Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
The TIE Interceptor is one of four “Wave 2” expansion sets for the X-Wing miniatures game. I think there are lots of reasons to add a TIE Interceptor (or 3) to your Imperial fleet; here are a few that stood out the most to me.

First, you get 6 new pilots (including 3 unique pilots with some very nice special abilities). Unique pilots include:

Soontir Fel, a level 9 pilot (the highest level) whose special ability reads, “When you receive a stress token, you may assign 1 focus token to your ship.”

Turr Phenir, a level 7 pilot whose special ability reads, “After you perform an attack, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.”

“Fel’s Wrath”, a level 5 pilot whose special ability reads, “When the number of damage cards assigned to you equals or exceeds your hull value, you are not destroyed until the end of the combat phase”.

Second, it also includes two upgrade cards (one of which are exclusive to this expansion set at the time it was released): Daredevil and Elusiveness.

Finally, the TIE Interceptor also has the new “Boost” action, which allows you to move 1 extra straight, bank right, or bank left for your action (this can come in very handy to help you set up a shot or avoid being targeted by an opponent). Plus, it has 3 attack, which means it is more likely to succeed at a hit than Wave 1 Imperial ships which have only 2 attack.

The expansion also includes all tokens, dials, etc. that you need to use this ship in a game (though a copy of the base set is still needed to play).

Given all the nice new things it adds to the Imperial side, I think it is definitely a worthwhile addition to the game. I liked it so much that I bought 3 so I can run a 100 point squad that includes 3 TIE Interceptor and 3 TIE Fighters.

Note: I won one Kessel Run and came in Third at another. I currently own the TIE Interceptor and Slave 1, and my friend won an A-Wing. So, we've been able to give these 3 in particular a try. Comments on the Falcon are based on playing against it at one Kessel Run and seeing it played at another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Inglis
Australia
Springfield Lakes
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the Upgrade card Elusiveness is also available in the Millennium Falcon Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, just updated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El_Tonio wrote:
The TIE Interceptor is one of four “Wave 2” expansion sets for the X-Wing miniatures game. I think there are lots of reasons to add a TIE Interceptor (or 4) to your Imperial fleet; here are a few that stood out the most to me.

FTFY.

TIE Interceptors have all the advantages of TIE Fighters (e.g. high agility, low squad points cost - although the cheapest is 50% more expansive than the cheapest TIE Fighter) and improve on them greatly by adding Boost and 50% more attack dice (!!). I can't wait to try Howlrunner + Stealth Device (from the Firespray expansion) and an Elite Talent (probably Push the Limit or Elusiveness) + 4x generic TIE Interceptors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
El_Tonio wrote:
The TIE Interceptor is one of four “Wave 2” expansion sets for the X-Wing miniatures game. I think there are lots of reasons to add a TIE Interceptor (or 4) to your Imperial fleet; here are a few that stood out the most to me.

FTFY.

TIE Interceptors have all the advantages of TIE Fighters (e.g. high agility, low squad points cost - although the cheapest is 50% more expansive than the cheapest TIE Fighter) and improve on them greatly by adding Boost and 50% more attack dice (!!). I can't wait to try Howlrunner + Stealth Device (from the Firespray expansion) and an Elite Talent (probably Push the Limit or Elusiveness) + 4x generic TIE Interceptors.

This sounds great, but exactly what I am afraid of. Are people going to only play the Interceptors now? Or do you think that the TIE still has a place in a fleet?

The 3x Tie and the 3x Tie Int. build looks good. Lose a Tie and add Howlrunner in there, or find a way to add Vader.

I like that the cost is high enough to make it a hard choice, but that is a LOT of fire power for the points. They are pretty mean dudes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:

This sounds great, but exactly what I am afraid of. Are people going to only play the Interceptors now? Or do you think that the TIE still has a place in a fleet?

The 3x Tie and the 3x Tie Int. build looks good. Lose a Tie and add Howlrunner in there, or find a way to add Vader.

I like that the cost is high enough to make it a hard choice, but that is a LOT of fire power for the points. They are pretty mean dudes.

I think a big swarm of TIE Fighters will still be the most effective weapon against a Rebel squad (assuming they have enough time on the clock to finish them all off), but a squad full of TIE Interceptors will do much better in an Imperial vs Imperial mirror match and will still be competitive against Rebel builds (I think)... so I feel as though the TIE Interceptor will replace the TIE/ln for tournament play where mirror matches are possible. But in a tournament where it's always Rebel vs Imperial (if such a tournament existed), I might prefer a TIE swarm or some mix of Fighters and Interceptors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, and as per the response in the other thread, the A Wing is not that good, and the big ships are not cost effective in your mind.

This Wave will be interesting how they make the game environment, i.e. scenario's, etc, to equalize the playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.