Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Corn Storehouse - can u use it on non-sown fields? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stratocumulus stratocumulus
msg tools
Hello all,

the question is:

I want to use the Corn Storehouse card. Can I use it on fields that have JUST been emptied (which means there was corn on these fields before), or - if only I have corn in my storage - can I sow also "virgin" fields, that have never been used before?

I'll be thankful for any guidelines on this topic, because I don't wanna have more fall-outs with my girlfriend on that

Below the relevant text of the card:

Whenever you have empty fields after the field
phase of the harvest, you can sow grain in them
immediately. Place 1 fewer grain from the supply
on these fields.

Is used during the harvest at the same time as the
Water Mill I103 and before the Harvest Helper
I223.
The effect of the Corn Storehouse is optional.
You may choose to sow fewer fields than you’re
able to sow.
You may use the Corn Storehouse to sow on the
Acreage K105, but not on fields for other goods
than wood (e.g. Copse I78 and Forester K278).

Respect 2 All,
stratocumulus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stratocumulus wrote:
I want to use the Corn Storehouse card. Can I use it on fields that have JUST been emptied (which means there was corn on these fields before), or - if only I have corn in my storage - can I sow also "virgin" fields, that have never been used before?

Below the relevant text of the card:

Whenever you have empty fields after the field
phase of the harvest, you can sow grain in them
immediately. Place 1 fewer grain from the supply
on these fields.
As long as the field is empty after the Field Phase of the Harvest, you can use the Corn Storehouse to Sow them with Grain... even the Grain that you just took out of them in the Field Phase that was just completed.

Agricola has very little "memory" that is not indicated by some kind of piece on the board or on a card. (Case in point: cards like Well, which instead of saying "You get 1 food at the beginning of the next 5 rounds," says "Place 1 food on each of the next 5 Round spaces. At the start of each round, you get the food."(*)) Read the card and do what it says: if the field is empty after the Field Phase -- regardless of what its status was before the Field Phase -- you can sow Grain on it.

(*) I don't have the card handy, so this may not be an exact quotation. It's close enough to prove my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Q. Can I use it on fields that have JUST been emptied (which means there was corn on these fields before),

Yes. or - if only I have corn in my storage - - if you had grain in your fields before the harvest, you will now have grain in your supply (you take them off during the harvest phase) which you can then use to sow any empty fields (1 grain in each+1 from supply)

Q. can I sow also "virgin" fields, that have never been used before?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stratocumulus wrote:
Hello all,

the question is:

Can I use it on fields that have JUST been emptied (which means there was corn on these fields before), or - if only I have corn in my storage - can I sow also "virgin" fields, that have never been used before?

The answer is yes in both cases.

If you harvest the last grain from a field during the field phase, then you meet the condition of having an empty field after the field phase of the harvest. If you have a "virgin" field, it is also empty, and qualifies for use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
The text really should be "After the field phase of the harvest, if you have empty fields..." instead of "If you have empty fields after the field phase of the harvest...". The latter kind of implies that the fields must be emptied by the harvest, while the former unambiguously does not care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stratocumulus wrote:
Hello all,

the question is:

I want to use the Corn Storehouse card.

No you don't. whistle

Ok, sorry go on!

stratocumulus wrote:
Can I use it on fields that have JUST been emptied (which means there was corn on these fields before), or - if only I have corn in my storage - can I sow also "virgin" fields, that have never been used before?

I'll be thankful for any guidelines on this topic, because I don't wanna have more fall-outs with my girlfriend on that

Yes, you can do both of these things. The card says you use it "after the field phase". That means that you've already harvested goods. So if you have empty fields at that time, you can sow them with grain. It doesn't make any difference why the fields are empty. You simply wait till after you've finished the field phase and then look to see what is empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
TwitchBot wrote:
stratocumulus wrote:
Hello all,

the question is:

I want to use the Corn Storehouse card.

No you don't. whistle

Yeah, that was pretty much my thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stratocumulus stratocumulus
msg tools
Ok, thank you guys for your advice, that concludes the case I suppose!

Best regards,
stratocumulus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.