14 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » General

Subject: Why All the Player Count Hate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I was thinking of buying this game as a fun and simple strategy game to take out when I have a lot of people over. Why are there so many people saying that it's boring with 6 players? We play Fury of Dracula and even if you removed the combat it would still be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jer Wolfe
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree totally...

Fury is one of the few Co-Op that is good with 2 (albeit 1 person has to play all the investigators, as in Whitechapel) and we never used the combat from Fury.
Main reason my wife and I removed the combat from Fury is I wanted Whitechapel, and could never trade/afford it and Fury, without combat, is Whitechapel-esque
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it's because of the time involved. With 6 players the game could drag very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about player count actually.

But yeah, too much downtime. Honestly if you have six people you should probably split up and play two games. Very few games play well with so many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about player count actually.

But yeah, too much downtime. Honestly if you have six people you should probably split up and play two games. Very few games play well with so many.
..? Really? I think most gamers have a belief that certain games only really play well at specific numbers, and that they'll never play certain games at certain player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
dboeren wrote:

..? Really? I think most gamers have a believe that certain games only really play well at specific numbers, and that they'll never play certain games at certain player counts.

Correct. And whitechapel is a 2 or 3 p only game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
I was thinking of buying this game as a fun and simple strategy game...

Although people report approaching whitechapel in this manner, I don't really understand how they do. LFW is, at it's core, an ultra competitive, hard-core, intense game. Perhaps the most hard-core game I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that the game is boring with more players than fewer players. It's that the game is semi-cooperative. The teams are one player (Jack the Ripper) against up to five players (The police). The Jack player doesn't have to coordinate with anyone else and his turn usually goes by very quickly. The police however have to plan and coordinate their actions in order to be effective and at the same time not fall into the "co-op alpha player syndrome" where one player is playing the game and dictates to the others what they should do.

The game plays fine. We've never played with less than four people and we have a great time with it but you need to be careful to make sure everyone is involved in the game, especially the Jack player, because he is moving in secret and his turn goes so quick, that player needs to be someone with lots of patience and, of course, ice cold blood and steel nerves!

It's really a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
broken clock wrote:

Although people report approaching whitechapel in this manner, I don't really understand how they do. LFW is, at it's core, an ultra competitive, hard-core, intense game. Perhaps the most hard-core game I own.

I 2nd this....to 'chase' and be 'chased' combined with the theme = EASILY the most intense board game I've ever played.

LOVE it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cowles
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
... not fall into the "co-op alpha player syndrome" where one player is playing the game and dictates to the others what they should do...

We use the turn over of the 'Head of Police' for each day to vary who's in charge - it works well for us.

panzer6 wrote:
everyone is involved in the game, especially the Jack player,...

I've only played with 4 or more and the Jacks have always enjoyed listening to the police plans and deductions (or mis-steps and obfuscations)

panzer6 wrote:
It's really a great game!

Seconded of thirded, wherever the praise has already got to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ppayes wrote:
dond80 wrote:
broken clock wrote:

I 2nd this....to 'chase' and be 'chased' combined with the theme = EASILY the most intense board game I've ever played.

LOVE it.

This, combined with the play length (two hours as BGG), may indicate that this might not be the optimal game for the purpose you presented of "simple game to just take out when there are people over".
You seem to own TtR Europe, Libertalia, and Flash Point, which you could say fit the bill.

But yea, Whitechapel looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I Fury is such a great game, I have been trying to get ahold of this for so long.. great FFG is posting it. Still I think from my Fury experience that the game will shine bets with a full compliment of players. 1 for each investigator and 1 for jack.

The game may be "hardcore" as people said, but I imagine it will be like Fury and great for new players and non-gamer mates after dinner. As you can play Jack and they can all play the hunters. Allowing you to direct the game but be in a completely separate position and not dictating thir moves, also as they are teamed up they tend to get into it more. My experience that games with this balance of player roles (fury, Descent, Mansions of Maddness etc etc etc0 are even better than full co-op games for non-gamers and new players.

dboeren wrote:
Honestly if you have six people you should probably split up and play two games. Very few games play well with so many.

while time in games is a factor.. I completely disagree with this. Boardgames are not computer games, much of their appeal is playing with mates and chatting and reacting to each other. It is the personal interaction that makes boardgames so great. more players == more interaction. I think that almost all games are better with more players if there is an option for it and the game is balanced correctly. (witch this game is from what I have read)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Kermit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game.....and do think it works as both an excellent two-player head to head (far more interesting than a game of chess ;-) )......but also with more players and more police.

The only downside of the game is the immediate win nature. so....Jack makes a mistake and is found or can't get home. that is the whole game ended. I know that is the whole point. But once or twice we had someone make a silly move, that made the victory feel hollow, and it cancelled out and wasted the 90 minutes of tension up to that point.

That said, had some brilliant nights with it too..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Fury with only 2 players is tough face to face because there's so much to do and keep track of as the hunters. Since Whitechapel doesn't have item or event cards or combat, it's a lot easier to play all the hunters together, IMO. Plus in Dracula each person still has a lot to do if you play with 5. Play Whitechapel as 6 and each individual investigator plays a very small part in actually interacting with the game and Jack, although it does add an extra mind to the analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.