12 Posts

Europe Engulfed» Forums » Variants

Subject: Reinforce via sea too : Unbalansing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Christodoulou
Greece
flag msg tools
Would it be very unbalancing if reinforcing units could not only come from adjasted areas but via sea transport too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz 'farmer'
Poland
Oleśnica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,
unbalanced and kind of unrealistic - IMO.

yours,
farm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Interesting question. Considering a turn is 2 months not necessarily unrealistic. It may be more realistic since it would allow a British reinforcement of Greece for example.

I don't know how unbalancing it would be but also how much would it be used? Presumably it would be only into an area with a port or beachead and would have to come from an area with a port (i.e. be an operational move)

It would probably favour the allies slightly as it would allow them to defend in the med with fewer units since they could react with an SA. However it would depend on the restriction. If it took 1 SA per unit I can't see it being used much. If 1 SA bought you a complete Op move then it may be too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Christodoulou
Greece
flag msg tools
Thats exactly what I was thinking of.
In my last game my brother amassed axis forces in the Spanish border.

It seemed quite unrealistic to me that I could not react to such a movement during my turn. It was like I knew for 2 months that Spain would be invaded and I could not ready some corps of mine to reinforce the possible invasion sites while the Spanish could defend in the Pyrineas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Try an experiment with a house rule.

You can spend an SA to reinforce via the sea.
The reinforcement must follow the usual Op move rules (ie from a port to a port or beachhead and may get naval combat)
Only one unit can depart from each eligible port for each SA spent
Fleets used for transport must not have been used for transport on the reacting players previous turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Johnson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nakraal wrote:
Would it be very unbalancing if reinforcing units could not only come from adjasted areas but via sea transport too?

Sort of depends what you mean.

If you mean, spend a SA to reinforce a battle, it would be both unbalancing and unreasonable in the time frame of the game. You can't (1) detect a battle (2) gather/load ships (3) ship troops (4) unload troops (5) deploy troops in time to make a difference. Would it be incredibly unbalancing? Probably not...

If you mean use sea transport to reinforce a contested hex (not battle) with either standard operational move OR spend a SA to get an extra operational move, then yes it's totally reasonable. IF you control the port. Note the rules already allow this.

I will add that if I were the Axis, I would be delighted for the British to ship units to Spain. They won't make a difference, they will die quickly, and they will leave Britain vulnerable to losing the Med and the British home isles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unrealistic: No, turns are 2 months thats a long time. Especially since its operational movement

Unbalancing: Not really. Depends on how you view it. I would argue it favors the allies more than the axis, only because the allies are more naval dependent. Its like saying strategic movement is unbalancing because the Germans have interior lines of communication vs exterior lines (AKA its all connected by one landmass).

Precendent: If you can retreat by sea, why not reinforce by sea? I am unaware of any rules that prohibit it.

Need for house rule: Not required see above precedent.

IMHO,

H6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
The rules as it stands don't allow it. What you can do with a Reinforce SA is set out in the rules and it doesn't include making operational moves via sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this needs an official ruling from the desingers.

I think its within the spirit of 7.6 given all naval operational rules are applicable, and its reciprocal is well documented in rule 7.51.

Is this one of cases, that the designers just did not include the specific example.

Rick and Jesse help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general principle, rulebooks don't tell you everything you can't do, because that would make for a very long rulebook. They just tell you what you can do, and you assume that if it's not mentioned, then it's not allowed.

Rule 7.6 says that by spending a Special Action, you can bring in a unit from each adjacent uncontested area. That's it. That's the limit. No units from two territories away, none from across the sea, none from the force pool, none from a different game that you just opened up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot reinforce by sea via Special Action.

You want to make a house rule, go ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Rick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.