony each hit will reduce its value. You get a number of milita units equal to the value. So yes, bombarding reduces militia, but only because you reduce the colonies value. There is no way to reduce militia strength without reducing the colony!
Also note that you can stop bombarding at any time. You don't have to shoot with all your ships.

Ground units themselves may not be placed on an uncolonized planet and are destroyed if the colony they are on is destroyed. (Rule 14.2, Page 7)
Non-militia ground units contribute to the defence of the colony against bombardment just like defence tech works for ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

This is slightly confusingly worded. If you bombard a colony each hit will reduce its value. You get a number of milita units equal to the value. So yes, bombarding reduces militia, but only because you reduce the colonies value. There is no way to reduce militia strength without reducing the colony!
Also note that you can stop bombarding at any time. You don't have to shoot with all your ships.

That's why I asked what happens with colony If you attack it and it goes below 1 CP level...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
If a colony is reduced below the 1 CP level it is eliminated along with all of the ground forces on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martenis
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Non-militia ground units contribute to the defence of the colony against bombardment just like defence tech works for ships.

So here's a question: Can a minesweeper (attack 1) bombard a colony with a couple of ground troops (providing defense 1)? If it was an attack on a ship, the sweeper always has a chance to hit on a roll of 1. It's not clear to me whether that applies to bombardment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they would always hit on a 1. You are right that it is not explicitly stated. I will put it on a list of things to update.

I don't think I have ever bombarded with minesweepers....There is not much in this game I have not done, but I can see how it would happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.