Sean L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had played with the Slave I and 3 academy pilots in a 100 point game against only wave 1 ships and it dominated.

Now I was thinking about only buying:

1x falcon
1x slave 1
2x A wing
2x Tie interceptor

Now as I stated I've been up since 2:30PST so I've had a lot (of caffein) and time to think. Since there's an upgrade card that makes the falcon, well, the falcon and a unique ship has anyone tested flying 2x falcons with 1 being:

1: Millennium falcon
1: Yt1300 with a basic pilot?

I mean if you can balance 100pts between them, they have the combined shields to be a power house with a 360 firing arch.

Anyway, my thoughts on this is it almost forces people to buy wave 2. If I want to be a jerk, and I see someone only has wave 1... I can drop 2x falcons and the game might be over real quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One very tempting 'all Falcon' squad would be to run Han (in the Falcon) and Lando, and use Lando to give Han bonuses actions. You can throw 8 points more of upgrades on 'em, even.

I'm not sure it would auto-win against Wave 1 builds, though. It's important to remember that as impressive and long-lasting as the big ships look, they are outputting damage much slower than most squads because two YT-1300s are only making two attacks per turn -- that's half the attacking power of the standard four-ship Rebel squad.

We tested this one with proxies and my preferred 4-Ship Wave 1 Rebel build took it out pretty handily. We didn't test it against any version of TIE squads, but I think the same principle would apply: the two YT-1300s would be doing quite well if they manage to kill a TIE a turn, but they'll be soaking up damage quickly with such low Agility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess then it would be up to the luck of the dice. Unless you get yourself to be in a constant state of being positioned behind your enemy at all times, even when firing behind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
For 100 points you could fly:

Lando (44) + Millenium Falcon (1) + Elusiveness (2) + Homing Missile (5) + Gunner (5) + Nien Nunb (1) + Engine Upgrade (4) = 68 62

Outer Rim Smuggler (27) + Gunner (5) + Mercenary Co-Pilot (2) + Engine Upgrade (4) = 38

The key would be using the boost ability to avoid the enemies firing arcs. Not sure how well it will work though since you only get two shots a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Sandico
Philippines
Pasig City
NCR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
For 100 points you could fly:

Lando (44) + Millenium Falcon (1) + Elusiveness (2) + Homing Missile (5) + Gunner (5) + Nien Nunb (1) + Engine Upgrade (4) = 68

Outer Rim Smuggler (27) + Gunner (5) + Mercenary Co-Pilot (2) + Engine Upgrade (4) = 38

The key would be using the boost ability to avoid the enemies firing arcs. Not sure how well it will work though since you only get two shots a turn.

That's 106 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
No it's 100 points I just typed the wrong amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But would't just running two Falcons be pretty... well.... boring? I mean, a big part of the fun of X-Wing is to outmaneuver your opponent and line up that killing shot, while staying outside of their firing arcs.

With 2 Falcons utlizing the 360 firing arcs, I think you'll be minimizig the fun this game brings to the table. Plus, with their shear size, your movement options will be pretty limited if any asteroids or "swarms" are in your way.

Adding 1 Falcon or Slave 1 to the board? Awesomeness embodied! But only 2 of each? Meh.

My buy list for wave 2:

1 Falcon
1 Slave 1
2 A-wings
2 Tie Interceptors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Loos
United States
Chicagoland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I've been contemplating very seriously the cheap YT-1300 with a gunner.

It'd be about 10 points more expensive than a Y-wing with Ion, 32-35 pts depending on the gunner.

2-dice + reattack seems not bad for the price, though I'm not certain on the math.

But if my gut feeling plays out, I could find a reason to field a pair of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now I need to buy 2 of these things? Damn you FFG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'm torn now. I think the only reason I'd buy more than one falcon would be to let someone else use one - in the hopes I can play my 4 player 250 points per side game devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't know about two Falcons (and ditto the Slave I). There are some mildly attractive squads, but I think with such an expensive centerpiece you really want to bolt on some cheap extra guns: either they function as extra armor for the YT, or if your opponent focuses on the tank, as a substantial source of extra offense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
2?? why not 3! ;-)

Chewbacca + Falcon title + Draw their Fire + Nien Numb (45 pts)

Outer Rim Smuggler (27 pts)

Outer Rim Smuggler (27 pts)

You can actually do any of the named YT1300 pilots + 2 Smugglers just with less upgrades. Now go out and choke up those flight lanes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solodan wrote:
I've been contemplating very seriously the cheap YT-1300 with a gunner.

It'd be about 10 points more expensive than a Y-wing with Ion, 32-35 pts depending on the gunner.

2-dice + reattack seems not bad for the price, though I'm not certain on the math.

But if my gut feeling plays out, I could find a reason to field a pair of these.

I'm wary of anything that costs 1/3 of the squad and does, at best, 2 (Range 2-3) or 3 (Range 1) hits a turn, assuming a perfect attack roll vs. a no-arrows defense roll.

I have really struggled to see the value of the Outer Rim Smuggler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder, in a build like this, would one want to focus on making every shot count (marksmanship, gunners) or on surviving the swarms (Chewie, determination)?

I'd probably build toward the former, personally, since with the odds stacked in your favor enough you could probably manage at least a kill per round... Which sounds like enough. I'm not sure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
space monkey mafia wrote:
2?? why not 3! ;-)

That may be the greatest X-Wing squad I have ever seen. My brain can't stop searching for a means (financially) to make it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Outer Rim Smuggler >= Gold Squad + Ions, in most applications. 4 points buys you the ability to deal multiple hits and critical hits, plus improved blocking ability, plus it's a hell of a damage sponge. No ion tokens, but you can't have everything.

I would like them even better if they could mount missiles.

Basically, the ORS is half again as tough as the Y-wing, better at blocking, and hits a little harder. I think it's got some potential as part of a 3X/1YT squadron, unlike any of the named pilots.

I'm thinking (and this might be the Imperial Stout talking, so I reserve the right to repudiate this once I've come to my senses):
* Garven Dreis + R2 Astromech
* Outer Rim Smuggler + Weapons Engineer + Millennium Falcon
* 2x Rookie Pilot

You have a bit of action economy, a bit of 360 goodness, and a lot of old-fashioned, Wave-1-style X-wing firepower. I wouldn't stake my reputation on it, but I'd be willing to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton Lipscomb
msg tools
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Basically, the ORS is half again as tough as the Y-wing, better at blocking, and hits a little harder.

Interestingly, the ORS vs the "named" YT-1300 pilots have different shield (4 vs 5) and hull (6 vs 8) values and weapon values (2 vs 3). So, you're looking at 10 points on the ORS (not 12) vs a Y-Wing with 8, with both having only 2 attack dice.

Vorpal Sword wrote:
Outer Rim Smuggler + Weapons Engineer + Millennium Falcon

The ORS also can't take the Falcon upgrade to get the evade action.

While the multiple YT-1300 strategy is interesting, using the ORS to get them cheap comes at a cost. Two attack dice does suck, though. But, with a gunner or Luke, maybe it'd work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
The smuggler can take the Millennium Falcon title. The only restriction on the card is the ship must be a YT-1300 which is the type of ship the smuggler is flying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.