Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have notice that some boardgame get a second version (Pandemic, Descent, A Game of throne, etc).
What do you think of that ?
When you already own a game and a second version came out, do you buy it or you still play with the older version ?

I'm mainly gaming with my girlfriend and some of my friends that are not that much into boardgame, they are happy when I make a game night at my place, but none of them is buying game.
So having a newer version of a game will not change anything for them, as long as we play and we're having fun.

But for me, knowing there's updated rules, art and stuff like that make me want to buy them, but also, I already own 1 version, so I prefer to keep my money to buy new game instead of a new version of a game.

So how do you feel about that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fine with it. I have never purchased one, but i think its cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what gets changed but usually if I'm willing to buy the older edition it is enough for me as is. In the case of Pandemic, two new roles isn't worth the cost to get the game and expansion for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to be the normal way of things. Some of the more classic games are around decades, of course they need a new look sometimes. I'm not sure if they need to change the design after only a few years already, but I don't really care, and certainly don't feel compelled to buy again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it is the other way around. And you want the older version because they screwed something up with the new version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy

California
msg tools
MetalHead84 wrote:
Lately I have notice that some boardgame get a second version (Pandemic, Descent, A Game of throne, etc).
When you already own a game and a second version came out, do you buy it or you still play with the older version ?

I'm mainly gaming with my girlfriend and some of my friends that are not that much into boardgame, they are happy when I make a game night at my place, but none of them is buying game.
So having a newer version of a game will not change anything for them, as long as we play and we're having fun.

But for me, knowing there's updated rules, art and stuff like that make me want to buy them, but also, I already own 1 version, so I prefer to keep my money to buy new game instead of a new version of a game.

Hello pascal,A new game will bring more pleasure than a second version.Forgive me for asking,how much is the second version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I already own a game I will rarely buy an updated version unless the game is genuinely different. But I will download new rule sets to try with the older version of the game.

But if I don't own a version of the game I will usually check out both versions to determine which one I will buy. Price and availability usually play a big part in the version I'll buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Wu wrote:
MetalHead84 wrote:

Hello pascal,A new game will bring more pleasure than a second version.Forgive me for asking,how much is the second version?

Well it probably depends of the game, I think usually the second version will be around the price of the first one when it first came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
If I already own a game I will rarely buy an updated version unless the game is genuinely different. But I will download new rule sets to try with the older version of the game.

But if I don't own a version of the game I will usually check out both versions to determine which one I will buy. Price and availability usually play a big part in the version I'll buy.

Good idea, might try that to download the newer rules and try it with the old version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Garza
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
How long til Gen Con?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would depend on the upgrade. For example, with Betrayal At House Of The Hill the first edition scenarios were flawed and unbalanced. So I could see perhaps picking up a new version of a game if there was a situation like that. But if the components were basically the same but there was a way to get the updated PDF of the rules I would probably stick with the first one I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy

California
msg tools
hey folks:
Do you hear about the WinGo manufacture?What aout the quality of the boardgame that produced by WinGO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of those are great examples of differing types of remakes. Descent 2nd Edition is a drastic overhaul of a game, whereas Pandemic is a cosmetic face lift.

I don't feel like I need to buy the new version of Pandemic because it provides very little new to the base game. I think it is great that they are slapping a new coat of paint on it, however, because game stores will restock their shelves with it and an excellent game will then sell more copies. I won't buy a new copy, though.

Descent is worthy of a repurchase. The changes are drastic enough to warrant this. The game is streamlined, making it substantially easier for new players. The campaign mode is better than ever. It is an all around better package. This doesn't mean you have to buy the new copy, but it gives you more incentive.

I will not buy a new copy of Pandemic since I own the old one. Additionally, if I was going to pick up a copy of it for the first time, I would find the cheapest deal, whether it is the original or the new, because they play identically. That said, I picked up the remake of Descent, and if I was just now going to buy it for the first time, I would obviously choose the newer version.

I think remakes/reprints are fine in both cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rarely buy a new edition of a game, just for the sake of having new artwork or a minor component upgrade.

However, if I did, I could always trade my older edition, and still get something new out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Settlers of Catan... still playing an old version. Which means the upcoming expansion will not match, which means I will not buy it.

Can't just buy a new version whenever it comes out, the old verson plays just fine.

Like mentioned before, I will look over the rules for changes that make gameplay better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say if it is a game that you play regularly, go ahead and get the updated version. If you don't play it regularly, then just keep the one you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on your situation.

I'm sure many of us have heard of a video game series called Street Fighter. Well with Street Fighter 2, there was a whole nest of versions of that game. You have the original, champion edition, turbo, hyper, etc. I have 3 versions of Street Fighter 4 and I don't really regret buying all 4. By buying the game earlier, I was able to play the series much earlier which allowed me to appreciate the changes and additions they have made in the later entries.

I currently own Puzzle Strike 3rd Edition and it's a really great game. It IS the third edition, meaning there has been 2 versions previously. Even if I had an earlier edition, I wouldn't HAVE to upgrade. I play games with casual people and these people don't really play one game enough to really notice any changes that have been made or need to be made. With Street Fighter, I am playing with hardcore people so that every detail of the game is noticeable. When I'm playing Puzzle Fighter, it's mostly with new people, so that they don't notice what's strong or weak with just a few games played.

It really depends on your situation really.

If you have a game and you can find the right people who are willing to play that one game again and again, it is totally worth it to upgrade, so that you can get the best experience. With new players, I find the necessity to upgrade non-existent as they don't have a history to really appreciate the changes.

And if you do buy a new version of a game, your old version is not useless; you can give it away, lend it to people, have 2 games played at the same time, use it as your wear-and-tear copy, etc. I find people that get frustrated when new versions come out are mostly angry because of their own habit of keeping up with the latest and greatest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.