Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't notice the videos segment of this site I wanted to point out a couple of videos that I did detailing how I went about repainting my A-Wing minis (I only have one).

First, I started by stripping the paint - http://boardgamegeek.com/video/24762

This was the scariest part, since I couldn't find anybody else who had done this and I wasn't entirely sure that I wasn't just going to destroy a perfectly good mini. Long story short, I was successful. The models appear to be made of polystyrene so anything that you would normally use to strip paint from styrene minis should work here. I used Winsor & Newton brush cleaner/restorer.

Then I painted the mini - http://boardgamegeek.com/video/24983

The tricky part is keeping the paint thin enough that it doesn't fill in the detail. Other than that, it's pretty much like painting anything else. I was pretty happy with the final results:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ballinger
United States
Magnolia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, WOW, just WOW!! It looks incredible.

Second, thanks for sharing the process. I'm leery of attempting a repaint, but if I get up the courage to try, I know what my reference will be.

Again thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the risk with your (currently) irreplaceable mini to find a way to strip the paint!

The Proto A-Wing also looks fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos, great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

The McQuarrie painting has always been one of my favorite pieces that he's done so when the A-Wing was announced I knew that this was going to be my first repaint. For the record, I think that the paint on the minis is plenty good and I have convinced potential clients that repaints aren't necessarily worth the money. In this case though I had a vision that I wanted to see realized. Now that I've done it I'm tempted to do more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done! I bet it looks even better in real life.

Also, Citadel Paints, eh? That's pretty rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:

Was that irony?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayAdan wrote:
jack of spades wrote:

Was that irony?

Actually, no... I honestly haven't seen anyone buy or use Citadel paints in a while. Then again, folks around here don't like GW very much in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like citadel paints, but I have a lot of the previous series and haven't yet had a chance to try out all the new stuff. Layer paints are as good as they have always been. I do not know about the new replacement for the foundation paints. The new washes are ok, but not as good as the old ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:
JayAdan wrote:
jack of spades wrote:

Was that irony?

Actually, no... I honestly haven't seen anyone buy or use Citadel paints in a while. Then again, folks around here don't like GW very much in general.

Interesting. I can understand the GW angst. It's pretty much ubiquitous with any company that gets as big as they are. But nobody around here stops buying their paint because of it.

I use a little bit of everything. I use a lot of Citadel since it's easily accessible but I also use a lot of P3 (the blues on the A-Wing were P3), Vallejo, Jo Sonja, Tamiya, Liquitex, Golden, Testors... the list goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
I like citadel paints, but I have a lot of the previous series and haven't yet had a chance to try out all the new stuff. Layer paints are as good as they have always been. I do not know about the new replacement for the foundation paints. The new washes are ok, but not as good as the old ones.

I wasn't sure about the new washes at first either, but now that I've gotten used to them I'm not sure why I thought the others might be better. They're just different. A little less pigment, I think.

The bases are pretty good. The color choices are much better than the Foundation range (which all looked like they were made from mud). I think that they might not cover quite as well, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ya ya
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great !

i wonder : how long is the Awing FFG miniature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Savory
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
I followed your instructions, thanks for those!

I live in the UK so I couldn't get hold of the paint stripper you used. I used an off-the-shelf product called Dettol (stinks to high heaven!). It removed almost all the paint after a 6 hour soak. It didn't damage the model but did soften the small plastic tube on the base (but not too badly).

Photo link below, my hand's are not as steady as yours (or as the used to be!)

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1615984/vsavory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.