Subject: Why did I purchase this 1 month prior to the bar exam? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Goyette
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Oh man did I make a mistake. I've been studying (fairly) diligently for the bar exam since Christmas. The exam is in a month. I play short solo board games (Thunderstone:Advance, Space Hulk Death Angels, Strat-o-matic baseball) at night as a "reward" for getting my studying done. So far, so good.

However, I've also been slowly working on learning to play Magic Realm via the RealmSpeak online implementation. Mage Knight comparisons kept popping up as I researched the game. I already own and enjoy Vlaada's Through the Ages. I start watching YouTube videos of gameplay, and I say to myself "Wow. I must have this game. But not until AFTER I've passed the bar exam." Did you hear that self?

Apparently not. I happened to be nearby the Chicagoland Dice Dojo yesterday. It's an awesome store, but I rarely get in there because it's not close to my house. Well the car starts driving itself in that direction, and 5 minutes later I've, of course, purchased Mage Knight.

What a game! I already enjoy it more than TtA, which I think is overrated on BGG. I've played the solo First Reconnaissance scenario twice already. Highlight was playing as Tovak, burning down a monastery at the edge of a tile, flipping another tile next turn and...what do you know?? Another monastery! Let's burn that one down too!!

Vlaada has done a masterful job re-working classic games (Advanced Civ => TtA, Magic Realm => Mage Knight) by taking some core concepts from those games but re-working them to make them easier to get into, easier to play, and more fun. His adoption of card-based gaming into these existing game ideas has been brilliant based what I've played of his so far, especially when comparing his games to the "originals".

I guess the next discussion I need to have with myself is about Galaxy Trucker...but, listen up self, not until AFTER the bar exam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrion Gru

Ohio
msg tools
The real reward is passing the bar, Mr. Goyette! Yeah, Mage Knight is a GREAT game, but it'll be there next month. Good luck with the bar, then have a mega-session with MK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I promised myself I would slow down on buying board games this year...then I watched gameplay videos of Mage Knight, just like you.

That was a mistake.

I haven't gone over my budget for the month just as you haven't failed your exam, but this addiction definitely isn't helping either one of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Major error! Good luck resisting until the exam is done (and good luck with the exam too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Goyette
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The game's been banished to the storage closet in the basement. I can have all my Strat-o-Matic cards out in plain sight on my desk while I study, but MK is too tempting. I think this says a lot about the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan B
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah watch out. I've been playing Mage Knight instead of working on my masters and now it's starting to catch up. This is one highly addictive game.

Good luck with your exam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.