nigel robinson
United Kingdom
stoke-on-trent
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok i thought i would chime in with my review of the components and common complaints.

REVIEW

Rulebook:
The rulebook, is clean, well sized and full of beautiful illustrations, game play examples and photos. The "smell" quickly dissipated and is no worse than many other freshly printed books/rulebooks i have purchased. I was presently surprised by the number of scenarios presented and the variety of game play they offer.
On the negative side the rules need to be clarified fairly urgently via an FAQ, I don't believe there is any fundamental flaws to the game and no requirement for a rulebook 2.0 but there are many ambiguities or hinted rules that could do with being explicitly stated. The largest of which is perhaps the ability for the strain to start a scenario with nano by purchasing it? or to target their own figures to deliberately create nano.
7 out of 10 but likely to rise based on errata or FAQ

The Miniatures
The miniatures are FANTASTIC, the sculpts are varied, intricate and down right creepy in the case of some of the strain. The amount of figures you receive between the game and biohazard level pledge is astounding for the price. They a simple to put together with well placed injection points that are easy to clean up.
On the negative side the two largest figures the Cthonian and Grendlr have some minor warping but this is easily rectified by the heat treating mentioned elsewhere. From a board gamer POV the amount of time and effort to glue the parts together and clean them up may be a bit daunting and this is definitely NOT an open the box and start playing type of game, but the end results ARE worth it. 9.5 out of 10

The game boards
Many people appear to have an issue with these here is my perspective, Firstly the boards are more than thick enough and not too thick to stand too proud of the tabletop. I have witnessed no curling/warping or humidity distortion from exposure to my home (uk). The artwork on the boards is good to exceptional and in keeping with the setting, the boards are "dark" but not excessively so and this appears to be a design choice to highlight the gloomy creepy space station interior, i personally feel if they were much brighter it would detract from the game atmosphere. 8.5 out of 10

The tokens
The token sheets are good, but no more than a 5 out 10, i would have preferred them to be double sided and there is a "slight" mis-align but not detrimental to their usage. I feel the iconography used is OK but could have been clearer especially as there are so many different types of token. The plastic tokens however are fantastic and better than most industry comparable tokens easily 9 out of 10.

The cards
the cards are functional, with great artwork, they include all the required information to keep gameplay moving and are well laid out.
The negatives, it seems strange that the biohazard cards flip differently to the boxed ones but this is minor and cosmetic only. The card-stock used is mid range and I would have preferred something more sturdy and wearable. 7 out of 10

The dice
The dice in the boxed set are functional and OK, the bonus dice included with Biohazard are great and I wish I had ordered more, it would be great to replace the standard dice with these in future print runs. 8 out 10.

The Box
Personally the box is simply a functional device to hold all the components neatly on my shelf, but I have no complaints, the artwork is unique and would stand out on a retailers shelf, the size is large but appropriate and I don't seem too have the same issue as other posters about fitting the board tiles back in the box. No damage in transit. only improvement would be some cheap foam be included to pad the figures back in the box for the boardgamers out there (mini gamers can stop cringing now) 9 out 10

Overall
I feel the game and its contents are great, as a miniature line they are beautiful and as a board game easily the equal of its peers. only currently let down by an ambiguous rule set. 8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your numbers don't seem to match your words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
The Fallen wrote:
Your numbers don't seem to match your words.

This. You say the rulebook doesn't do its one job - convey the rules - and still give it a 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morgan
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
70% seems right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
njr5 wrote:
target their own figures to deliberately create nano.

Not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevis Marlar
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
I agree with the "not allowed" part.
To the original poster, thank you for your review. I liked it. The rules will even themselves out, as they have with other games that are part of this hobby.
To Shinners: Dude, your negativity stalking on this game is creeping me out. What's up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the game boards are very dark, especially the boards that dont have light areas are so dark in overall that you really need very good light conditions to be able to make out the different segments of the map without a problem. I'm not against "dark theme" but it is very tedious when you have to investigate the gaming board in order to see if there is a wall, a room or an empty space next to your trooper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the images that were published on the KS

Mine are a good 30% darker than that, I can't even see the rails on the right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, mine's darker than the kickstarter pics as well. The floor is dark grey and the yellow is dark orange (and both look similar) on mine. Also the blue doors are darker and blend in with the black frame on all game boards. But the worst is the one with the catwalks covering the whole board, I really cant distuingish where the catwalk runs above the open space because the gold and the blue are so dark that you barely can tell them apart.

Is everyone having dark colored boards or is it just few cases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
Is everyone having dark colored boards or is it just few cases?

I was going to say mine are dark as hell, too, but it sounds like yours are worse. I can see the walkway borders and the blue doors are pretty clear, but the train area is dark. Yours must be almost black.

In any case, yes, mine are much darker than the KS pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Haskell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here too, the boards are probably too dark to even attempt to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Australia
MOUNT DANDENONG
VICTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to border on the "too dark" issue. Mine are dark also but not dark enough not to be playable but they're not that far off being hard to tell. It also depends on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.