Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the googles it wasn't working. So I turn to the experts on everything... chitchat.

I always found Rugby intreaguing, even though I never got to watch a single match.

Three years back I got to see my first matches thanks to BBC America. They were broadcasting a handful from the 6 Nations tourney, I got instantly hooked. Since I'm mostly Scottish and love the under dog I was cheering for Scotland.

Last year I got a friend hooked too, when the 2012 6 Nations was on BBC America again. I kept cheering for Scotland, but the broadcast coverage was awful for them. We got to watch Wales play a bunch and both of us liked their style and found ourselves cheering them on.

We both were disapointed with the lack of coverage on TV for the whole tournament. We did some research and got some equipment. This year (CAN'T FREAKING WAIT) were going to use a laptop hooked up to my TV and buy access to stream all the matches!

Sorry for all the back story... here is my point and question...

In the US we have seasons of sport. Baseball, football, hockey etc... they all play during a season to get to the playoffs and then the final game. There are different divisions but they all play for the same goal. This is easy to understand and wrap my head around.

Rugby has so many levels of play, tournaments, leagues, and seasons at national and international levels. How do I follow it? I cannot find an easy answer to this. What do I do, pick a national team and just try to follow what tourney they are in? What if I want to follow the Rugby Union and not League?

Can someone please explain the system? or point me to someone who can?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
setanta if you can get it

or...i use some link aggregate sites to find pop-up laden soccer streams...usually my only choice....my GolTV just got booted by comcast and now my Bundesliga source is all LaLiga games. id rather support Ebola Virus FC than watch ManU or any godforsaken LaLiga team

first row is a good first step. youll learn more by watching regularly than by reading. comentators will take care of all that for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found http://www.planetrugby.com/

This seams to have some good, easy to understand info about the different tournamants. I would like to know if someone (an "expert") could check it out for me an let me know if it is all inclusive.

It would be awsome to have something in a calander format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all there are three kinds of rugby.

1) Union - the 15 man a side game. This is what you are familiar with from the 6 Nations
2) Sevens - a 7 man a side game. Can be very fast. It is now an Olympic sport.
3) League - the 13 man a side game.

They are all somewhat different. In League you have 6 tackles to score, and if you don't the ball is turned over to your opposition at the point of the final tackle, infringement, or ball leaving play.

You will have seen some Six Nations. One thing to note is that some games also have their own trophy - for example the England / Scotland fixture is the Calcutta Cup. There is also a Six Nations B for the smaller teams.

There will be various international fixtures and tours by the major teams. Also every so often The British and Irish Lions will tour - this is a mix of players from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland formed for a single tour. The players can still play for their home nations and club teams.

At club level you have The Heineken Cup. This is a pan-European competition for those in the top leagues (which I will get to later). There is a secondary European cup competition called the European Challenge Cup (or Amlin Challenge Cup). Then you have the domestic leagues.

In England you have The Aviva Premiership which consists of 12 teams.
In France you have the Top14 league for the their top teams. The Pro12 (12 teams how did you guess) covers a variety of teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy (it used to be called the Celtic League). There are 2 Scottish teams in the Pro12. There are various lower level leagues - in England the RFU Championship (and there is a chance for promotion up to the Premiership) and further down the ladder you have National League 1 etc. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_rugby_union_system

I would think that the only things likely to be televised are the internationals, the Heineken Cup, and the three big professional leagues.

I cannot help you with Australian / NZ / South African domestic rugby.

The other big Rugby tradition is The Barbarians (or baa-baas). This is an invitational side made up of mainly players who play for home-nation teams (although sometimes players from European teams are invited). They have a few traditional fixtures, and they also play international sides (both home nation and others). This year they will also play the Lions which is going to be interesting. One of the traditions of the Barbarians is that although they have a team shirt, the players wear the socks of your regular team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
NBC (iirc) and Universal Sports has been showing the Rugby 7s, so with the US based part of the annual 7s tour taking place in Las Vegas from Feb 8th to 10th look out for this on the telly.

BBC America has shown some of the 6 Nations in the past, not sure what they are doing this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mb
"I need Rugby help"...... So do the Aussies :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Petersen
United States
Victoria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in SA/NZ/Aussie rugby, "KostazHD" on YouTube puts up the full matches within a day after completion off the match, not to mention national games as well. It's pretty nice considering trying to catch a live match can be hard if you don't have the right cable channels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
New Zealand has the All Blacks at international level (who just beat France 3-0 ay home), plus the World Cup winning Sevens Team and Sevens Championship winning team. The All Blacks are also World Cup holders.

Below the top level, professional "franchise" teams in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa play in a competition called the Rugby Championship (formerly the Super 12 14 15 Competition. Following European models, there was a mid-season break in this competition for the Oz v Lions and NZ v France games.

New Zealnd also has a semi-professional domestic provincial competition, plus local club teams. Following the American football model, top kid's teams (school, rather than University) are now also being televised. The major NZ pay TV supplier has a dedicated Rugby Channel, which shows how seriously they take it here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.