Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of questions on bluffing... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Hurl
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
As the corporation, would you be able to install a non-ice card as ice, for the purposes of bluffing; and likewise would you be able to install a non-agenda/upgrade/asset card in a remote server for the purposes of bluffing?

Thanks!

I'm going to be playing my first games tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no you cannot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. A card played as ICE needs to be ICE. A card played at the core of a server needs to be an asset/upgrade/agenda. You also cannot advance cards which cannot be advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Hurl
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Oh...

So you can "bluff" but not BLUFF...

Thanks for the responses, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find it odd in any tournament competitive game to have rules that need to be enforced on objects with hidden information. At least when Magic TG came up with Morph, it was made explicit in the tournament rules that at the end of a game the players must reveal any morphed creature to demonstrate legality of the move, and that having illegally played a non-morph as a morph would result in a game or match loss (and of course a DQ if intent to defraud can be demonstrated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakeshot wrote:
Oh...

So you can "bluff" but not BLUFF... :p
No, you can "bluff" (installing an ambush and try to get the Runner to believe it's an agenda) but not CHEAT (placing a card where the rules say it's not allowed to go). There's a difference between trying to make your opponents believe you have a straight flush, and sneaking extra cards into your hand to give yourself said straight flush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Personally I find it odd in any tournament competitive game to have rules that need to be enforced on objects with hidden information.

There's plenty of cards that can expose this hidden information.

Placing a card in a spot where it is not allowed to go, or advancing a card that cannot be advanced, creates an illegal game state that is explicitly mentioned in the tournament rules as "unsportsmanlike conduct", and this is what the TO can do about that:

Tournament Rules wrote:
The TO, at his or her sole discretion, may remove players from the tournament for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Personally I find it odd in any tournament competitive game to have rules that need to be enforced on objects with hidden information. At least when Magic TG came up with Morph, it was made explicit in the tournament rules that at the end of a game the players must reveal any morphed creature to demonstrate legality of the move, and that having illegally played a non-morph as a morph would result in a game or match loss (and of course a DQ if intent to defraud can be demonstrated).

AGOT has this with Shadow where you have to reveal anything facedown at the end of the match so I'm sort of surprised that ANR doesn't have this rule at tournaments as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

AGOT has this with Shadow where you have to reveal anything facedown at the end of the match so I'm sort of surprised that ANR doesn't have this rule at tournaments as well.

That wouldn't cover all the bases, either. Like when you install a new asset, upgrade or agenda in a server, you can then trash what was there before face down. Now the other player would have to remember where it was trashed from to double-check later whether it was legal there, and once he accesses Archives, it's even face-up among all the other face-up cards.

So I guess since uncovering hidden information at the end of the game doesn't remove gray areas anyway, FFG must have thought "let's save our players the hassle and count on them being at least a bit honest"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that there are expose effects, you would be taking a big risk of disqualification playing a card illegally. One Satellite Uplink or unexpected tinkering would see your illegal play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.