Subject: Win a FREE 3 month Netrunner LCG Data Pack Subscription rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Bunn
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How would you like to have the next 3 Netrunner LCG Data Packs delivered straight to your door, free of charge? We just announced our latest blog contest over at Team Covenant and the winner is going to get the next 3 data packs for free! You can get all the info about the contest here:

http://teamcovenant.com/blog/2013/01/25/netrunner-lcg-blog-c...

Good luck!

Zach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go

http://teamcovenant.com/iirionclaus/2013/01/25/the-top-3-bes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Seretis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm, I'm going to take a shot at this.
Free Data Packs are great.And if not, well hey, I wrote a blog post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running the contest, Zack!

Here is my entry:
An Intro to Netrunner, Through Fire and Blood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:

Here is my entry:

Note that you need to reply to their original post to enter the competition.

Wait, just occurred to me that we're competing with each other!! Ignore the above. Nothing to see here, move along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
IirionClaus wrote:

Crypsis...starting off with the controvery.

I would really like three data packs, but I just can't handle the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Seretis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
IirionClaus wrote:
CrimsonWraith wrote:

Here is my entry:

Wait, just occurred to me that we're competing with each other!! Ignore the above. Nothing to see here, move along

Oh, I see. Apologies for interrupting you, Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:

I posted there prior to posting here, just hasn't shown up on that page yet.

If it comes down to whomever's article has the most hits, you might have won the competition already by posting your entry in the Strategy forums here. Not sure how to combat that method... if I post a reply with a link to my article in your own thread, well, that wouldn't be cool, stealing thunder from your own entry in your own post.

Of course, if I post my own thread in the Strategy forum, we'll be inviting EVERY person who participates to flood the forum with their own entries, and even I would not want to wade through that mess. Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
Of course, if I post my own thread in the Strategy forum, we'll be inviting EVERY person who participates to flood the forum with their own entries, and even I would not want to wade through that mess. Hmmm...

I actually hope that's going to happen. People are spending time and effort on their posts and they deserve to be heard. As long as they state upfront that it's for the competition, I wouldn't mind seeing three dozens of these on the strategy forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Seretis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

I posted there prior to posting here, just hasn't shown up on that page yet.

If it comes down to whomever's article has the most hits, you might have won the competition already by posting your entry in the Strategy forums here. Not sure how to combat that method... if I post a reply with a link to my article in your own thread, well, that wouldn't be cool, stealing thunder from your own entry in your own post.

According to their site,

Quote:
We will pick the winner based on our popularity algorithm that determines featured posts and will also take note of any blog that is particularly good or that went over the top!

So this might just be a bit of jargon to say we will pick one of the most voted ones, but hey, who knows right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my picks. I can see arguments, for all sorts of cards, but no Priority Requisition? Come on, maaaaaan!

http://teamcovenant.com/shobalk/2013/01/25/android-netrunner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sincerely hope that we are not glutted with tons of strategy articles pointing OFF SITE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
byronczimmer wrote:
I sincerely hope that we are not glutted with tons of strategy articles pointing OFF SITE.

Why? Great to see people promoting other Netrunner sites IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created one! But how do I create a login/pw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my blog post, but I couldn't get it onto your site.

http://offline-gaming.triberrvip.com/2013/01/25/android-netr...

... My layout needs alot of work - I appreciate your grace and patience; skip to the content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray C
Canada
Vancouver
British Colombia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's mine: http://teamcovenant.com/mrscarymuffin/2013/01/25/muffins-pic...

How do I get rid of the phoenix/spade symbols at the top?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Other sites fragment the community, and using the bandwidth of one to advertise another is deplorable at best.

Further, the designation of the target site is blocked for many.

If the contest wasn't approved by the BGG admins that's a further issue.

I get that TC is trying to push eyeballs to their site, but if they make one iota of advertising revenue based on that push, I want no part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

While I understand the concern, it is tough for up and coming sites to get recognition without some cross posting. So I certainly won't begrudge some of it. Hell, I crosspost weekly here, so I certainly have no room to complain.

The ideal would be to have a single thread for the competition, really.

Edit: I... want to say I disagree with the above (re: splitting the community, etc). Additional locations to discuss the game, especially locations with more content (see: actual articles) are quite good.

Moreso good is if the people doing it can get the notice/recognition required to continue putting out high quality content, since, well, without that, it is very easy to fall off and stop producing content.

Hell, I want to say that one of my biggest gripes about looking into the other LCGs (and other games in general) is that one forum just doesn't look like that much of a community. Even if the forum is active, the game feels kinda... well... dead without more attention.

But again, I'm biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There *is* a single thread - this one.

Yet we've already had multiple spills out of that thread, linking back to their TC blogs in an attempt to drive up hits in order to win from people who, quite honestly, know better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S'fair enough.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of multiple crossposts (it is why I very specifically keep my own limited to one thread that I update weekly, with a very rare exception where a question has been relevant to an entry and I responded to them with a link) either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG and FFG forums don't meet the markets demand. Too many posts about too many broad topics... see how this thread is muddled?

TC offers a more concise, pointed and intentional forum for discussion. We should not stifle this type of content, it meets an unmet need. Those following TC agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
BGG: Adequately specific forums? Check. Thoughtful posters? Check. Blogs for more focused discussion? Check. A chance at a modest prize in exchange for traffic and content?

Oh. I get it now. Okay.

Edit: in case it's not clear, this is a direct response to the immediately above poster, not Andrew who seems civil enough, nor the contest's organizers, who I disagree with but who haven't done anything to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
BGG: Adequately specific forums? Check. Thoughtful posters? Check. Blogs for more focused discussion? Check. A chance at a modest prize in exchange for traffic and content?

Oh. I get it now. Okay.

Edit: in case it's not clear, this is a direct response to the immediately above poster, not Andrew who seems civil enough, nor the contest's organizers, who I disagree with but who haven't done anything to me.

I owe it to you for challenging my post, and agree with your implied distaste for my comments. I wrote in haste as I walked from office to car (90 seconds).

A more precise reason why TC (and others) should not be stifled from creating offsite content is that BGG has become too big and searching for specific information is cumbersome. Many folks who use Google prefer to find an answer to a question on a single web page than scoring through a forum. Also, many threads (like this one) spin off topic too easily. Forums create dialogue; web pages tend to restrict (or minimize) dialogue in exchange for more focus on the pages content. This also leads to one additional reason why offsite content will always have a niche; its that a web page wants to attract (often) an even smaller niche than the forums. This might be there friends, a game group or a very specific type of gamer. This actually ties into all the reasons I've mentioned previously.

BGG and other forums simply allow everyone to post. And that's great! It will hold that place for years to come, I've even supported BGG financially to ensure this resource that I love and value remains. But! I don't think its proper to stifle off site plugs or links especially when that content meets a need not offered by BGG.

Which leads me to an idea I've had; could the loyal followers of each game wiki a single review from all the reviews? How a FAQ? A file resource? ... etc as it know, its up to individuals to create these 'better' streamlined content. However doing so creates a # of drawbacks and is why the loyal followers need to create one. See if individuals make it, it adds yet another post to an often already flooded thread. In addition its newer and won't receive the thumbs up' necessary to be oft read except by the OP or randomly.

BGG offers tons of content! But the modern day search user wants one concise answer - and have it take less than 2 min to digest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
I'm all for greater coherency than a general (or strategy) forum. I'm all for niches too, and meeting unmet needs. TC just isn't doing any of that. Their niche is people who play games. Their format is the roughly same as BGG's.

The issue, I believe, isn't in the format or the location, it's the people. Hollis writes what is probably the only good, advanced Netrunner periodic resource, and that blog resides on BGG. Several others have written high level, introductory, or superficial material. There's more than enough of that now. There are plenty of other smart people doing interesting stuff and writing interesting things, but none of them have created their own blog. Once we have enough signal in existence, then I'd say it's time to start worrying about signal-to-noise and streamlining things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Other sites fragment the community, and using the bandwidth of one to advertise another is deplorable at best.

Further, the designation of the target site is blocked for many.

If the contest wasn't approved by the BGG admins that's a further issue.

I get that TC is trying to push eyeballs to their site, but if they make one iota of advertising revenue based on that push, I want no part of it.

Meh, it's the internet. Clicks are cheap and the bandwidth is being paid by TC anyway. BGG admins don't have to approve anything really, it would be pretty silly to expect permission to do the most natural thing on the internet: post links.

I mean, yes, it's obvious this is a attempt to generate interest and talk about A:NR on their site, but those articles wouldn't have been written without the reward anyway. It looks like an overall win-win situation to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.