Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that I can only unload gems at gem spaces or at spaces with ships. Unloaded gems go to the central harbor. Furthermore, I am only allowed to unload gems from cart and horse, not from backpacks. Fair enough. Now my questions:

1. Can I load a gem on cart or horse, and immediately thereafter, unload the same gem with the same action, to "transport" it to the harbor, for example, to make it difficult for an opponent to reach this gem (even if that would be costly)? The rules are vague about this, in my opinion, because they speak about "previously loaded gems", but I don't know if they mean "gems loaded in a previous turn", or not.

2. Are you allowed to unload a gem on a ship space, and load this gem again, with the same action, since it's now there where you take gems from? This could be useful, to "move" a gem from cart or horse to it's appropriate backpack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me a couple reads to figure out what you were asking, but I think I figured it out.

1) My interpretation (for what little it's worth), is that you can only unload a gem just prior to loading (either from a gem space or a harbor), ONCE. You can NOT load a gem onto your cart, unload it to the discard pile, and then pay to load a second gem to your cart.

But that does not stop you from paying to load a gem you do not really want and carrying it around until you want to load something different on a future turn.

2) That is kind of sketchy. The only stipulation a rules lawyer ninja might make is that the English rules state that unloading is specifically "IN ORDER TO reload a different gemstone". You need to actually pay to load another gemstone onto your cart or horse. I suppose you could get away with this at the 2-ship harbor.

Really though, this is unlikely to come up and it is a rather inefficient use of a turn. If someone insisted, let them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile, I had contact in german language with the game author, Michael Schacht. He says, everything I asked is allowed. So you can:

1. Unload a just loaded gem (only from unloadable items, of course). From this concludes, that loading and unloading don't have to take place in a specific order.

2. Load a just unloaded gem.

3. Unload without loading.

I didn't ask, if you can load onto any item only once per action. But after these very tolerant answers, I think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I checked again the still open question with a mail to Michael and it seems, that I misunderstood one detail:

Indeed, you are only allowed to unload gems, which you have loaded in a previous turn. From this concludes the implicit limit of one unloading per item per action. Number 2 and 3 are untouched by that. Sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.