Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Slave 1 / Firespray-31 is one of four “Wave 2” expansion sets for the X-Wing miniatures game (and 1 of the first 2 large ships released in the game – the other being the Millennium Falcon which I review separately). The MSRP is $30, but you can usually get it for +/- $20 if you shop around or wait for a sale. All things considered I think this ship is a great, must have addition to the game. Here’s why.

First, you get 4 new pilots (including 3 unique pilots with some very nice special abilities). Unique pilots include:

Boba Fett (the baddest bounty hunter in the galaxy), a level 8 pilot, whose special ability reads, “When you make a bank maneuver, you may rotate your dial to the other bank maneuver of the same speed.” This gives you lots of flexibility to set up or avoid an attack.

Kath Scarlet, a level 7 pilot whose special ability reads, “When attacking, the defender receives 1 stress token if he cancels at least 1 critical hit.”

“Krassis Trelix”, a level 5 pilot whose special ability reads, “When attacking with a secondary weapon, you may reroll 1 attack die”.

It also includes a generic “Bounty Hunter” pilot with no special ability so you can use more than one of this ship in a game if you’d like.

Second, it also includes MANY upgrade cards (most of which are exclusive to this expansion set at the time it was released): Homing Missiles, Assault Missiles, Ion Cannon (with a 90 degree firing arch , which is different from the Y-Wing Ion Cannon Turret which has a 360 firing arch), Heavy Laser Cannon, Veteran Instincts (increases your pilot skill by 2), Expose, Seismic Charges and Proximity Mines (both are bombs you can release as part of your move and they each work in different ways), Gunner, Mercenary Copilot, 2 Stealth Device (a 3 point upgrade that lets you increase your agility by 1 until you are hit the first time), and Slave 1 (even though it is called Slave 1 on the box, the expansion is really for the generic Firespray-31… this upgrade cards lets you actually call it the unique Slave 1 and gives you a minor special ability if you do). It should be noted that some of the upgrades can only be used on this ship, while others can be used on any ship for either side.

Finally, it has two firing arch (a 90 degree firing arch in front, and a 90 degree firing arch in back). You can fire your primary weapon using either firing arch, but you have to fire secondary weapons from the front firing arch).

The expansion also includes all tokens, dials, etc. that you need to use this ship in a game (though a copy of the base set is still needed to play).

Given all the nice new things it adds to the Imperial side, I think it is definitely a worthwhile addition to the game. I preordered 1 right away, and may get a second if it looks like it might be fun to play 2 in a single game using the generic pilot.

Note I came in first at one Kessel Run event, and third at another. So I currently own the Slave 1 and TIE Interceptor expansions. A friend of mine also won the A-wing expansion. So, these reviews are based on owning and playing with these ships, while the review of the Falcon is based on playing against it at one Kessel Run event, and seeing it played at another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the overview. At first I wasn't convinced that I was going to pick up the Falcon and Slave I but after seeing all the upgrades and variety they offering, I've been sold. My wallet will soon feel the sting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad the review helped. In case you don't know, you can get the Falcon and Slave 1 for $20 each on Cool Stuff Inc or Miniature Market (that's a $20 savings across both of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play a balanced game, one should definitely buy a couple more X-wings at least to play with this ship. Just having the core set in addition to this ship is not enough to use it properly. Just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.