Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm creating this post for two reasons. First, I'd like to show off my incredibly awesome custom card box I had made for my Magic: The Gathering cube. Second, I want to promote the person (Jason at Custom Card Boxes http://www.customcardboxes.com/) who made the box because he deserves it.

But before we get to that, a little backstory about my history with Magic: The Gathering and cube drafting.

I first encountered the game back in the summer of 1994 (right before I went into seventh grade). My best friend's brother had just taught him this amazing new card game called Magic and invited me over to play it. Being the budding geek that I was, I headed off to learn it. After that, I played pretty much nonstop for three years (from Revised edition up through Visions) until I switched over to another CCG, Decipher's Star Wars.

Even though I stopped playing in high school, I still kept tabs on the game over the years via the various CCG magazines at the time (The Duelist, Scrye, Inquest) and WotC's website.

Fast-forward to 2009. I'm married, have my own house, and host a weekly game night for my friends. After acquiring the collections of my friends, I started to look into ways to put this sudden windfall of cards to good use. After spending some time researching, I came across the concept of the cube. What's a cube, you say? In regards to Magic, here's a quick primer (cribbed from various sources that I can't remember anymore):

Quote:
The Cube is a draft format where you get to play designer and developer. You get to choose your metagame. You choose all of the cards in it. You designate powerful strategies, archetypes, and you decide which foils to those strategies you would like to include.

A cube is a large pool of cards selected for the purposes of limited. It should should contain at least 360 cards so that you can support a standard eight-player booster draft. The actual selection of the cards will depend on the feel that you want games of your cube to have.

What you put in your own cube will reflect what you want out of it.

Practically speaking, the cube should be sleeved so that expensive cards don't get destroyed. You will also need to have enough sleeved basic lands to go around.

The initial cube that I built was fun, playable, and not balanced at all (I have a bias towards blue). Four years and six versions of the cube later (three of which were complete overhauls of it) I decided I wanted something nicer than a cardboard box to hold the vast source of fun that is a Magic cube.

I decided I wanted a nice wooden box. Something fancy looking. Something that would cause people to look at it and ask me what it was (and then quickly change the subject once I answered them). Lacking the tools and knowledge to build one myself, I went about searching for someone trustworthy enough to build one for me and that's how I came across Jason at Custom Card Boxes. After initially contacting him about it, we exchanged multiple emails over the course of a couple of weeks in order to nail down the specifics for the box. Throughout the whole process, Jason was very helpful. Even after a small mistake in the measurements on my part caused him to toss out an otherwise perfectly good box, he continued to be cordial to me (when he certainly had no right to be).

The end result is the box below:

The front of the box. Notice the sweet clasp.

By far the best part of the cube box is the lid. On it are engravings for each of the mana symbols in Magic.

A close up of one of the engraved mana symbols.

A shot of the inside of box before I moved the cube into its new home permanently.

I also had five dividers made to easily separate the lands needed for the cube. I also had them dyed to match the colors in Magic.

If anyone is interested in having an incredibly well built and gorgeous looking custom box for their favorite card game, you should quickly head over to Custom Card Boxes (http://www.customcardboxes.com/) and get in touch with Jason.

If you’re interested in building your own cube, whether for Magic or any other CCG, feel free to PM me. I have the most experience with building cubes for Magic, but I also have built cubes for Guardiansand the WARS TCG.

And, finally, if anyone's interested as to the contents of my Magic cube, feel free to look over the exhaustive spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtYXqzIVQj2mdEN...) I keep for it on Google Docs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful! I love the look of the mana symbols, particularly for black and green.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are pretty cool. Due to copyrights or trademarks or something along those lines, he couldn't use the official mana symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense, although the white and blue symbols aren't that far off! I know a year or so ago BGG had to get rid of microbadges with those symbols on them for similar reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know how many cards your cube box holds? Does it hold the cards when sleeved?

I want to get one as a present for my brother because he recently finished his powered cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the SUPER-LATE replay. This comment got lost in the shuffle between the holidays and the fact my first child (a boy) was born the on the 12th.

Enough about my life, here's some answers for you. The box holds 700 sleeved cards comfortably. I could fit more in but I have some small foam card dividers on either edge in order to prevent the box from crushing the cards on the end.

I got the box from a site called Custom Card Boxes http://www.customcardboxes.com/index.shtml.

He's incredibly good and very patient. I screwed up the measurements initially and he ended up creating a second box for me. He didn't even want to charge me (I still paid for it, though).

I hope it's not too late and helps you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.