Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Bobalex
United States
brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I'm moving this from the "Feel the love" subforum:

So tomorrow, I am proposing to my girlfriend of 3.5 years and what better what then over a game of werewolf? We are both gamers and she has no idea it's coming

Anyway, I was hoping this forum could help me a bit on the actual logistics and execution of the proposal. I was planning on waiting until the last round of eyes closed, and durin this time, I would have all my friends clear the room, me change into my tux, light a candle between us, and turn off the lights. I will tell her to open her eyes and then do my thang.

What do you guys think??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zutman888 wrote:

So tomorrow, I am proposing to my girlfriend of 3.5 years and what better what then over a game of werewolf? We are both gamers and she has no idea it's coming

Anyway, I was hoping this forum could help me a bit on the actual logistics and execution of the proposal. I was planning on waiting until the last round of eyes closed, and durin this time, I would have all my friends clear the room, me change into my tux, light a candle between us, and turn off the lights. I will tell her to open her eyes and then do my thang.

What do you guys think??

Change quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
zutman888 wrote:

What do you guys think??

Change quickly.

Sounds like a trap. I say convince the village to lynch her before she kills again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very sweet! Sounds like a great way to execute things. I would say leave the lights on though until she opens her eyes because even when your eyes are closed, you can tell when there's a change in lighting. It will help keep the surprise. Also, this is just a personal thing, but I don't really see the use of a candle in the dark. Candles are romantic, but you in a tux with a ring is already so much! I think doing it in the light is nicer because she can appreciate the moment more, as well as the ring, and you could even have someone capture a video of it on a smart phone or camera to share with friends and family later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
zutman888 wrote:
So tomorrow, I am proposing to my girlfriend of 3.5 years

Isn't she a little young? At least, maybe wait until after kindergarten?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zutman888 wrote:

What do you guys think??
Cool idea! I'd keep things simple, so she can't tell what's happening with the eyes closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violintides wrote:
That's very sweet! Sounds like a great way to execute things. I would say leave the lights on though until she opens her eyes because even when your eyes are closed, you can tell when there's a change in lighting. It will help keep the surprise. Also, this is just a personal thing, but I don't really see the use of a candle in the dark. Candles are romantic, but you in a tux with a ring is already so much! I think doing it in the light is nicer because she can appreciate the moment more, as well as the ring, and you could even have someone capture a video of it on a smart phone or camera to share with friends and family later.

I'd really pay attention to the girl in the room. The rest of us guys just make jokes and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zutman888 wrote:

What do you guys think??

This sounds very sweet. The tux sounds like it will be hard to do though, without extending the eyes closed part past normal time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miraria wrote:
zutman888 wrote:

What do you guys think??

This sounds very sweet. The tux sounds like it will be hard to do though, without extending the eyes closed part past normal time.

Maybe having 1 hour nights is a benefit to the online game. whistle

Yeah, change quickly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Important:

How much does she like Werewolf? Is she a very romantic, old-fashioned type of girl? Has she ever talked about friends' proposals before in a gushing way? Is she shy or outgoing? How good of friends are your Werewolf buddies?

What I'm really wondering is that without knowing your girlfriend, it's hard for me to tell if this is the "perfect" proposal idea. Many guys decide to propose in a big showy way, when all the girl wants is something intimate and romantic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
tl;dr

Only do it if you KNOW she is going to like it and say yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with all the "it sounds sweet" comments. I do think it's maybe a tad too elaborate to actually pull off as you've initially planned it. How will everyone leave the room without tipping her off? What happens if she gets nightkilled or lynched early in the game?

I think it's best for you to wait until you've played a game or two tomorrow, and then on night one wake her up and ask her to marry you. It'll be a surprise, she'll be thrilled and your friends will be there to congratulate you right away. Then you two can leave (for a little bit or for the night) and you can make gushy declarations of love or just celebrate being together or whatever privately.

(Also, by proposing on night one, no one will have wasted effort playing the game and it'll be easy for them to start over with a new game if/when you guys leave.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
Obviously, you need to get yourself killed D1 or N1 so you have time to change and set up.

Not sure everyone needs to leave the room. That will be loud and draw attention.

I say, go into night phase, then you come out and kneel in front of her. Have the moderator go through the night actions as usual, so she suspects nothing when she opens her eyes in the morning.

Or, best yet, I think, stack the deck and make her the Seer. So, when she wakes up in the night phase, you are there.

You can turn the lights off for every night phase previous so as to make it no so suspicious when it's go time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
Everyone else has to be in on it, of course. And the game where it happens is a dummy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
tl;dr

Only do it if you KNOW she is going to like it and say yes.

qft.

Make sure it's all about her and not about what you are doing for her.

First lesson in getting married, you don't matter anymore. It's not wrong. You'll learn it's actually a relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Obviously, you need to get yourself killed D1 or N1 so you have time to change and set up.

Not sure everyone needs to leave the room. That will be loud and draw attention.

I say, go into night phase, then you come out and kneel in front of her. Have the moderator go through the night actions as usual, so she suspects nothing when she opens her eyes in the morning.

Or, best yet, I think, stack the deck and make her the Seer. So, when she wakes up in the night phase, you are there.

You can turn the lights off for every night phase previous so as to make it no so suspicious when it's go time.

i agree with this and with megan's comments above. It sounds very sweet but it seems like it might be too elaborate to pull off as planned so might need some tweaks just to make sure it doesn't go awry.

I was also going to ask why you were having everyone leave the room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
zutman888 wrote:
So tomorrow, I am proposing to my girlfriend of 3.5 years

Isn't she a little young? At least, maybe wait until after kindergarten?

Best comment ever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miraria wrote:
zutman888 wrote:

What do you guys think??

That was my thoughts, she might start wondering what is going on if she starts to hear people moving around and stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
And this might be unnecessary advice, but it's one I've given multiple guys when they've asked me about this sort of thing.

When proposing make sure you end with a clear yes or no question. You'll be nervous in the moment and so will she. Asking a direct question lets her know when and how to respond. So, feel free to make a long gushy speech if that's your thing, but then end by looking her in the eyes and asking a question with her name in it.

For example:

"Jane, will you marry me?"

"Jane, will you be my wife?"

"Jane, will you spend the rest of your life with me?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
Important:

How much does she like Werewolf? Is she a very romantic, old-fashioned type of girl? Has she ever talked about friends' proposals before in a gushing way? Is she shy or outgoing? How good of friends are your Werewolf buddies?

What I'm really wondering is that without knowing your girlfriend, it's hard for me to tell if this is the "perfect" proposal idea. Many guys decide to propose in a big showy way, when all the girl wants is something intimate and romantic.

Yeah, I have a friend that would be mortified with something like this... she says proposals should NEVER be in front of other people, cause then you are making it harder for the girl to say no. Assuming this is a surprise and maybe she isn't ready for it. When my husband proposed I had a very strong inclination it was what he was trying to do (on a beach in FL at sunset), and frankly I didn't make it very easy for him... LOL. But obviously I did say yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
bluelise wrote:
And this might be unnecessary advice, but it's one I've given multiple guys when they've asked me about this sort of thing.

When proposing make sure you end with a clear yes or no question. You'll be nervous in the moment and so will she. Asking a direct question lets her know when and how to respond. So, feel free to make a long gushy speech if that's your thing, but then end by looking her in the eyes and asking a question with her name in it.

For example:

I think most girls understand what's happening when the boyfriend drops to a knee and pulls out an engagement ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like if you use her full name, it adds dramatic effect.

"Jane Michelle Roddenberg, will you marry me/be my wife/etc"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
bluelise wrote:

For example:

I think most girls understand what's happening when the boyfriend drops to a knee and pulls out an engagement ring.

Yes, but the "QUESTION" gives a clear time to get off of your knee and kiss her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and:

Don't worry about your speech. If you don't videotape it, she won't remember anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you do make a speech, make it short and simple. Then get on one knee, pull out the ring, open the box, and ask the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.