Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
The A-Wing is one of four “Wave 2” expansion sets for the X-Wing miniatures game. I think there are lots of reasons to add at least 1 (and probably more) A-Wings to your Rebel fleet; here are a few that stood out the most to me.

First, you get 4 new pilots (including 2 unique pilots with some of my favorite special abilities from Wave 2). Unique pilots include:

Tycho Celchu, a level 8 pilot whose special ability reads, “You may perform actions even when you have stress tokens.”

Arvel Crynyd, a level 6 pilot whose special ability reads, “You may declare an enemy ship inside your firing arc that you are touching as the target of your attack.”

Second, it also includes several upgrade cards (a few of which are exclusive to this expansion set at the time it was released): Concussion Missiles, Homing Missiles, Cluster Missiles, Push The Limit, and Deadeye.

Finally, the A-Wing also has the new “Boost” action, which allows you to move 1 extra straight, bank right, or bank left for your action (this can come in very handy to help you set up a shot or avoid being targeted by an opponent). Plus, the two generic pilots cost 17 points and 19 points, making it possible to have 5 good to very good rebel ships in 100 point squad for the first time (a Y-Wing without an Ion Cannon Turret doesn’t count in my humble opinion). In short, most of the A-Wing’s pilot abilities, actions, and upgrades are designed to make this a VERY fast and maneuverable ship. On the down side, it only has 2 hull and 2 shield, making it the easiest of the Rebel ships to kill so far.

The expansion also includes all tokens, dials, etc. that you need to use this ship in a game (though a copy of the base set is still needed to play).

Given all the nice new things it adds to the Rebel side, I think it is definitely worth getting at least 1 (I bought 3 to give myself some more flexibility, but I can imagine some people wanting as many as 5 to have a 100 point 5 A-Wing squad that is tough to catch).

Note I came in first at one Kessel Run event, and third at another. So I currently own the Slave 1 and TIE Interceptor expansions. A friend of mine also won the A-wing expansion. So, these reviews are based on owning and playing with these ships, while the review of the Falcon is based on playing against it at one Kessel Run event, and seeing it played at another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bow B4 Zod wrote:
the SCALE!

Oh cut it, you're beating a dead horse here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bow B4 Zod wrote:
FFG should have offered two of these A-Wings at correct scale in a single package. After all, if this is a 'miniatures' game, then at least the minis should be in scale to eachother.

It is, of course, critically important to remember how important and consistent scale was within the Star Wars films...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I love how Chewbacca's feet are visible. It reminds me of the Flintstones and the way their cars were propelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Also, would that photo have been from the Star Wars Holiday Special not the films? I say that because it's a television camera and I can't think of any parts where it is only Han and Chewie in the cockpit together without anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.