gehazi mann
msg tools
Has anyone ever tried to adapt the game to a large gathering/party setting? Seems like with the right expectations/style of group it could be a big hit even with non-gamers, since the very concepts of Consulting Detective are at cross-purposes to most of the other "games" we play.

I imagine that it could work decently well with groups of 3 or 4, gathered together to hear the start-text, a dedicated table for each group to analyze collectively around. You'd need a main moderator, photocopied newspapers/directories, and a handful of other moderators for sections of the city, to read paragraphs as required. Rather than turn-based between groups, play would be simultaneous, with each group effectively playing their own cooperative game, racing against sheer time and the other groups. The game could end after a certain amount of time (an hour?), the questions read and answered on paper, then scores calculated by the moderator.

This seems like it could work well, has anyone ever tried a similar approach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a child, I once went to a 'murder in the park' event.

When you entered the park there was a sign in station where you learned the basic mystery and were 'deputized'. Actors were then at various stations throughout the park. You could go there and witness their (canned) speech which happened every 5 minutes or so, and could ask some questions of the actors (but they were under no obligation to answer off script, meaning there were things they would answer with canned responses, but the killer would not answer "Are you the killer" in the affirmative).

After you walked around the park you went back to the deputy station and answered a small questionnaire, which was the three Ms (Means, Motive, Method) and some other questions - very similar to the quiz at the end of a SHCD story.

At event wrap, the 'real' detective showed up and did a big 'Here's what happened' reveal.

So yes - it's possible to use the concepts to make a party game of it with a few key actors playing the roles of the interviewees.

As to breaking this up into teams as you describe - it seems like the same idea, only each GM type person is in charge of a sector or portion of a sector.

Writing your own in the manner I described above would make it more interesting in my mind and could probably be run with a local theater troupe or LARPing group without much issue.

-=-=-

See also this kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lopakhin/et-tu-the-murde...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea. I would just be sure that the guests would be up for that sort fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
At event wrap, the 'real' detective showed up and did a big 'Here's what happened' reveal

Stuff like this always makes me think of the Clue movie. I didn't see it at a theater, only on video, so I got all the endings.

I love farce.

However, having not played the game, I can't say if it would work or not, but the game itself sounds fun and I hope to play when a local gets his copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a little more meaty/involved than your average single paragraph murder mystery.

I feel like a large group would get distracted.

If it's a group of gamers they could probably do it.
I think 3 players is a good number. They each have their voice heard and there are people to collaborate with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans A
msg tools
mb
I've played this several times with 6 or 7 players and it works fine. The only issue we had was getting people to agree on where to go next.

You either have to go with majority decisions about going to locations, or, work off the suggested rule that the decision goes to the lead player and that that moves on after each location, meaning each person gets a turn or two taking the lead hopefully. It's a real test of teamwork to play this well in larger groups but quite fun that way I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.