A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy which is very exciting and I'm keen to get started and all that stands between me and joy is putting the stickers on the blocks. Is there a particularly technique to putting them on? Any pitfalls? I know about using the rulebook to avoid using the extra stickers but is there a particular way on lining up the stickers that I should know?

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used patience, a steady hand and tweezers. Usually I put one corner down checked alignment then moved out wards from there. The biggest thing for me however was the tweezers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tweezers help tremendously. But, the main thing is to read the instructions in the rulebook and do it exactly as it says. I also sorted and counted all my blocks before I started stickering. Just take your time and follow the procedure. You'll be rewarded with an excellent and fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you want to read a lot more, then drill down through the past collections. This question is asked and answered multiple times, although there really is not a lot more than can be said other than what has been posted in this one.

The two key points are:

1. Follow the directions-- do not go by the stickers you find, but mount only what the rules say-- if it's "4 units, 16 blocks, of medium infantry," then do 16 blocks of medium infantry and no more.
There are more stickers than you need for any given collection of units and if you put all of them on, you will run out of blocks before you finish all the units. If you follow directions, you may have enough blocks and stickers to do some extra things-- but wait til completion to consider.

2. When the stickers go on lightly, you can peel off and reposition. Once you press down, they are very well 'stuck' and it takes a lot of effort (and mars the sticker) to pull them off and reposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Price
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Reroll!
badge
C'mon roll allready!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a paper clip.i just pulled the paper lip apart at the end. Then I stuck the sticker to it, and lined it up on the block, pressed it on with my thumb, and pulled the paper lip out.It went very fast , and my game looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing. This may seem trivial but make sure that both sides of the block have the sticker oriented the same way.

Also, the black blocks have a sticker placed only on one side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
After stickering a few now, I have a few fresh bits of advice that might be useful to someone in future.

1. Put the bricks on a contrasting background (black for the grey tiles, white for the brown) and have plenty of light
2. Yes, tweezers are a must if you want to put them on nicely
3. If you want to centre them on the tile, there's roughly a half millimeter around all sides (which is why you'll need to follow points 1 & 2)

Okay, this post was an excuse to take a break so back to the bricks I go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
And if you want to read a lot more, then drill down through the past collections. This question is asked and answered multiple times, although there really is not a lot more than can be said other than what has been posted in this one.

The two key points are:

1. Follow the directions-- do not go by the stickers you find, but mount only what the rules say-- if it's "4 units, 16 blocks, of medium infantry," then do 16 blocks of medium infantry and no more.
There are more stickers than you need for any given collection of units and if you put all of them on, you will run out of blocks before you finish all the units. If you follow directions, you may have enough blocks and stickers to do some extra things-- but wait til completion to consider.

2. When the stickers go on lightly, you can peel off and reposition. Once you press down, they are very well 'stuck' and it takes a lot of effort (and mars the sticker) to pull them off and reposition.

kduke is 100% right. If you starts to pay too much attention of how far the boots of your soldiers are from the side of a block, you will starting loosing your line formation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Clear an afternoon and be not in a hurry to finish, and
2) Use tweezers and go slow until you get the hang of it, and
3) Put on a mindless movie in the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is very tedious and time consuming, as long as you are not a perfectionist regarding alignment then its very easy, even using just your fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a sense of achievement to finally finish.

Another thing I'd say is since there are extras of most of the cubes is to save the less square ones for the end as they may not even be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you do any more for expansions then I recommend downloading lots of gaming podcasts in itunes. It helps make the whole process less of a chore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did core set plus expansions pre-Spartans while watching an Ashes Test - just enough time in between most deliveries to position a sticker whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For appyling the stickers, I do all mine by hand and eye coordination.

I put the corner of the sticker into one corner of the block. Once satisfied of placement and margin, I lightly smooth an edge into an adjacent corner.

Once you have two corners down, you know the margin of three sides. If they are equal, you can lightly smooth the rest of the sticker down on the block to secure it. If not, it's easy to lift it off the block or make a small adjustment to try again.

Once lightly down, you can still sometimes shift the sticker around the block a bit by applying thumb pressure towards one side or another. Either way, one more firm pass of the thumb and the sticker is down for good.

It's a lot faster than it sounds once you get the hang of it. And the results look great. Separate the blocks, take your time, make sure the stickers go on right-side-up if you do both sides.

I like to play with blocks flat, so only one side needs to be stickered with art. On the reverse, I apply a colored dot to help distinguish the type of unit it belongs to when fishing for particular blocks.

One thing I've wanted to try with the blocks-flat approach is to apply different sticker art to the backs. Just like the terrain tiles, you'd then have a little more flexibility as to what and how many units of each type you can field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the orientation of the block's wood grain too as this can give a different shade when viewed from above. This is more noticable in the C&C:N blocks, but just check beefore applying the sticker.

Also, paint the Spartan blocks Gold before sticking to help distinguish them from the Persians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Otto
United States
kinnelon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find an x-acto knife or razor knife works best...i just catch the corner of the sticker with the tip of the blade and then lay it on the block,square it up and press it down to set it.If you do it right you can see the whole sticker overlaid on the block prior to setting it and they come out perfect.
I also count out the required number of blocks for each group of units so i don't have to try and keep track of how many more i need,when the pile is gone you are done with that group....easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Have a TV near to listen to your favorite show.
2)Grab a few beers.
3)Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.