Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I've gotten a couple of playtests in under my belt for my superhero game, and it has been met with quite positive feedback. I've tried to incorporate some of the points made into the latest iterration, but the big point is what I thought I'd ask you guys about here.

So the main feedback was that the final villain fight was rather anticlimactic, and the overall villain narrative was quite weak (I'm pretty aware of this as the villain bit is the area I've spent the least amount of time on)

I was thinking at the start of the game you'd choose a comic, which came with the game, certain crime cards which, instead of being the standard card with a test, outcome and pass/fail, would direct you a page of the comic you chose showing a confrontation with the villain himself, with outcomes for if just let the crime occur, if you stopped the crime and if you failed to stop the crime.

Now in my minds eye, you'd essentially be playing a comic book to its conclusion, and to allow replayability there would be various events in the comic and only a few would come up each time. My friend who is a creative sort but not a gamer immediately shot the idea down due to:

a. people wanting to create their own story not be on the rails.
b. lack of replay
c. the mechanics of reading a comic is quite clunky in a co-op

I'm curious what gamers/designers think and if there would be a way I could tweak it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sega had a game that did that, you tube video:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Hey guys,

I've gotten a couple of playtests in under my belt for my superhero game, and it has been met with quite positive feedback. I've tried to incorporate some of the points made into the latest iterration, but the big point is what I thought I'd ask you guys about here.

So the main feedback was that the final villain fight was rather anticlimactic, and the overall villain narrative was quite weak (I'm pretty aware of this as the villain bit is the area I've spent the least amount of time on)

I was thinking at the start of the game you'd choose a comic, which came with the game, certain crime cards which, instead of being the standard card with a test, outcome and pass/fail, would direct you a page of the comic you chose showing a confrontation with the villain himself, with outcomes for if just let the crime occur, if you stopped the crime and if you failed to stop the crime.

Now in my minds eye, you'd essentially be playing a comic book to its conclusion, and to allow replayability there would be various events in the comic and only a few would come up each time. My friend who is a creative sort but not a gamer immediately shot the idea down due to:

b. lack of replay

I'm curious what gamers/designers think and if there would be a way I could tweak it!

I know I'm answering out of order but... Maybe instead of the cards not coming up, have them where the players actions can change them into something else, causing the scenario to evolve? For the people that want to create their own story, maybe have it so that the story is written as they play, cards come into play based off of their actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Hey guys,

b. lack of replay

I think this is a better idea if you think the game could support multiple expansion, and therefore multiple comics. Otherwise, it might be best to keep things more compact and go for replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My view was to commission around 3/4 comics to go with it, and through kickstarter levels bring the total initial number to around 6.

With a view later to release more as expansions if it was successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
My view was to commission around 3/4 comics to go with it, and through kickstarter levels bring the total initial number to around 6.

With a view later to release more as expansions if it was successful.

Seems fine to me, then! Although WOW is that going to be a lot of artwork to commission...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've managed to get a nice comic artist who seems really keen on the idea, and he's really reasonable.

Writing the damn comics, theres the rub!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So it's like a multiplayer, comic presentation Fighting Fantasy game?
Sounds like it could be okay, or lame. Hard to do right, in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a small element of it is in the comic, primarily its a co-op superheroes vs the board thing. Think a more superheroey arkham horror. Its just certain crimes which are being carried out by the villain direct you into the villain comic, rather than just being a card with narrative on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Okay. Well, I watch with interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.